Discuss Light fixture box - 2 black, 1 white, 1 red in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

flyguy611

DIY
Reaction score
Im a cautious DIY'er - respectfully, please don't just tell me to hire an electrician, thank you.

Having trouble connecting a new light fixture to a ceiling fixture box in the dining room. I had it working at one point but it stoped working, I assumed it was just a loose connection but haven’t been able to get it running again.

The box has 2 black wires, 1 white, and 1 red. I thought this should be some sort of circuit with two wall switches, but I’ve never found the other switch. I added a dimmer switch on the wall switch, but this was after I had it working, and it worked after the dimmer switch was installed.

Currently, I’ve got the two blacks tied off and pushed out of the way, and running the black from the light to the red from ceiling box, and white from light to the white from ceiling box.

Any suggestions?

note: in the pictures the two blacks from the box are pushed up out of view52766710-904c-4be5-9e2e-708525743c87-jpeg.160818.jpega7c2c3da-1de5-44db-91ca-0ecec84271dc-jpeg.160819.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Was the original light connected to white and red.

Was the original light connected to white and red.
Im not 100% sure. I realized that there more wires than normal after I can already unhooked them, so I didn't get a picture or write down how it was connected previously. I do know that it did work for awhile using the current configuration.

Put the original switch back in place of the dimmer.
Can you show the wiring at the switch.

Last edited:
Replacing the old switch did work! Not sure why I hadn't tried that yet. When I went back to the dimmer switch, it still does not work. I guess the dimmer switch just failed? Any chance I've wired the dimmer switch incorrectly?

Attaching pictures of the dimmer and the old switch.

Thanks for your help!tempImagexxDxVI.jpgtempImagetB9DmN.jpg

Replacing the old switch did work! Not sure why I hadn't tried that yet. When I went back to the dimmer switch, it still does not work. I guess the dimmer switch just failed? Any chance I've wired the dimmer switch incorrectly?

Attaching pictures of the dimmer and the old switch.

Thanks for your help!View attachment 93280View attachment 93281
you could do with trimming the cables back, should not have bare copper on show.

What type of light is it, LED, fluorescent?

You can confirm the dimmer still works by swapping it at another switch with a standard lamp if you have one or swap out the LEDs at the new one.

Reply to Light fixture box - 2 black, 1 white, 1 red in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net