Discuss Light in ceiling missing, just 3x grey lighting cable in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

cmars70

DIY
Reaction score
The property I've moved into has no light in the lounge, just 3 grey wires (each containing the live, neutral & earth wires) poking out of the ceiling rose. How do I identify which wire does what?

Can you show a picture.

Can you show a picture.
Hi,
Sorry, I'm not at the property so unable to add photo. Basically, there is a hole in the ceiling with 3 grey cables poking out! The 3 earth cables have been joined together which strikes me as evidence of some form of ceiling rose connector. I'm unsure of which wires are coming/going to what!

Going to be difficult to advise without seeing it and even then we may not be able to help. Some form of testing may be necessary and being a DIYer this may not be a safe course of action.

Going to be difficult to advise without seeing it and even then we may not be able to help. Some form of testing may be necessary and being a DIYer this may not be a safe course of action.
Ok, thanks anyway. The property is 75 miles away and I can't get there for a week or so due to work & family.
If it helps, there are 2 switches that operate that light, 1 in the room & 1 outside it?

Ok, totally understand. I'll get photos as soon as I can. In the meantime, thanks for your help

Reactions: DPG
Nice of the previous owners to leave it like that….
Twits.

It is likely that some of those wires are live, so be careful when you do get back in.

If you post a rough location, someone from the forum could maybe help out personally for a nominal, alcohol based fee

Nice of the previous owners to leave it like that….
Twits.

It is likely that some of those wires are live, so be careful when you do get back in.

If you post a rough location, someone from the forum could maybe help out personally for a nominal, alcohol based fee
Ha ha, now that's my kinda currency!!!
When I get some time to get back to the property I'll post up a location, see if there's anyone around.
Thanks for your help

Reactions: DPG

Reply to Light in ceiling missing, just 3x grey lighting cable in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net