Discuss Light switch wiring query in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hey all.. Newb query but I've tried all combinations and no joy..

I'm refurbing a house and wiring seems to differ circuit to circuit..

I'm changing light switches in kitchen and corridor.. Both wired as found however now lights won't turn off at all..

Both rooms are 2 way and the kitchen switch 1 won't turn off and switch 2 won't turn on or off

Initial wiring on kitchen was com=red l1=blue and l2=yellow and leftovers.. However this now doesn't work and all combos seem to either keep light on constantly or not get power at all..

The corridor switches are upstairs control which works fine... Downstairs control won't turn off light in downstairs passage so constantly on and won't turn off.

First pict is kitchen where 2nd light won't power on and first won't power off.. 2nd pict is corridor where upstairs works fine on n off but downstairs won't power off. Note the difference in circuit wiring

Any hints

Attachments

• 16268830804838931208830257750378.jpg
    170.7 KB · Views: 34
  • 1626883098969517767300184332002.jpg
    237.9 KB · Views: 34
It probably won't power off because you have both reds connected to the same terminal presumably one of them is live and one is switched live. Have you removed any links or anything? Also earth the face plate- very important

It probably won't power off because you have both reds connected to the same terminal presumably one of them is live and one is switched live. Have you removed any links or anything? Also earth the face plate- very
Thanks very much...

Is it just a case of individually fixing and testing each red... Ive tried that and even with a single red in, when it's on it stays on

No idea what's going on in the first photo, with two reds and a yellow all going into the same non-common terminal. But all that bare copper shouldn't be on show.
In the second photo, the far switch seems to have two red wires going into the common terminal, but nothing in the other terminals. The switch won't do anything like that! Putting one of those reds in an unused terminal on that switch might make it work, but if that's supposed to be a two way circuit, something's missing!

Reply to Light switch wiring query in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net