Discuss Lighting cable needs extending in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Soozypoo

DIY
Reaction score
Hi all
my dad was an electrician and did work on my house in the early 2000s , i had plaster wall lights and am now in the process of redecorating and wanted to change them , they are seldom used as have downlights in the ceilings, so it’s mainly decorative lighting .I am confident enough to fix up the new wall lights I have purchased,however the existing cable coming out the wall is not long enough to reach the connector block in the new light fittings probably need around another 5cm length I have tried to gently pull to see if it releases any more cabling but it doesn’t I was told by someone I need to rip the cable out and start again but how am I going to do that as it’s running down a cavity ,plus I have no idea where it goes to ,probably into a ring in the bedroom floorboards somewhere which is now covered with laminate ,so that’s not a possibility,have looked into terminal boxes but they are all too large to fit in the recess of new light , again I’ve been told not to use these anyway as they are a fire risk ,so what options do I have ,I know the wall was previously chased out when they were originally fitted but surely there is a simpler way than having to pull all my flooring out in the bedroom rip up the floorboards ,re chase the wall add in a longer cable and have it replastered just to fit a new wall light lol?
many thanks in advance

Can you not move them up a bit this would give extra length.

Can you not move them up a bit this would give extra length.
I could try but if it has metal conduit over where it was chased I’m gonna have to cut that too ,not sure if crimping connectors would suffice ,won’t be hidden in the wall just in the recess of the light fitting which I swear has been made in such an impossible way to get the wires in the block 😂😂 always remember my dad saying this about people providing their own lighting was often the most awkward designs ever lolLighting cable needs extending 16378421-48F6-42E4-8206-8306439C95EA - EletriciansForums.net

Last edited by a moderator:
Bit of confusion as you stated cavity not a solid wall. An electrician would be able to raise them or extend it without too much grief, bit odd the cable has two red conductors.

Bit of confusion as you stated cavity not a solid wall. An electrician would be able to raise them or extend it without too much grief, bit odd the cable has two red conductors.
Could it be because one is switched line ? I have a double switch next to my front door which controls what was once the hallway and landing ,but I also have a triple dimmer that operates them from the lounge side , we removed wall between hall and lounge , it was 22 years ago so I can’t fully remember back how they were done ,Its A mid terrace ex local authority , I know when he fitted my burglar alarm the mains cable came through cavity as you can feel draught when we took the panel off to decorate 5 yrs ago . I remember the area running above this light cable dipping in slightly as we had to had to refill over it ,sadly as my dad has passed away I can’t ask him how he did it anymore for sure

Reply to Lighting cable needs extending in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock