Discuss Lighting spur off ring main in the Canada area at ElectriciansForums.net

E

Earthy

Is it ok to spur off the socket ring if an adequate fuse is inserted between ring and wall lights? Reason, I'm 2330 and replaced a like for like chandelier and this was on the light circuit but the wall lights were on the spur(off the ring)... told the electrician that this should have been noted on the consumer unit. Is all ok?

Yes, it should be as visible as any other switch, not buried under floor or in back of fitted wardrobe etc. Have seen and found (eventually) both. Dont know about making notes about it at CU.

This is where things seem slightly strange.....possibly massive over regulation and yet, simple things don't seem to be pointed out in the ( hugely complicated, indecipherable) regs.

No names mentioned in this case but the CU only stated circuits , no ampage, no indication of areas covered (ie ring for kitchen, ring for all other habitable areas).

Competent person or not, most of the public might attempt to solve what they consider to be 'household problems', yet I can't see the rules in place to help them.

The Lec told me it was explained in the paperwork......yeah..... but would your average guy/gal understand a word of that?

Shouldn't dedicated circuits be so.... Lighting(for lightings sake etc) ....we might protect the general public if we can properly protect ourserlves..............?

....please comment, particularly in relation to the CU and DEDicated circuits..........

Reply to Lighting spur off ring main in the Canada area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hi guys, newbie posting! Does the following sound ok... Existing circuit: SOCKET on a ring -> spur to SWITCHED 3A FCU -> SWITCH -> hardwired FAN...
Replies
Views
Good evening. Currently sorting out my girlfriend’s flat for rent. I’ve found all sorts of bad electrical work. Can anyone advise if this is an...
Replies
Views
Hi, if getting back to the CU is not an option, instead of spurring off a socket via a Sfs putting the rating down to 13a. Could you spur off the...
Replies
Views
As I've mainly done site work and moved into domestic recently, I'm a bit rusty on stuff like this, but if I'm adding a loft PIV unit to an...
Replies
Views
Ok. Can you cut a ring in half, add junction box, then run a spur off it? I thought it had to be from a socket? Mate of mine wanted me to see if...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock