Discuss lights in swimming pool in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

P

pushrod

Father in law has a swimming pool with underwater wall lights in cyprus built by local firms. Just wondering if it was in this country how would it be wired? Would it be mains rcd protected or done via a transformer and extra low voltage or something else?

Normally 3-phase 410 volts, with ip protection at 24. Do not attempt to change a lamp without earthing the pool, dangle an 25mm earth wire in the pool, then run to sand, bury the earth rod at a depth of 40 fathoms under sand and thus the sea bed.

Dolphins don't like em, but hey, elf and safety don't mind -;)

3 phase to a 5metre pool in the garden? There's only a pump that runs about 8 hours a day and a couple of underwater lights.

thought IP for immersed in water was 8, and don't understand the "earthing of the pool". He's halfway up a mountain :confused:

if your'e training to be a sparks read 'special locations' in the regs. its all there.;)

dosnt mean anything over there tho.

hes taking the mick lad

Last edited by a moderator:
I too am wiring an underwater light for a pool. It is in the regs, but I am confused with the part that says the light must be accessible from behind???

reg 702.410.3.4.1 states that in zone 0 only protection by SELV at a nominal voltage not exceeding 12 V a.c. rms or 30 V ripple-free d.c. is permitted, the source for SELV being installed outside zones 0, 1 and 2.

(i) Zone 0
This zone is the interior of the basin of swimming pool or fountain including any recesses in its walls or floors, basins for foot cleaning and waterjets or waterfalls and the space below them.

(ii) Zone 1
This zone is limited by:
- zone 0
- a vertical plane 2m from the rim of the basin
- the floor or surface expected to be occupied by persons
- the horizontal plane 2.5m above the floor or the surface expected to be occupied by persons.

Where the swimming pool or fountain contains divingboards, springboards, starting blocks, chutes or other components expected to be occupied by persons, zone 1 comprises the zone limited by:
- a vertical plane situated 1.5m from the periphery of the divingboards, springboards, starting blocks, chutes or other components such as accessible sculptures, viewing bays and decorative basins
- the horizontal plane 2.5m above the highest surface expected to be occupied by persons.

(iii) Zone 2
This zone is limited by:
-the vertical plane external to zone 1 and a parallel plane 1.5m from the former
- the floor or surface expected to be occupied by persons
- the horizontal plane 2.5m above the floor or surface expected to be occupied by persons.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for that Ninjadeathstalk i'll print that off and take it with me when and i'm next out there and have a proper look. All the electrics are in a pumphouse that is immediately beside the pool but below the level of the pool, so you go down a little ladder into it. If the filter, pumps etc were to spring a leak then that little pumphouse and electrics could end up submerged - definitely doesn't seem to be right on the zones for this country. I suppose they have their own rules out there - just hope it is safe.

This is True:
I worked at Windsor Safari Park, many years ago (it no longer exists, I think a legover land now)

Winnie, the killer whale was showing off, in fact it was going ape**** trying to kill me when I worked close to the tank, not kidding it was going mad trying to hit me with its tail fin...

Anyhow the park was owned by Trident Television at the time, they sent a big time charlie down an 'electrical engineer'...when he arrived he called for me, asked what have I done?
Err nothing I said

He then poked a neon screwdriver in the pool (this is absolutely true) and said I have made the pool 'live' ...I watched sure enough the neon lit, he said how/ what have I done...I thought I was on game for a laugh, and played along for a bit. Then I realised this guy was serious, soon as I realised I suggested he go back to college for a revision course. He got pretty mad when I said that, I then decided to insult him further cos he was now really annoying me, he basically had the iq of a kit-kat but he was high up in electronic field for Trident....anyhow I got sacked for ridiculing him.

It turned out, when they got a real expert in from some marine biologist place, it was the noise from hammer drills driving the whale nuts, not 'live water'

I have a 10 metre swimming pool with 2 lights built in the sides. They are SELV 12 volt fed from a socket which I have switched from inside the house. When I work on the lights, even to replace a lamp, I remove the plug from the sockets so they are totally isolated. To access to the lamps one remove's the lens, mine unscrew and can fit different colour lenses, then the lamp housing just pulls out. Might be a little stuck if is not been out for a while but there is plenty of flex to pull it to the surface. Then I remove the water tight glass front to access the 12 volt lamp. Fitting is the reverse. It's not rocket science.

Reply to lights in swimming pool in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net