Discuss Limited company directors NI in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

That can't be correct can it?
I know plenty of people who have a full time paye job plus another job that they do on a self employed basis.
As long as it's declared on their tax return what's the problem?
If true then that makes a lot of firemen law breakers.
I think what Essex is trying to say is:
“It’s illegal to be paid as a subcontractor if you’re being treated as an employee.”

This thread demonstrates perfectly that sparks can’t give tax advice as we can’t agree (like economists) AND the UK tax system is too open to interpretation

That can't be correct can it?
I know plenty of people who have a full time paye job plus another job that they do on a self employed basis.
As long as it's declared on their tax return what's the problem?
If true then that makes a lot of firemen law breakers.

What I am saying is it is illegal for someone to work for a company as a PAYE but get paid as a SE contractor. I am not saying you cannot work for company A as PAYE and for company B as a subbie. I am saying you cannot work for a company as a subbie if you are really working as PAYE but not being oaid as PAYE.

All this is on the HMRC website and is very clear.

I don’t know whether it’s actually illegal, but if HMRC find out they will take action against the employer to make them pay what’s owed.

If you are the company managing director it is crystal clear that you are responsible for the day to day running of the business and as such should be employed PAYE. There is no way a managing director can get away with considering themselves as a casual worker with no responsibility for their work to warrant SE employment. It is a joke to even consider as such.

^^ darling with pople is abother key attribute ..... sumething surely licking in mont trades pople too

You cannot work for Company A in any capacity and then also sub-contract to that Company

You CAN work for Company B as a sub-contractor, you simply declare the income as untaxed income, or taxed income from another source.

The most efficient way to pay yourself as a Director is to either pay just below NI limits and then use the remaining unused tax to offset dividend tax or you pay yourself to the limit of your tax free earnings and then pay tax on everything above.

There is now also a personal dividend tax of 7.5% on all dividends paid above £2000. So for tax purposes its 19% Corporation Tax and from you a further 7.5% until you hit your marginal rate. Ltd Company is becoming a less attractive option unless you have a non-working wife who you can employ.

Remember also that HMRC get very funny indeed about interim dividends and will require a full blown account producing. I believe it is still possible to pay yourself an interest free loan provided that it is paid off inside the tax year, otherwise they expect interest to be paid.

As others have already suggested this really is one for the Accountant.

When I had my Ltd Co, I registered it for CIS.
I then had to make a monthly return listing all the subcontractors my Ltd Co employed.
If I did not employ anyone that month, I had to make a NIL return.
If I only employed myself, I was still required to submit a return, listing myself as the only subcontractor.

I find it very odd that it would be illegal to employ myself as a subcontractor, yet I was required to list myself on the return.

As for the suggestion that you cannot work in a roll for a company, and then subcontract to that company in another roll, you need to think again.
This again is something that I have personal experience of.

Spinlondon.

A couple of observations

1 : CIS means paying full personal tax including above the marginal rate, so until now dividends would have only attracted 20% and not marginal tax, so you would have paid more Tax through CIS surely ?

2 : HMRC have for several years operated a test that determines if you are genuinely self-employed or not. On the face of what you say you would have failed that test. I believe the Pimlico case now locks this up.

3 : Operating CIS avoids NI and tax from a Ltd Company, and also is at odds with the legal requirement for a Director to work in the interests of the shareholders by maximising revenue.

4 : HMRC is seriously understaffed and uses many staff who simply work from basic training or scripts. It also does not have the resources to chase up smaller amounts or every piece of wrongdoing it identifies. It concentrates on the bigger, easier and cheaper to Prosecute cases. Prosecuting a smaller Company or an individual may cost tens of thousands more than can be recovered and so is seen as being a waste of taxpayers money.

5 : I imagine your accountant considered there was some benefit to you but my accountant this morning was very negative indeed about such an arrangement.

To start with, I don’t mind paying tax or NI.
I would rathe pay less than more, but I’m not out to fiddle anything.

The majority of my work is through agencies, and agencies won’t pay direct unless you have a Ltd. Co. Some agencies are now refusing to pay Ltd. Co.s direct.

Without a Ltd. Co. you get paid through a payroll company, owned by the agency you’re working for.
The payroll company charges a fee which is now somewhere around £30.

All I want, is to get my money without having to pay someone to get paid.

Spinlondon.

A couple of observations

1 : CIS means paying full personal tax including above the marginal rate, so until now dividends would have only attracted 20% and not marginal tax, so you would have paid more Tax through CIS surely ?

2 : HMRC have for several years operated a test that determines if you are genuinely self-employed or not. On the face of what you say you would have failed that test. I believe the Pimlico case now locks this up.

3 : Operating CIS avoids NI and tax from a Ltd Company, and also is at odds with the legal requirement for a Director to work in the interests of the shareholders by maximising revenue.

4 : HMRC is seriously understaffed and uses many staff who simply work from basic training or scripts. It also does not have the resources to chase up smaller amounts or every piece of wrongdoing it identifies. It concentrates on the bigger, easier and cheaper to Prosecute cases. Prosecuting a smaller Company or an individual may cost tens of thousands more than can be recovered and so is seen as being a waste of taxpayers money.

5 : I imagine your accountant considered there was some benefit to you but my accountant this morning was very negative indeed about such an arrangement.

Well said.

Let me try you with a scenario.
I stop working as an electrician, and go work in a car repair garage.
I’m there a few months and my boss decides to have installed a new 2 post lift.
The new lift needs a supply which the lift installers won’t do, so my boss has to get an electrician in to do it.
He gets 3 quotes, then offers me the work for the cheapest quote.
I agree and when the work is complete, I invoice my boss.

According to you, that would be illegal.
According to me, that would be all fine and above board.

To start with, I don’t mind paying tax or NI.
I would rathe pay less than more, but I’m not out to fiddle anything.

The majority of my work is through agencies, and agencies won’t pay direct unless you have a Ltd. Co. Some agencies are now refusing to pay Ltd. Co.s direct.

Without a Ltd. Co. you get paid through a payroll company, owned by the agency you’re working for.
The payroll company charges a fee which is now somewhere around £30.

All I want, is to get my money without having to pay someone to get paid.
Not trying to be argumentative or controversial, but if you are aid through a Ltd Company operated by an Agency then you are in effect subject to IR35 and working through an umbrella company, which is an iniquitous system foisted on us by Labour, and tightened down by those poltroons Osborne and Hammond. Now you get none of the benefits of paid employment but pay far greater tax than anyone else.

It has hugely damaged the public sector such as Crossrail, LUL, Network Rail, HS2, etc because these organisations are simply paying the normal salary but under IR35 conditions which means double NI and no access to pension, sick pay or holiday pay that you do not pay for additionally out of your already overtaxed pittance With CrosssRail paying £300 a day for senior engineers, you can see why the Project is now a national embarrassment. All travel and lodging costs are not allowed neither are any out of pocket expenses so by the time you have paid for these the oney being paid is on par with a bus driver, so many senior engineers have retired or work overseas.

I understand that the NHS has a major problem with the massively high number of contract staff it has.

Reply to Limited company directors NI in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock