Discuss Link 2 LED Xmas strings to one larger Transformer or LED Driver ?? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Mandak

DIY
Reaction score
I have 4 sets mains / 36v LED strings and I would like to merge 2 sets to one power supply - plaese advise is this possible and what size transformer / LED driver would be needed?

Each string has 1152 bulbs at 0.043 per bulb
Label on wire of Lights states 36v~2.33A, 84VA then 1152Lx0.0645W,1.5v/43mA

The transformer reads:
PRI: 230-240V~50Hz 0.50A
SEC: 36v~ eff 2.33A , Max: 84VA
Lamp 36v,10-84VA

Thanks in advance of any help :)

Seems like 24 bulbs in series make 36V and then 48 of those connected in parallel consume 48 x .043A = just over 2A; almost ties up? 🙂

Taking the labels on the string and the transformer at face value, it looks like your light strings are running from a 36v ac supply (ie constant voltage), and each string takes a total of about 2.3A
If you want to run two strings from one transformer, that transformer needs to supply 36V at 4.6A, lets say 5A, = 180VA approx. (unless you put strings in series (=72V) which comes with a couple of complications)

A quick look for 230V to 36V 5A transformers does not reveal many off-the-shelf options. Transformers with dual 18V windings seem more readily available, where you could connect the two secondaries in series.
Here's one possible option, which would require an enclosure with appropriate connections/terminations to be constructed:

So £65 plus the cost of housing it, connectors etc. It might be cheaper to try a dc power supply (not knowing what if anything is embodied in the strings by way of current regulation) but for the power you need, the cost may be in the same ballpark.

This is not going to be inexpensive to do - is it not practicable to use the transformers provided with the strings somehow?

Thanks for the reply
We have 5 sets of thees lights an only 3 working transformers - Hence the merge 2 into one question - was hoping for a simpler solution perhaps with an LED driver.
We can get a set of similar 36v new lights for £60 (link below) but seems a waste when the lights are all fine.Struggling to find correct rated transformer , but haveemailed Transformer Manufacturer Czjutai in China - no answer yet.Also just seen that Konstsmide do 36v transformers too so may call them on Monday.
Once again thanks for the advice

Thanks for the reply
We have 5 sets of thees lights an only 3 working transformers - Hence the merge 2 into one question - was hoping for a simpler solution perhaps with an LED driver.
We can get a set of similar 36v new lights for £60 (link below) but seems a waste when the lights are all fine.Struggling to find correct rated transformer , but haveemailed Transformer Manufacturer Czjutai in China - no answer yet.Also just seen that Konstsmide do 36v transformers too so may call them on Monday.
Once again thanks for the advice

If you can get a transformer from the original supplier/ manufacturer, that would be the obvious way to go.
Apart from the fact that the transformer provides ac, and an LED driver will provide dc, I couldn't find a powerful enough LED driver to run two strings.
If the 'merge two into one' is not a key requirement, you might find a cheaper transformer or driver for one string - but that wasn't your question!

Edit: I suspect the Konstsmide 'transformer' is not a literal transformer in the inductive sense (which would be expensive), but an electronic 'transformer' designed for the specific intended load, so you would need to be careful if buying an equivalent, to make sure it's suitable.

Last edited:

Reply to Link 2 LED Xmas strings to one larger Transformer or LED Driver ?? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net