Discuss Looking for help/info about my troopy battery setup in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm pretty new to 4x4's etc, so please go easy on me, just looking for some help/info.
Some background: I have a 92 landcruiser troopy (75 series) with 100watt solar panel on the roof + dual battery redarc setup, I have an old style 45L engel fridge connected to the auxillary and a kings pwm regulator coming from the solar panel
This past weekend I had my fridge running during the day, and turned off at night, on the third day I started getting a noise and a red light from (what I think is) the isolator, and at the same time, a light flickering of both the headlights and cd player display, following this, I started losing power from my secondary battery/accessories. I turned my fridge off that night, but didn't turn back on in the morning, I then drove the 4+hours home the next day and everything seemed ok.
My big questions are, is this an issue? I'm quite worried about the headlights flickering, also, I'm curious why my secondary battery is losing so much power when I have both that and a solar panel powering only a fridge.
Please let me me know if this is all normal or if there is an issue with the setup I have, and I can provide any other details if you need. I'd love to learn more about all of this and understand it alot better!

Thanks

https://Upload the image directly to the thread.com/2MLr1Ym
https://Upload the image directly to the thread.com/lM4wGdL
https://Upload the image directly to the thread.com/1sfNJgH

TL;DR
Looking for help/info about my troopy battery setup

Attachments

• 20220605_172318_exported_11030.jpg
    286.7 KB · Views: 5
  • 20220605_172318_exported_6131.jpg
    294.4 KB · Views: 5
  • 20220605_172318.mp4
    35.2 MB
Unfortunately a fridge is quite a large load to be running off a battery.
3 straight days have run the battery flat

Unfortunately a fridge is quite a large load to be running off a battery.
3 straight days have run the battery flat
I mean, it wasn't exactly 3 days straight, I turned it off in the evenings and it happened on day 3, so essentially 2 days and turning it off at night. Plus I would have thought the solar panel would help to power the fridge aswell, surely a fridge only running for 2 days (and only during the day) with a solar panel, wouldn't completely drain a battery that quickly

I would not be surprised to see a fridge draw between 5 and 10 amps from the battery, so a fully charged 100Ah battery would be flat in between 5 and 10 hours of use
a 100w solar panel will provide at best under good sunlight, 100/14= 7amps
but be aware that is when the panel is pointing directly at the midday sun.

I would not be surprised to see a fridge draw between 5 and 10 amps from the battery, so a fully charged 100Ah battery would be flat in between 5 and 10 hours of use
a 100w solar panel will provide at best under good sunlight, 100/14= 7amps
but be aware that is when the panel is pointing directly at the midday sun.

Ah fair enough, and the headlights? Is it normal for these to be flickering when the secondary battery is the one that is running low?

Depending upon the charging arrangements, at low engine speed the aux battery may pull the start battery voltage a bit low.

Reply to Looking for help/info about my troopy battery setup in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net