Search the forum,

Discuss Loop in at ceiling rose or switch? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Personally, I think you both have very valid points. I guess its as others have stated in that it all depends on the situation. Mind you, not that I have any experience of doing it but I'd imagine clipping three cables into every switch chase instead of one could become very tedious.
Yep...it isn`t just about whats going on behind the switch front......its getting the cables there (and back) n all in any semblance of order............

So ....no containment at the down-lighters for the building wire loops, ...really, ...OK , lol!!!

At a single 1 way one gang maybe, but that's not always the case is it, especially in hallways/porches etc!! The last thread on this subject someone actually posted a photo of a switch looped switch, it looked as if you would need to force the dammed switch plate back into the box. So not my imagination at all!!

What you may call a satisfactory answer, is not necessarily anyone else's! I think i've made my position just about as clear as i can, if you don't agree that's fine too. I'm not telling you how to wire anything, you've been in this game long enough to decide that for yourself.

So ....no containment at the down-lighters for the building wire loops, ...really, ...OK , lol!!!

At a single 1 way one gang maybe, but that's not always the case is it, especially in hallways/porches etc!! The last thread on this subject someone actually posted a photo of a switch looped switch, it looked as if you would need to force the dammed switch plate back into the box. So not my imagination at all!!

What you may call a satisfactory answer, is not necessarily anyone else's! I think i've made my position just about as clear as i can, if you don't agree that's fine too. I'm not telling you how to wire anything, you've been in this game long enough to decide that for yourself.
Just to add my twopenneth here eng before bedtime......we often find it can get a bit congested behind switch fronts.....so just go for a deeper box................

Just to add my twopenneth here eng before bedtime......we often find it can get a bit congested behind switch fronts.....so just go for a deeper box................

And very good advice too!! But then, ....just how often do you see electricians these days spending more time chopping out for those deeper boxes?? Not very often is it!!!!

I almost always fit a 35mm box. I've easily managed to fit 8 cables (2* feed's, 3* switch lives and 3 3core's) into a single 35mm backbox no trouble, dress it in all neatly and it will push in like a dream

I almost always fit a 35mm box. I've easily managed to fit 8 cables (2* feed's, 3* switch lives and 3 3core's) into a single 35mm backbox no trouble, dress it in all neatly and it will push in like a dream

A perfect example!! I Rest my case!! lol!!!

Way too much like hard work for me! How on earth do you contain 8 cables in a chased out wall? Must be a right old mission!

You've lost me there E'.....maybe I'm having a blonde moment but you'll have to elaborate.

Last edited by a moderator:
A perfect example!! I Rest my case!! lol!!!

Like I said, dress it in neatly and it will fit in like a dream, take your time and it will be no trouble at all, go at it like a bull in a china shop and you will struggle dressing it back.

The switch in question was on a landing with 2 2way's for up and down, a 3core for a fan and 3 switch lines. All you have added into that switch instead of taking the feed into the rose is 3 extra cables (Feed and Fan) Still would of been 5 cables there regardless, 3 more isn't going to make to much difference. I use 1mm 3core anyway so I've got more play dressing it in. Id much rather work at switch height doing it than working above head at a pendant with aching arm's and a creaking neck!

Reply to Loop in at ceiling rose or switch? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net