Discuss Loop In/Out connections in light fitting in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Nickj

-
Reaction score
I often come across bathroom lights or similar with the loop in/out connections brought into the light enclosure and connected using choc blocks (or in some cases just twisted and taped!). I rarely see heat resistant sleeving used, although I sometimes do.

My question is, to be fully compliant with BS7671 is this practice acceptable?

I want to change my bathroom light (just a pendant at the moment, no IP rating) to a bathroom light. I could lift the boards in attic and move a lot of stuff or I could use wago connectors with plenty of heat resistant sleeving. Thoughts? :)

Hi - heat resistant sleeving is not an approved enclosure for a cable joint, and it won't provide strain relief for the junction. So that'd be a no from me :) There are specially made junction boxes for lighting that will do all that for you. Just FYI, a bathroom is classified as a special location so changes are notifiable to your local building control for their inspection and approval unless performed by a registered electrician who would certify the work and inform building control of the change. Lots of folks here can help you. Just saying.

Hi Wilko, the joint wouldn't be in sleeving it would be through a wago connector however the exposed cores would be sleeved in heat resistant sleeving for heat resistance. i agree regarding strain relief and would prefer to use a suitable enclosure in attic, however I see this done so often that I wonder if it is indeed acceptable.

Re Notification, I do believe like for like does not need to be notified, special location or not :)

Get a fitting which is LED, if not and heat is an issue sleeving the cable isn't going to help the Wago connector - porcelain connector's would be better.

Hi Wilko, the joint wouldn't be in sleeving it would be through a wago connector however the exposed cores would be sleeved in heat resistant sleeving for heat resistance. i agree regarding strain relief and would prefer to use a suitable enclosure in attic, however I see this done so often that I wonder if it is indeed acceptable.

Re Notification, I do believe like for like does not need to be notified, special location or not :)
No it won't need notifying, Wago connectors definitely the way to go. HR sleeving will only be required if the running temperature within the fitting is likely to cause the conductor insulation to deteriorate, no harm fitting it though. As the previous Post suggests try to get a LED fitting.

Hello 123, LED fitting is a good idea, so I am right in thinking that all the lights I come across that have the connections made in the light fitting enclosure are indeed non compliant with the regs?

The best solution (although by no means the easiest) is for me to get up into the attic clear it all and put a wago box or similar up there (screwed to joist), fun weekend upcoming!

Click Flow connectors? Or Wago light box? I've heard the LINE enclosures (grenades) are good, too (though you have to buy a box of 44).

Just FYI, a bathroom is classified as a special location so changes are notifiable to your local building control for their inspection and approval unless performed by a registered electrician who would certify the work and inform building control of the change. Lots of folks here can help you. Just saying.

Just FYI, a bathroom is classified as a special location according to BS7671, but the Building Regulations' definition differs, in that it only considers the areas equivalent to BS7671's zones 0, 1 and 2 to be a special location. So if the work is outside the zones (as defined in BS7671) then notification is not required. The Building Regs also permits "replacement, repairs and maintenance anywhere" [without notification] (Approved Document Part P, 2.7). Just saying. ;)

Hello 123, LED fitting is a good idea, so I am right in thinking that all the lights I come across that have the connections made in the light fitting enclosure are indeed non compliant with the regs?

The best solution (although by no means the easiest) is for me to get up into the attic clear it all and put a wago box or similar up there (screwed to joist), fun weekend upcoming!
Terminations are fine wthin the fitting but use Wagos and not unfixed block connectors.

Most bathroom fittings are not suited to a conventional loop in system. If this is the case then the best way would be, as said, to joint in a suitable enclosure above the ceiling and bring a single cable to the light fitting. Any exposed basic insulation within the fitting may need heat sleeving depending on the type of fitting.

I'd consider a LED bulkhead.

Hi westward, thanks again for your input. I did wonder how I come across so many if they really are against the regs but I wanted to check here. In your opinion wago connectors inside the light fitting are compliant?

Hi westward, thanks again for your input. I did wonder how I come across so many if they really are against the regs but I wanted to check here. In your opinion wago connectors inside the light fitting are compliant?
Yep is the most sensible way to do it unless you want to risk your neck in the attic fitting some sort of enclosure which ain't necessary plus you wll do a better job within the light fitting than crawling around in the attic.

Here's one then.
559.5.3.1 The installation of through wiring in a luminaire is only permitted if the luminaire is designed for such wiring.

Would "through wiring" apply to a looped permanent live, and would "designed for such wiring" require provision of a terminal within the luminaire ?

No it isn't through wiring that would apply to a fitting being used as a through route not uncommon with fluorescent fittings where conductors would pass the choke to another fitting.

Reply to Loop In/Out connections in light fitting in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net