Discuss Main earth bonding protective conductors in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

cliffed

-
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
EICR recently done, Swa sub mains armouring used for cpc & MEBPC.
Installed 40 years ago, water/gas/structural bonding required, these are @ 10mm
Tncs earthing system @ origin which is remote from buildings 120mm tails.
The sub mains vary in sizes from 25mm to 50mm….what’s your thinking on coding,if any

What do you think on the situation.
With 120.0 supply conductors what size of main protective bonding is actually required 10.0 sounds undersized and this is relevant when assessing the adequacy of the armour.

As above, it sounds as though the main bonding size relative to PEN size is an issue. I think you need 35 sq mm main bonding. (Table 54.8). C2 for me, as another issue has to happen to become immediately dangerous.

This may help: https://www.askthetrades.co.uk/hosted_images/Armour CSA.pdf
regarding adequacy of the SWA armour size in copper equivalent for cpc and bonding.
You'll see that whether the 25mm is PVC or XLPE becomes pertinent.

Also, remember that calculating required CPC size using adiabatic might solve the problem, subject to whether things need bonding in the sub-main locations. I had one a bit like this once, I ending up TT'ing the outbuildings and introducing plastic water pipes to simplify bonding requirements.

As above, it sounds as though the main bonding size relative to PEN size is an issue. I think you need 35 sq mm main bonding. (Table 54.8). C2 for me, as another issue has to happen to become immediately dangerous.

regarding adequacy of the SWA armour size in copper equivalent for cpc and bonding.

Also, remember that calculating required CPC size using adiabatic might solve the problem, subject to whether things need bonding in the sub-main locations. I had one a bit like this once, I ending up TT'ing the outbuildings and introducing plastic water pipes to simplify bonding requirements.
Agree its never been an issue before, the MEBPC are definitely undersized, there’s no easy fix, for new MEBPC to be installed, it’s all 3p supplies a Rcd TT system maybe optional.

What do you think on the situation.
With 120.0 supply conductors what size of main protective bonding is actually required 10.0 sounds undersized and this is relevant when assessing the adequacy of the armour.
Definitely 35mm required it’s how you actually do it.
They are remote buildings quite a distance away from the DNO intake.

Once mentioned this to the Niceic he replied it’s been in place & there seems to be no problems relating to the system so why change it.
Which definitely goes against all we know

For me the key detail is whether there are metal pipes running from origin to other buildings.
If there is then TT isn't really an option as even with TT the extraneous conductive parts still need bonding according to the intake's sizing requirements. (at least that is my understanding)
If there's gas doing this, TT used to be a non starter, though I think plastic gas pipe does now exist.

I think you either need to end up insulating the services, having nothing to bond, and proving CPC is ok by calculation, or insulating the services and TT. Either way understanding the services is rather key to finding a solution.

If 35.0 bonds are required then your 10.0 bonds are inadequate. For the armour of a swa cable to support a 35.0 bond it needs to be at least 240.0.

Last edited:
.. I ended up TT'ing the outbuildings and introducing plastic water pipes to simplify bonding requirements.
I do appreciate hearing this type of commonsense approach to bonding issue,s. It has never felt right in my view to allow the plumber, gas installer or builder to dictate the bonding requirements of an electrical installation.

If 35.0 bonds are required then your 10.0 bonds are inadequate. For the armour of a swa cable to support a 35.0 bond is needs to be at least 240.0.
I'm going to admit to being a little bit confused now. Tin hat going on...
The only way I can arrive at that number is following the non-PME rules with the main bonding needing to be not less than half the cross sectional area of the main earthing conductor, so for a 35.0mm bond main earthing would need to be 70 sq mm copper, and 240 sq mm SWA being the smallest to have 70 (ish) copper equivalent.
I think for this one we need the next paragraph in that reg saying to dive straight to table 54.8 in PME conditions, which is where I got the 35.0 sq mm bond requirement from in the first place, based on the 120 sq mm PEN conductor. So I get 95.0 sq mm XLPE as a minimum unless it's 4 core then 70.0mm is ok.
Apologies if I'm wrong!
In either case the OP is unfortunately stuffed!

I'm not quite sure I'm following all of this myself.

If the tails are 120mm and it is TN-C-S then Table 54.8 gives 35mm for the main bonds - that seems fine. Are the service pipes bonded from the incomer, or from the various DB at the ends of the sub-mains?

However, assuming the SWA is 4-core than it would be met a 95mm from the linked table on the basis of adiabatic equivalence. However, for PME fault currents of a long duration I was imagining you would look at the approximation of steel being around 8 times copper for the same CCC and that is where @westward10 is getting the 240mm SWA from (e.g. Prysmian table has 4-core 240mm SWA having 289mm of steel so about 36mm copper equivalent).

Outside of the PME fault case, the issue for the SWA armour would be more end of circuit Zs and the adiabatic for the OCPD at the source (assuming it is not directly off 120mm tails - please tell me they have not been that stupid?)

So definitely main bonds need upgraded to 35mm.

Not so obvious is if the SWA is OK and that would depend on meeting sub-main Zs for disconnection times and the adiabatic (we would like to think this was done originally, even if the TN-C-S requirements are more recent) AND if they are also bonded to extraneous parts.

If 'also' then would the SWA armour only need to meet the 16mm of Table 54.8? If so it is still looking at 120mm so not met on existing cables and then it would be down to the real nature of bonding at sub-boards and then to decide if added CPC can be run in. TT'ing them is always a possible idea, but not likely to be a better idea!

@pc1966 thanks for your post.
My understanding is that the OP has 120mm tails at the incomer, then SWA of various sizes from 25 to 50 feeding sub mains in other buildings.
I think we all agree the main bonding needs to be upped to 35 sq mm in the building the incomer is in.

If 'also' then would the SWA armour only need to meet the 16mm of Table 54.8?
That is basically my question too, expressed another way. I have never been content that I had full understanding on this point.

If there is a situation where there are no parallel paths between the incomer building and the remote buildings via services (no linked extraneous conductive parts such as a common metal water pipe) does the csa of the bonding at the remote building need to meet the onerous bonding requirements of the origin?
One could argue that table 54.8's value can't vary within an installation as it references the supplies PEN conductor.
But equally if the only things being bonded are localised services, then having a bonding conductor bigger than the line conductor seems over-zealous, and this might be one for a departure and a risk assessment.

Conversely if there were proven parallel paths then having the same size bonding at the remote building feels necessary as the source of the fault current could be subject to a considerably higher OCPD or even the suppliers fuse in the main building. This appears to be the one-size-fits-all position that the regs take.

However, assuming the SWA is 4-core than it would be met a 95mm from the linked table on the basis of adiabatic equivalence.
I follow that logic and agree - I arrived at 95 sq mm too from a purely CPC perspective.
However, for PME fault currents of a long duration I was imagining you would look at the approximation of steel being around 8 times copper for the same CCC and that is where @westward10 is getting the 240mm SWA from (e.g. Prysmian table has 4-core 240mm SWA having 289mm of steel so about 36mm copper equivalent).
This is where I get a little lost.
Is it right to use k1/k2 with k1 as 46 and k2 as 143 from tables 43.1 and 54.4 respectively; this gives the answer as 92.9 sq mm.
The linked table shows 4 core 240 SWA having 289mm of steel (agreed) and 92.9 sq mm copper equivalent as it uses the same calculation.
Or are there better reasons to adopt the multiple by 8 method, something I've read many times on forums but never to my knowledge seen in the regs.

@pc1966 thanks for your post.
My understanding is that the OP has 120mm tails at the incomer, then SWA of various sizes from 25 to 50 feeding sub mains in other buildings.
Just noticed the OP's comments later on about other buildings. That gets trickier as not so easy to guarentee services are the same (i.e. one water pipe for all site, etc) and structures are obviously not the same!
I think we all agree the main bonding needs to be upped to 35 sq mm in the building the incomer is in.
Yes, agreed.
That is basically my question too, expressed another way. I have never been content that I had full understanding on this point.

If there is a situation where there are no parallel paths between the incomer building and the remote buildings via services (no linked extraneous conductive parts such as a common metal water pipe) does the csa of the bonding at the remote building need to meet the onerous bonding requirements of the origin?
One could argue that table 54.8's value can't vary within an installation as it references the supplies PEN conductor.
But equally if the only things being bonded are localised services, then having a bonding conductor bigger than the line conductor seems over-zealous, and this might be one for a departure and a risk assessment.
The thing about Table 54.8 is the assumption that under open-PEN faults the max bond currents depend on the supply cable size.

Now clearly there is some dependence but not as obvious as the usual fault-clearing adiabatic that is down to OCPD and clearance time. In the open-PEN case you could have 1A fuses in the DNO cut-out and it might make little or no difference!

How big the earth fault current would depend on the point the PEN opened (specifically the unbalance between phase loads down-stream of the fault), the DNO cable impedance (so cable size is a factor here) and the impedance from extraneous parts back to the origin (transformer neutral).

I guess that 58.8's argument is along the lines of "bond big enough only to roast if the DNO cable is roasted" with maybe the guide that under most cases (effective site Ra of the order of a few ohms or higher) you won't see the max possible unbalance current as when the neutral goes floppy the load currents will adjust to reduce it (and light-loaded phase blow electronics...) and the Ra will dominate the answer.

I suppose you might argue that the site load itself is the closest an open-PEN fault could be, and then it is down to a similar bond size to whatever reduced-size neutral that would be acceptable for a supply cable. If you have a big load that could be the case, but you might have more fault current that your own site if there is a lot of unbalance on the supply from multiple sites. Presumably the folks who drew up 54.8 have knowledge of the sorts of imbalances the DNOs might see along segments of their network to come to those sort of figures. Which is where the sub-main and remote building bonding issue get tricky...

I follow that logic and agree - I arrived at 95 sq mm too from a purely CPC perspective.

This is where I get a little lost.
Is it right to use k1/k2 with k1 as 46 and k2 as 143 from tables 43.1 and 54.4 respectively; this gives the answer as 92.9 sq mm.
The linked table shows 4 core 240 SWA having 289mm of steel (agreed) and 92.9 sq mm copper equivalent as it uses the same calculation.
Or are there better reasons to adopt the multiple by 8 method, something I've read many times on forums but never to my knowledge seen in the regs.
The thing with the adiabatic equivalence is it takes in to account both the higher resistivity of steel AND the greater thermal capacity of the bigger conductor that it points to.

So the approx factor of 8 for conductance leads to similar R and so similar I^2R losses under current flow, i.e. same sort of heat per unit length. But under the short-duration fault case when you make the adiabatic assumption that heat is not going in/out of the system, what gives to the change in temperature is both the energy input (i.e. I2t*R) and the thermal capacity (which greater mass of material from lower conductance for a given R increases). Hence the factor of about 3 instead of 8 (so your resistance might still be almost 3 times that of the copper equivalent but you now have almost 3 times the steel material to soak up the heat pulse).

But the open-PEN case is not short-lived. You could be running the PEN current via the bond for potentially hours or even days before it is fixed, and supply OCPD or switching of the site isolator could make no difference (unless you are breaking regs generally-speaking by opening the CPC) depending on the fault location, etc. In that case the thermal capacity of the CPC/bond is irrelevant, it is now the dissipation (I^2R) and resulting ability of the cable to get rid of heat (i.e. "method") that sets the conductor temperature and resulting risk of insulation damage or even a fire.

Last edited:
I'm going to throw me tin hat in the ring GN8 page69 shows
fig 5.14 for out buildings ,considering it a TNCS and going to the out buildings so that now makes that a TT ,for both building
say a pen fault arises then both buildings would now be live
has PC states ,so to the outer building needs to be TT and not reliant on tother end @cliffed you're option is either RCD IT or make it TT.
@ tiny tim howard I'm on the same page has you.

I'm going to throw me tin hat in the ring GN8 page69 shows
fig 5.14 for out buildings ,considering it a TNCS and going to the out buildings so that now makes that a TT ,for both building
has PC states ,so to the outer building needs to be TT and not reliant on tother end @cliffed you're option is either RCD IT or make it TT.
@ tiny tim howard I'm on the same page has you.its A good option
It’s a good option but I doubt the Client will have it done.
They are 400v TPN DB’s, Swa into the DB,Rcd could be before main switch,T/D 100ma
The buildings are Steel fabrication some have extraneous conductive parts entering Water/Gas others just the structure.
MEBPC would be 35mm if Tncs

The issue I wonder about is whether you can actually TT the outer building in this situation? If the outer building shares extraneous
metalwork with the main house (water pipe), then that metalwork will still become live even if the shed is TT. So to effectively TT the outer building would it not require capping the extraneous part entering the shed with plastic??

Reply to Main earth bonding protective conductors in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net