Discuss mains change in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

A small point to add, the OP hasn't stated what inst method he has on this install. Seems we're getting carried away without all the facts being present.

Please enlighten us Lee.:)

As Jason says, that's for socket outlets.

Take the ECA to task again.

How many times should I take the ECA to task? 2 different technical experts at the ECA on different occasions have stated that no RCD protection is required as an "ordinary person" should not be putting up pictures etc etc. Not trying to defend that I have put sockets in without RCD as all my commercial installations are either floor box or 3-compartment trunking but if a respected organisation like the ECA is stating that, where do you go to get 100% correct information and you also question all other answers as is the case now.

How many times should I take the ECA to task? 2 different technical experts at the ECA on different occasions have stated that no RCD protection is required as an "ordinary person" should not be putting up pictures etc etc. Not trying to defend that I have put sockets in without RCD as all my commercial installations are either floor box or 3-compartment trunking but if a respected organisation like the ECA is stating that, where do you go to get 100% correct information and you also question all other answers as is the case now.

I've also taken advice from the IEE on this and they effectively confirm what sparks is saying.

Fair enough, but im only pointing out this "ordinary persons" is applicable to the use of socket outlets and not the installation method.

If the circuit was surface run and they were not for use by ordinary, non-instructed persons, then RCD not required.

If the cables were buried with no mechanical protection then RCD required as per the norm in most cases.

Fair enough, but im only pointing out this "ordinary persons" is applicable to the use of socket outlets and not the installation method.

If the circuit was surface run and they were not for use by ordinary, non-instructed persons, then RCD not required.

If the cables were buried with no mechanical protection then RCD required as per the norm in most cases.

Can only give you the info that has come from the ECA and now looks like the IEE

my son work for the biggest alarm company he has just had whats classed as spur training by eca .they were told fused spur off a ring no rcd needed . ill be ringinging nic to there thoughts

Reply to mains change in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net