Discuss Maintenance spark without NVQ - what can/cant you do? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi all, first time poster!

Was doing a bit of a job search today (have recently come out of the motor trade :eek:) and came across an advert for a general maintenance person for a care home, doing odd jobs inside out (including PAT testing patients electricals they bring onsite)

I have a Level 2 Diploma (C&G 2365) in electrical installation (17th edition) but that's as far as I've taken it - no part P scheme, no NVQ - and this job advert got me to wondering if I'd be legally allowed to do any electrical works on such premises.

I know in your own residential property you can change existing light fittings, sockets and switches so long as you're not adapting current (or creating new) circuits and I'm curious if the same guidelines apply to a place of work like a care home. I would see it as a bonus being able to explain this in a job application if so.

Appreciative of any advice!

- On an unrelated side note, i'd be interested in acting as a bit of cheap labour and learning some new skills such as plastering, tiling etc if anyone operating in the West Yorkshire area might be looking for such an arrangement. Im reliable, hard working, and take a lot of pride making my work neat and professional. Also experienced in painting and cutting/fitting skirting boards. pop us a message if you want to discuss the possibility.

regarding the care home job. it looks like they're looking for a general maintenance person, for which you don't need qualifications. As regards electrical work, the key word is "competent". As long as you only undertake work that you are competent to complete, then go for it. notifiable works under part pee are a different ball game. these may have to be contracted out.

Hi all, first time poster!

Was doing a bit of a job search today (have recently come out of the motor trade :eek:) and came across an advert for a general maintenance person for a care home, doing odd jobs inside out (including PAT testing patients electricals they bring onsite)

I have a Level 2 Diploma (C&G 2365) in electrical installation (17th edition) but that's as far as I've taken it - no part P scheme, no NVQ - and this job advert got me to wondering if I'd be legally allowed to do any electrical works on such premises.

I know in your own residential property you can change existing light fittings, sockets and switches so long as you're not adapting current (or creating new) circuits and I'm curious if the same guidelines apply to a place of work like a care home. I would see it as a bonus being able to explain this in a job application if so.

Appreciative of any advice!

- On an unrelated side note, i'd be interested in acting as a bit of cheap labour and learning some new skills such as plastering, tiling etc if anyone operating in the West Yorkshire area might be looking for such an arrangement. Im reliable, hard working, and take a lot of pride making my work neat and professional. Also experienced in painting and cutting/fitting skirting boards. pop us a message if you want to discuss the possibility.
Hi Flinty
What experience / qualifications did the car home ask for when you applied? Sorry Flinty Welcome

Is this job directly employed by the Care Home or Employed by others under contract to the Home.?

If by others then they can monitor /supervise / define the limits of the work, assuming they're qualified.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Admittedly there wasn't much given away in the advert other than the duties (no ask for qualifications of a particular type or even experience) simply to apply if you felt you fit the bill. Grounds-keeping, decorating touch ups as needed, PAT testing devices coming in, water temperature monitoring... sounds pretty basic stuff. I believe it would be the home employing direct.

Well I've applied anyway, here's to hoping! In the meantime there's much the same work to be getting on with at home :rolleyes:

Reply to Maintenance spark without NVQ - what can/cant you do? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock