Discuss Maximum number of lighting points in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

farmer

-
Reaction score
Hello,
Could any Irish members on here either tell me the maximum number of lighting points permissable on a circuit?
I seem to remember a Fàs teacher mine saying that it was 10. The reason being that it's to do with a property being put into darkness in the event of a fault. I also think that he showed us the page in the ETCI book.
I've looked in the ETCI book and I've failed to find anything regarding the above.
If amyone could help with the above that would be great!

Thanks
Farmer

The maximum recommended number of points for a radial circuit is given as ten. This is in an Informative Appendix. Therefore, contrary to popular belief, this is suggested good practice and not actually a Rule.

Thanks for that pal. You hardly know which appendix?

Yes I've seen it numerous times.
Don't have access to my Rule book just now but will get back to you tomorrow when I have it.

OK, @farmer as promised you will find it in Annex 55A (Final Circuit Arrangements.)

As mentioned this is an Informative Annex and therefore does not form part of the Rules but could be seen as good practice which generally it might be better to observe.

If you go to 4.2 in Annex 55A you will find "Radial final circuits for socket-outlets and appliances in domestic and similar installations".

This gives a "recommended maximum number of points: 10 (see the definition of "point"). One point may serve a single or double socket-outlet."

In 4.1 are "Radial final circuits for lighting equipment in domestic and similar installations".

This states that "at least two radial lighting circuits should be provided for a normal dwelling or similarly sized premises."

Hope this helps clarify this for you.

Reply to Maximum number of lighting points in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock