Discuss Megger 1741+ vs Metrel MI3152 in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I have got it down to the choice of 2 MFTs. I am looking at either the Megger 1741+ or the Metrel MI 3152 EurotestXC.

The megger looks like a good workhorse favoured by many electricians, but the Metrel looks like a leap forward in technology.

In terms of future-proofing for EV chargers etc, does anybody know which one of these MFTs is best?

Anybody with hands-on experience able to review either charger?

Thanks

Just bought the megger 1741+ myself and it is a spot on tester and I am very pleased with it but I don't do car charging points so cannot comment on weather it is any good for them.
I did look at the metrel as well and it does look like an excellent tester and I've heard good things about it too, and software can be played with for updates and the likes, but I have always had megger's so I stuck with them, they seem more software based as well so dare say they can be tweaked the same as the metrel.
Sy

I have got it down to the choice of 2 MFTs. I am looking at either the Megger 1741+ or the Metrel MI 3152 EurotestXC.

The megger looks like a good workhorse favoured by many electricians, but the Metrel looks like a leap forward in technology.

In terms of future-proofing for EV chargers etc, does anybody know which one of these MFTs is best?

Thanks
Given that Metrel are a short ride up the A24 from you why not give them a call and see if you can have a hands on demo of the MI 3152

I'm looking at a new MFT at the moment and the MI 3152 is heading my list at as my current Metrel Eurotest MFT has given good service for the last 17 years but technology and the regs are leaving it a bit behind

We have Megger 1741 (1735 and 1730) and the Metrel 3155. The Metrel is far superior in my opinion.

Had a chat with one of the guys at Metrel a few weeks ago when I was doing a bit of research and needed a few queries answered and he reckoned that Metrel were way ahead of their competitors by a good number of years on MFT development and technology, of course he is going to big up Metrel but looking around the market and reading richy's comment I'm inclined to agree with him

Thanks

I'm in the same boat and have whittled it down to those 2 as well? Have been getting lots of advice from forums etc but I still cannot decide! I trained on a Megger so I'm tempted to get that one but then I have heard really good things about Metrel especially the PASS/FAIL aspect which I like the look of.

Any more words of wisdom out there? :)

I had exactly the same choice a few months back, there's even a thread about it too lol. My boss bought the Megger 1741 and I went for the metrel in the end. I have found the metrel a little Frustrating to get used to and it is a lot slower than the megger when it comes to Loop tests and the Auto RCD test sequence is a lot! slower, so unless your concerned with knocking out condition reports in minutes its fine. The other thing that's quite annoying on the metrel is the safety feature with the earth potential metallic test button if your standing up steps and isolate from the earth it'll prevent you from performing the test so you have to press the button with your nail to fool it into starting the test lol. It also doesn't have the auto start function that the megger has nor does it have the option to turn it on so you have to do the dance with balancing the probes on the terminals and pressing the test button with your nose lol. The continuity buzzer is also a bit gutless and doesn't travel very far... I'm happy with my choice as the meter itself ticks so many more boxes and the future proofing. hope this helps. The pass and fail function on the Metrel I pretty much never use as it takes more time setting it up on a circuit by circuit basis and normally have the regs to hand for the lesser used breaker or fuse types or we impute straight into amtech which flags it up anyway.

Megger are, and probably will be for a long time yet, the top brand name. So they charge top price and I think they have got a little complacent knowing they are the brand name.

I've never used a metrel yet, but have heard good things about them. I get the impression that being perceived as a 'lesser' alternative has driven them to try to innovate more and improve their products/look for new features to add such as electric car charger testing.

Personally I have a megger MFT and a megger high resoloution loop tester, I like them, the autostart loop tests are useful and they appear to have very good immunity to noise when loop testing (unlike fluke and Kewtech in my experience)
The two wire anti trip loop test is useful on the megger, but suffers quite badly with 'rcd uplift' sometimes so is more of a last resort than a go-to test.
Megger claim that the 1741+ doesn't suffer from 'rcd uplift' to its anti trip loop test.

I had exactly the same choice a few months back, there's even a thread about it too lol. My boss bought the Megger 1741 and I went for the metrel in the end. I have found the metrel a little Frustrating to get used to and it is a lot slower than the megger when it comes to Loop tests and the Auto RCD test sequence is a lot! slower, so unless your concerned with knocking out condition reports in minutes its fine. The other thing that's quite annoying on the metrel is the safety feature with the earth potential metallic test button if your standing up steps and isolate from the earth it'll prevent you from performing the test so you have to press the button with your nail to fool it into starting the test lol. It also doesn't have the auto start function that the megger has nor does it have the option to turn it on so you have to do the dance with balancing the probes on the terminals and pressing the test button with your nose lol. The continuity buzzer is also a bit gutless and doesn't travel very far... I'm happy with my choice as the meter itself ticks so many more boxes and the future proofing. hope this helps. The pass and fail function on the Metrel I pretty much never use as it takes more time setting it up on a circuit by circuit basis and normally have the regs to hand for the lesser used breaker or fuse types or we impute straight into amtech which flags it up anyway.
Hi thank you so much this is the information I have been waiting for! People have been helpful saying "go for Megger", or "go for Metrel" but no justification has been given. I think from your comments above and seeing as I'm just starting out I think the Megger it is. Thank you again :)
[automerge]1596625500[/automerge]
Megger are, and probably will be for a long time yet, the top brand name. So they charge top price and I think they have got a little complacent knowing they are the brand name.

I've never used a metrel yet, but have heard good things about them. I get the impression that being perceived as a 'lesser' alternative has driven them to try to innovate more and improve their products/look for new features to add such as electric car charger testing.

Personally I have a megger MFT and a megger high resoloution loop tester, I like them, the autostart loop tests are useful and they appear to have very good immunity to noise when loop testing (unlike fluke and Kewtech in my experience)
The two wire anti trip loop test is useful on the megger, but suffers quite badly with 'rcd uplift' sometimes so is more of a last resort than a go-to test.
Megger claim that the 1741+ doesn't suffer from 'rcd uplift' to its anti trip loop test.
Hi, another thank you for you helpful comments. I was leaning towards the Megger anyway and I think I just got the shove that I needed! Thanks again :)

It's a pity that Covid 19 has stopped all the shows it was always a good opportunity to compare test equipment as quite a few of the manufacturers were always there demonstrating their test equipment

It's a pity that Covid 19 has stopped all the shows it was always a good opportunity to compare test equipment as quite a few of the manufacturers were always there demonstrating their test equipment
That's what I was thinking. I called a shop in Watford the other day to ask if I could pop in and have a look at various testers to be told, sorry you can order online and collect ONLY. I understand why, but it's bad timing :( The next Elexshow that I can find is in November in Coventry (depending on how COVID-19 is behaving itself) but I need a tester as soon as really to get started.
[automerge]1596626619[/automerge]

PS @ Pennywise: If you had the choice again would you go for Metrel again?

I’ve the Metrel 3155 euro test XD. They’re around £2300+VAT. Much more than a Megger 1741 Which I also own. Between the 2 the Metrel is faster loop testing with RCDs in circuit. The Metrel can be used simply like the Megger or you can choose to use much more of its advanced functions. @Franad if you’ve any questions I happy to answer if I can.

I’ve the Metrel 3155 euro test XD. They’re around £2300+VAT. Much more than a Megger 1741 Which I also own. Between the 2 the Metrel is faster loop testing with RCDs in circuit. The Metrel can be used simply like the Megger or you can choose to use much more of its advanced functions. @Franad if you’ve any questions I happy to answer if I can.

the 3155 is a totally different beast from the 1741 and mi3152. I looked at it and came to the conclusion unless I was testing industrial production equipment or IT data centres it was a step too far unless the company was paying for it. In reply to the above, I’d still get the metrel just to be different from the boss lol and also I’ve got the luxury of having access to both at anytime ?

+1 for the Metrel, great bit of kit pretty much like a PC really. Not had it long and I am still getting used to it. Not used a Megger so couldn't comment if it is better or not.

That's great Richy333 thank you for your response, but the MI3155 is very much out of my budget :( The Megger falls just about in my budget although I've overstretching a little, but would rather pay a little more if it means getting a solid tester. ... Also just realised you're the same Richy that is in the other Megger 1741 conversation LOL ... It's been a long week!
[automerge]1596725533[/automerge]
+1 for the Metrel, great bit of kit pretty much like a PC really. Not had it long and I am still getting used to it. Not used a Megger so couldn't comment if it is better or not.
Do you find the test times slow? I know it has many more functions than the Megger, I'm yet again undecided :( LOL

Last edited:
Do you find the test times slow? I know it has many more functions than the Megger, I'm yet again undecided :( LOL
[/QUOTE]

No not really, I find the zs testing is quicker than my old Kewtech

With mine the Zs with RCD is faster than the Megger with the ‘reliability’ countdown function doing its stuff.

I've managed to get a demo of the Metrel today. I want to see that in action before I make an informed decision. Will update ?
[automerge]1597129489[/automerge]
With mine the Zs with RCD is faster than the Megger with the ‘reliability’ countdown function doing its stuff.
Despite your initial comments lol I'm going to see a demo of the Metrel today ???

Thanks
Which one did you go for in the end? Went to Metrel UK HQ on Tuesday and saw the demo and have to admit the MI3152 is all singing and dancing. Thought the loop tests were a little slow though and the RCD testing ... but someone mentioned that in this thread somewhere ? Although am swaying more to the Metrel now ?

Reply to Megger 1741+ vs Metrel MI3152 in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net