Discuss Metal Halide lamps in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

sparky692

Hi to All.
Need some help on this one.
Got a client where i have fitted PIR sensor5s to most of the areas in an office complex without any problem. problem started when they then wanted this type of control to 4 no 400watt Metal Halide fittings . They were controlled by 2 PECs ( 2 fittings on each sensor) and worked fine. problem is the fittings were on all night . They only wanted them on while people are walking around the yard , between say 12ish to 2am Max.
I purchased a couple of 18metre coverage 2300watt sensors and fitted them. Of course these have only a max on time of 12 minutes . thats ok if people are walking about , but of course , if they go off they need to cool down. this is the problem. the yard is in darkness.
does anyone know of a sensor capable of switching these fittings that has a long on time. Yes i know its impracticable to have MH on a sensor but an stuck with it 2 x 400w MH on each or one for all :))

HELP

Jools

I would fit a timeclock so the lights are on between 12 and 2.
Dischage lighting IMO is not suitable for frequent switching, however if I had to frequently switch the load I would fit SOX as they instantly restart once warm.
Also I have heard you can get high powered SON ignitors that will re-strike hot lamps, but I have never worked on a fitting with those.

You could replace the existing HID floodlights for instant hot re-ignition versions (EHT 16-60kV) of the Thorn Areaflood if a timer is not practical, but they are expensive.

Have the sensor pulse starting a timer relay that can be set any time you wish and it will restart timeout until last sensor signal received.

Thanks for the replies. client is going to go with a timer. Anyone got any suggestions as they want an override switch at two points. like 2 way switching. getting a tad complicated now. unless the suggestion that a timer relay or off delay timer is more feasible. have to admit that im more of a mains distribution sparks than all this electronic stuff so any help would be greatly appreciated. needs to handle 4x400watt Metal halide. and needs to on for an hour plus.
any help guys as this job i need to finish quickly Makes diagrams etc

Cheers
Jools

Timer relays have many multiple operating states and allow for overides that you require in various ways, my previous suggestion could be used and permanent supply to pulse or alternative terminal can hold relay in on position but the exact method would vary dependant on Timer/relay chosen.

So Darkwood . apologies for sounding thick but as i previously said , not normally my area. Lets see if i got this right. I would use a PIR that would trigger an off delay relay, and set the relay to go open at a specified time what ever suits the client. with the starting loads of these lights would you suggest i use 2 PIRs. 1 for two fittings?(2x 400w) and have 2 relays ?
thanks again . Sorry but any particular make/supplier etc would help no end.

thanks again
Jools

My knowledge of your setup is limited so really its down to you to pick the suitable device, what i would suggest is going to your local RS COMPONENTS branch and picking up a box of their free catalogues and in book 2 in the timer section you can read the function charts that will give you an idea what function code you need then pick a timer that has this function.
The timer relays are usually 4a resistive loads and not really rated for inductive to i suggest you just have it pulling in a multi-pole contactor and run whatever lighting loads through that.
If you have more than one PIR setup doing different areas then really you should be looking at a PLC and writing a progamme to suit your needs, this will save the need for multiple timer units etc but is a little bit more advanced as you would have to write the logic programme yourself.

Over-ride facilities can be easily done by just having a switched supply to the main contactor coil using the same control voltage as is used by the timing device

use a graslin immersion timer to click a contactor to click on the lights and also wire from a switch.. forget pirs with these lights... hope helps but aint sure myself

Reply to Metal Halide lamps in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock