Discuss Mobile Barista at wits end! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Seb217

-
Reaction score
All I want to do is sell coffee!!! ... yet I have found myself stressing about power supply!

I have a mobile coffee van. I'm done with using generators and so are many event/festival organisers who are now banning petrol/diesel from their sites. In an ideal world I would like a battery fed inverter to power all the equipment that I can't run on LPG.

I would like to achieve 1.5kW of power - I actually currently need 1.2kW of power (not all continuous) but want the extra to future proof against any further equipment that I may want to put on the van in the future.

I need to be able to have power for approx. 10hrs per day. I have sufficient space (but not endless amounts of) to house the batteries and inverter.

As all the equipment that requires power is plugged in to sockets on the walls of the van, can I plug the ‘hook up’ plug into the inverter?

I understand everything there is to know about coffee (and it's more of a science than many people may think) but I know nothing about power. Is there anyone that can please please help.

All I want to do is sell coffee!!! ... yet I have found myself stressing about power supply!

I have a mobile coffee van. I'm done with using generators and so are many event/festival organisers who are now banning petrol/diesel from their sites. In an ideal world I would like a battery fed inverter to power all the equipment that I can't run on LPG.

I would like to achieve 1.5kW of power - I actually currently need 1.2kW of power (not all continuous) but want the extra to future proof against any further equipment that I may want to put on the van in the future.

I need to be able to have power for approx. 10hrs per day. I have sufficient space (but not endless amounts of) to house the batteries and inverter.

As all the equipment that requires power is plugged in to sockets on the walls of the van, can I plug the ‘hook up’ plug into the inverter?

I understand everything there is to know about coffee (and it's more of a science than many people may think) but I know nothing about power. Is there anyone that can please please help.

I will do some calculations for you.
hang fire.

so 1.5kw for 10 hours is 15Kwh
at 12v that works out to be 1250Ah capacity required
add in 20% for losses and battery degradation over time gives around 1500Ah
or 15 leisure batteries at 100Ah each.

at 20Kg each, that is a total weight of 300Kg

I it will be drawing around 130A from the batteries at 1.5Kw load so you will need some big cables (starter motor size) from battery bank to the inverter.

That's all reading as though it is not going to be feasible - where is the sad face emoji on this website.

I asked a friend of mine and they said that 4 x 224Ah 6V batteries (weighing 30kg each), would give me 2.7kW per hour for 10hrs. Could they have been so wrong?!!

so around £1200 for the batteries, £250 for the inverter, £150 for all the other bits like cable and battery connectors etc.
its not cheep at around £1600 parts.

so around £1200 for the batteries, £250 for the inverter, £150 for all the other bits like cable and battery connectors etc.
its not cheep at around £1600 parts.

More expensive than a Honda EU22i!!

These are the batteries that the friend of mine reckons I only need 4 of - Powerline T105 AGM

at 12v 1.5kw draws 125A
so for 1 hour you will need 125Ah of battery
for 10 hours you will need 1250Ah of battery.

at 6v the current draw will be 250A, you can do the maths yourself on that one!
but you have also got to remember that these things are not 100% efficient so you will need a bit more to cover it.
however, you are probably not using anything like 1.5Kw continually, so that would reduce the storage requirement

anyone fancy checking my maths?
I don't think I have got it wrong but I have had a beer so its always possible!!

at 12v 1.5kw draws 125A
so for 1 hour you will need 125Ah of battery
for 10 hours you will need 1250Ah of battery.

at 6v the current draw will be 250A, you can do the maths yourself on that one!
but you have also got to remember that these things are not 100% efficient so you will need a bit more to cover it.
however, you are probably not using anything like 1.5Kw continually, so that would reduce the storage requirement

My exact requirements are:

APPLIANCE
kW
USAGE
Coffee machine pump
0.350​
Constant​
Coffee grinder
0.350​
15min/hour​
Flo-Jet (water pump)
0.046​
10min/hour​
Fridge
0.300​
Constant but fluctuating​
Till
0.002​
Constant'ish​
Main strip light
0.072​
Constant​
LED blue lights
0.075​
Constant​
TOTAL

anyone fancy checking my maths?
I don't think I have got it wrong but I have had a beer so its always possible!!

I'm mathematically brain dead and don't understand even the basics of electricity - so as far as I'm concerned you could be right and my friend could be wrong. All I know is that I am having some construction work done on my van and need to whether or not to allow space for batteries or not.

[QUOTE="James the Spark1976, post: 1547792, member: 118821"

at 20Kg each, that is a total weight of 300Kg

Just turn up with that lot in a separate smokey Diesel van, the organisers will soon change thier mind.

These organisers are going to have to supply all power to stallholders in the future if they ban small portables.
What are the organisers using for thier own power?
[/QUOTE]

That is a very good question!! They are making all mobile caterer's lives hell! As if all the other regulations that we have to abide by aren't enough!

Stupid addition; whack a solar panel on the roof of the van to trickle feed the batteries, or if you can get enough power from thrm, hookit up to your most power hungry machine as dedicated. might be helpful?

ok so although your peak demand is 1.2kw your average consumption is more in the region of 700w (0.7kw) that would halve the required battery's. so 7 rather than 15 should be sufficient. but I would be putting in 10 if it were my van.

Stupid addition; whack a solar panel on the roof of the van to trickle feed the batteries, or if you can get enough power from thrm, hookit up to your most power hungry machine as dedicated. might be helpful?

Not a stupid addition at all - I was going to think about a solar panel once the basic battery set up had been sorted :)

Reply to Mobile Barista at wits end! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock