Discuss Mobile Barista at wits end! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

watts = volts x amps
therefore amps = watts / volts
1200 watts / 12 volts = 100A
1 single 100Ah 12v battery in peak performance will provide you with 1200 watts for 1 hour.
this is the calculation, it is not negotiable!
the only thing to add is that that is the pure mathematical calculation and is not including any losses that you will get in the distribution and conversion of electrical energy.
I would estimate this to be 15% to 20%

Event organisers tend to knee jerk at the slightest thing, a bit of spilt fuel is the end of the world in their eyes and a lot of money and paperwork. All they need to do is ensure that any spills are captured before they have chance to make contact with the ground such as using drip trays and absorbent matts etc. Good housekeeping and working practices make a lot of problems disappear.

I have worked in Germany where their environmental regulations have always been much stricter and they still allow generators. Spilt fuel meant the soil being bagged up and sent for cleaning to then be returned and replaced to the same spot at the offenders cost and also a hefty fine.

Another thing that worries organisers is the risk of fire when filling up as some traders don't like to switch off when doing so.

Battery technology is moving along rapidly however at the moment it's still impractical for a lot of traders to rely solely on this technology as were not quite there yet, as pointed out the carbon footprint only shifts somewhere else as you need to move a much heavier vehicle around for a greener solution.

Remember as well that you will need a charging system capable of charging all of the batteries, and you will probably need to have the van plugged in all night to get a full charge.

You could buy a chesp home plug in energy monitor and use that next time you are running from generators/event power. You might find you are using lesd than you think.

I agree with James the Spark that from your table of requirements, the average running load is around 700W. This assumes the fridge compressor runs about 50% of the time. It might be more on a hot day if you keep opening it.

What has been overlooked in all the above calculations is that the batteries have a rated capacity that represents their absolute maximum capability when new. Using that capacity cyclically, i.e. fully discharging and then fully recharging, is like working a horse until it collapses, reviving it and doing the same day after day and expecting it never to lose stamina. Ordinary leisure 'deep cycle' batteries will not last like this, their capacity will soon drop off. After a few hundred cycles use it might be down 25% or more, i.e. you needed to start off with 25% more battery to account for their decline, or your working day will end 25% early. The more deeply you discharge, the more rapidly the battery wears out. I.e. to give good working life, you need extra capacity discharged less deeply, but this means extra weight and volume to carry about.

Next you have to consider the discharge rate. The rated capacity of most lead acid batteries is given at the 20 hour discharge rate. If you discharge them faster, e.g. use all of their capacity in 10 hours, their usable capacity will be lower. Equivalent to the horse being able to make 10 round trips in a day if it trots, but only 8 if you make it gallop. Then, as Shaun points out, you have the minor detail of recharging. To fully recharge a lead acid in less than 12 hours is stressful for it, as the last part of the charge is absorbed only slowly. But if it does not get fully charged, it starts to lose capacity through sulphation. You can solve these problems using full spec traction batteries as used on electric vehicles. These are rated for discharge over 5 hours and for rapid recharging, so although they are more expensive, larger and heavier per Ah than leisure batteries, you need add less margin of capacity and will last longer.

What size battery do you need?

700 watts for 10 hours with an inverter efficiency of 85%
700 x 10 / 0.85 = 8.2kWh energy taken from the battery

I'd use 24V, not 12V, to reduce the currents involved and hence cable size and losses. 24V inverters may be a teeny bit more efficient for the same reason.

Taking the average usable voltage at the inverter terminals as 23.5V:
8200/23.5 = 349Ah at 24V actual capacity utilised.

With a full traction battery rated at the 5 hour rate, you will get 110% of rated capacity over 10 hours. If you want a 25% margin, then you need:
349 / 1.1 x 1.25 = 396Ah rated capacity.

Yuasa reckon on 1200 cycles / 4 years use at 70% depth of discharge to about 70% of rated capacity. If you want this kind of lifespan, you will need 396/0.7 = 565Ah rated capacity or more. At that capacity you would best have a battery made up from 2V cells. If you wanted to use series-parallel 6V blocks, we could use their GC200 as an example, wired as 3P2S (three parallel strings of two in series). These would need a battery box about 550mm square and 300mm high, total weight about 200kg. Hydrogen will need to be vented and not allowed into the vehicle.

I'll let you do the sums for the equivalent in leisure batteries, personally I'd stick with traction. But first, see what you can do to get that consumption figure down, and more accurately known, e.g. a more efficient fridge will save ££ in batteries. Or, switch to Li-ion, but make sure you're sitting down when you check the pricing!

NB. this is why small generators are popular!

Last edited:
It's a farce really all the weight you take there uses energy that has to be generated by some means . I bet there is a massive car park too.
There's a big 'Organic (green)' type place near me. It always amuses me looking at the long queue of cars waiting to get into the car park, most of them with their engines idling away, belching crap into the air ...

My exact requirements are:

APPLIANCE
kW
USAGE
Coffee machine pump
0.350​
Constant​
Coffee grinder
0.350​
15min/hour​
Flo-Jet (water pump)
0.046​
10min/hour​
Fridge
0.300​
Constant but fluctuating​
Till
0.002​
Constant'ish​
Main strip light
0.072​
Constant​
LED blue lights
0.075​
Constant​
TOTAL
Couldn't you just sell iced coffee?
Brew up a big vat of juice at home, a great big ice box and a load of candles for lighting ... well cool, dude! :) :cool:

Yes, a FLT battery is a full-spec traction battery as per my recommendation above. If one happened to find a 24V example in good condition, or half a large 48V one, it would probably fit the bill.

watts = volts x amps
therefore amps = watts / volts
1200 watts / 12 volts = 100A
1 single 100Ah 12v battery in peak performance will provide you with 1200 watts for 1 hour.
this is the calculation, it is not negotiable!
the only thing to add is that that is the pure mathematical calculation and is not including any losses that you will get in the distribution and conversion of electrical energy.
I would estimate this to be 15% to 20%

Thank you soooo much. I actually understood the maths (I really am mathematically brain dead as I mentioned before)! This has helped me understand the whole situation/problem.

I agree with James the Spark that from your table of requirements, the average running load is around 700W. This assumes the fridge compressor runs about 50% of the time. It might be more on a hot day if you keep opening it.

What has been overlooked in all the above calculations is that the batteries have a rated capacity that represents their absolute maximum capability when new. Using that capacity cyclically, i.e. fully discharging and then fully recharging, is like working a horse until it collapses, reviving it and doing the same day after day and expecting it never to lose stamina. Ordinary leisure 'deep cycle' batteries will not last like this, their capacity will soon drop off. After a few hundred cycles use it might be down 25% or more, i.e. you needed to start off with 25% more battery to account for their decline, or your working day will end 25% early. The more deeply you discharge, the more rapidly the battery wears out. I.e. to give good working life, you need extra capacity discharged less deeply, but this means extra weight and volume to carry about.

Next you have to consider the discharge rate. The rated capacity of most lead acid batteries is given at the 20 hour discharge rate. If you discharge them faster, e.g. use all of their capacity in 10 hours, their usable capacity will be lower. Equivalent to the horse being able to make 10 round trips in a day if it trots, but only 8 if you make it gallop. Then, as Shaun points out, you have the minor detail of recharging. To fully recharge a lead acid in less than 12 hours is stressful for it, as the last part of the charge is absorbed only slowly. But if it does not get fully charged, it starts to lose capacity through sulphation. You can solve these problems using full spec traction batteries as used on electric vehicles. These are rated for discharge over 5 hours and for rapid recharging, so although they are more expensive, larger and heavier per Ah than leisure batteries, you need add less margin of capacity and will last longer.

What size battery do you need?

700 watts for 10 hours with an inverter efficiency of 85%
700 x 10 / 0.85 = 8.2kWh energy taken from the battery

I'd use 24V, not 12V, to reduce the currents involved and hence cable size and losses. 24V inverters may be a teeny bit more efficient for the same reason.

Taking the average usable voltage at the inverter terminals as 23.5V:
8200/23.5 = 349Ah at 24V actual capacity utilised.

With a full traction battery rated at the 5 hour rate, you will get 110% of rated capacity over 10 hours. If you want a 25% margin, then you need:
349 / 1.1 x 1.25 = 396Ah rated capacity.

Yuasa reckon on 1200 cycles / 4 years use at 70% depth of discharge to about 70% of rated capacity. If you want this kind of lifespan, you will need 396/0.7 = 565Ah rated capacity or more. At that capacity you would best have a battery made up from 2V cells. If you wanted to use series-parallel 6V blocks, we could use their GC200 as an example, wired as 3P2S (three parallel strings of two in series). These would need a battery box about 550mm square and 300mm high, total weight about 200kg. Hydrogen will need to be vented and not allowed into the vehicle.

I'll let you do the sums for the equivalent in leisure batteries, personally I'd stick with traction. But first, see what you can do to get that consumption figure down, and more accurately known, e.g. a more efficient fridge will save ££ in batteries. Or, switch to Li-ion, but make sure you're sitting down when you check the pricing!

NB. this is why small generators are popular!

WOW! Thank you so much for your extensive and very interesting and informative reply! It really is very very much appreciated!! Whilst I couldn't fathom most of the maths (without a lot more coffee), I'm coming to the conclusion that batteries aren't feasible.

Reply to Mobile Barista at wits end! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock