Discuss More than one circuit on breaker in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

If you are spuring a socket, no problem, Nothing can be plugged in greater than 13amps. Assuming a ring main, ring circuit from the board and you wire in 2.5 or above...
But you cannot (or should not) spur off for a 20amp switch or similar, the spur must be a socket or a switch fuse.

Outbuildings are notorious for a 'spur' but some use a 20amp dp switch rather than a switch fuse, thus giving a max of 32amps from origin and still use 2.5 feed.

I have in the past done this but use 6mm, ie use ring main supply breaker at origin, sometimes you need to box clever when on on a budget, I know not ideal but costs sometimes means the job is yours, or not if you insist on a new board. As far as I'm aware there is nothing to stop you doing this, except diiferent size cable should not be used on a breaker/fuse.
However, a small run of cable not more than 300mm to an isolator (attached adjacent the board, wired in 2.5 then outbound in 6mm is ok) as I say not ideal but it is acceptable

sorry, maybe its late but i dont get the short run of 2.5 with an isolator? do you mean an fcu or whats protecting the 2.5 cable from carrying 32amps+ for some time.:confused:

17th edition onsite guide 7.2.2

Spurs can be connected from a ring at exsiting socket terminals, junction box or source of circuit in dist board.

think its down to personal prefernce then.
if it was me running a 2.5 t/e from a cu to a socket below cu then it would be on a correctly rated mcb for the cable thats in the cu.
havent checked the book but does it mention cable size from cu.:confused:
from memory diagram shows interconnections in ring but not directly from cu.:confused:

WHAT IS A FORUM WITHOUT DEBATE :confused::confused:

WHETHER IN PICTURES OR WORDS MY INTERPRETATION IS QUITE CLEAR, RIGHT SIZE CABLE FOR THE MCB ;)

I THINK RICHARD EVEN MANAGED TO ANSWER HIS OWN QUESTION SO ALL IS GOOD ME THINKS :cool:

I agree with Flukey it is a radial circuit and as there is only 1 earth not 2 as in a ring (which has two t& e thus two means of earth) it would be better not compulsary to lower the breaker/mcb put it on a 20A or 16A if possible not the Immersion though

WHAT IS A FORUM WITHOUT DEBATE :confused::confused:

WHETHER IN PICTURES OR WORDS MY INTERPRETATION IS QUITE CLEAR, RIGHT SIZE CABLE FOR THE MCB ;)

I THINK RICHARD EVEN MANAGED TO ANSWER HIS OWN QUESTION SO ALL IS GOOD ME THINKS :cool:

Calm down.

No point in getting worked up over it:D

HAHAHA, ME, WORKED UP :confused:

MUST BE MISSING SOMETHING HERE JASON AS I AM THE MODEL OF A RATIONAL PERSON. ;)

THE WHOLE IDEA OF A FORUM IS TO ENCOURAGE DEBATE AND IF WE ALL THOUGHT THE SAME AND AGREED, WHAT A DULL PLACE IT WOULD BE.

Guys just for reference there is an update for p362/3 of the regs here:

http://www.------.org/publishing/wi...es/bs7671-2008-corrigendum-jul08.cfm?type=pdf

HAHAHA, ME, WORKED UP :confused:

MUST BE MISSING SOMETHING HERE JASON AS I AM THE MODEL OF A RATIONAL PERSON. ;)

THE WHOLE IDEA OF A FORUM IS TO ENCOURAGE DEBATE AND IF WE ALL THOUGHT THE SAME AND AGREED, WHAT A DULL PLACE IT WOULD BE.

I think it must be the CAPS then!

I just see it as lazy. If the single 2.5mm T&E for the socket below goes back to the board it ought to either be on a separate breaker or have two pieces of 2.5mm T & E and be part of the ring.

Hey, you can spur off a 1000a busbar if less than 300m, wired in 2.5mm (for alarms etc) so long as fitted adjacent busbar chambre. Many hospitals I have worked on have this arrangement. Point being you cannot run cables outside the area, the spur must be adjoined, hence the 300mm length. By the way I have fitted fire alarms to live 300a busbars, so now can you tell me how I drilled the busbar red...oops brown phase without isolating cos the nat health peeps would not allow isolation, even for a 2 minutes...

All answers please...

Reply to More than one circuit on breaker in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock