Discuss Motor Tripping RCD but it's not even connected to it in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi, I have just installed a dedicated 32A circuit to feed a motor which according to the data plate is 3.0kW and 16.6 Amps, single phase. It is fed from a 32A MCB via 6mm cable about 22 metres. I have fed it from a MK twin 63 Amp RCD board but this motor circuit is not protected by either RCD,

The confusing thing is that one of the RCD's trips when the motor is started; when the motor is running I can reset the RCD and everything is fine. The RCD that trips is the one physically located nearest to the motor circuit RCD

There are no borrowed neutrals, I have swapped the RCD's over to make sure one of them isn't faulty but the RCD nearest the motor circuit still trips when the motor is started.

Obviously there is going to be a voltage dip on start up but would this trip an RCD and if so why don't they both trip?

There is no soft start on the motor.

Any ideas appreciated.

Borrowed Neutral, just re read your post which I have to say is confusing, is it an RCD that's tripping and not Circuit breaker? Are you an Electrician?

Is there clear separation on the busbar between your non rcd circuit and the rcd circuit? As clearly current is present which is not balanced and you say its not the neutral.

Long long time since I done anything with motors, but remember in the past motors tripping RCD's on their circuits, due imbalances or something on start up. Perhaps it that, and the neutrals are not clearly separated. OR I might just be talking ****!

Is there physical separation between motor MCB and the RCD.

Could be magnetic influence causing the RCD to trip.

Hi JD, can I ask what is the earthing type, and is this new circuit in a new board? (describe installation?). Also, is the motor new - have you confirmed it's IR?

Neutral to earth fault on one of the circuits protected by the RCD which trips which then is affected by the motor you are starting.

That's my guess

What happens if you turn off the circuits on the RCD? Can you start the motor without tripping the RCD?

A photo of the board would be useful.

I don't have a photo of it but from left to right it is main switch, RCD 1 63A 30mA, 5 MCB's RCD protected, RCD 2 63A 30mA (this is the one that trips), 3 MCB's RCD protected, 32A MCB feeding motor, 16A MCB feeding different motor both 32A and 16A MCB's fed directly from main switch. Mainly old installation, new board, installation fully tested all OK, 2 new circuits for the motors. No borrowed neutrals, definite separation between busbars. Even if the three circuits breakers fed from RCD 2 are switched off the RCD still trips when the bigger motor starts, nothing trips when smaller motor starts. TT system. Brand new motors.

I suspect it is saturating the rcd coil on start up or if it is some type of split phase motor it it creating a momentary imbalance when the centrifugal switch opens. Is it DOL.

I assume the motor is an induction motor. So there are two events when it starts. Does the RCD in question trip when:

a. the DOL start button is pressed?
b. the contrepetal force switch opens to disconnect the start winding?

In addition what does the motor drive?

Is it started with high or low mechanical shaft load?

Have you taken any IR measurements of the motor as wilko asked earlier?

I assume the motor is an induction motor. So there are two events when it starts. Does the RCD in question trip when:

a. the DOL start button is pressed?
b. the contrepetal force switch opens to disconnect the start winding?

In addition what does the motor drive?

Is it started with high or low mechanical shaft load?

Have you taken any IR measurements of the motor as wilko asked earlier?

It is an induction motor,
The RCD trips when the DOL start button is pressed
It is for an apple press
It is started with low (no) shaft load
I have not taken IR measurements, as I said it's a new motor and even if there was a fault why would it trip the RCD?

It is an induction motor,
The RCD trips when the DOL start button is pressed
It is for an apple press
It is started with low (no) shaft load
I have not taken IR measurements, as I said it's a new motor and even if there was a fault why would it trip the RCD?
A fault to earth?

This is being caused by the motor starting, rcds and motors often don't make good friends.

A question that hasn't been asked yet, is the CU a high integrity board? just so I can get my head around the problem.

A question that hasn't been asked yet, is the CU a high integrity board? just so I can get my head around the problem.
It is a TT system needs rcd for fault protection.

32A MCB feeding motor, 16A MCB feeding different motor both 32A and 16A MCB's fed directly from main switch
@Pete999 This quote is part of post #10, so it looks like it's a high integrity board. The confusion is that the motor is not connected to the RCD which is tripping.

@JD Hogg If it is a TT system how can you have circuits not connected to an RCD?

Is it possible to move the problem circuit to between the Main switch and the 1st RCD? might stop the heavy load affecting the RCDs. Or possibly fit another small non RCD ccu just for that circuit?

Reply to Motor Tripping RCD but it's not even connected to it in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock