Discuss Motorbike lights and running power in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

D

Despise

I know some of you maybe asking why Im posting here and not on a motorbike forum so il lay it down for you. Basically I want to run some lights on my motorbike just off of battery power for track race use (as the bike doesnt generate power) and need a few questions answered or help.

I have:

Headlight running two MR16 LED lights 1.3watt each = total of 2.6watt
stop/tail light 2.4watt / 1.1watt = total of 3.5watt
Two Plate lights 1.4watt each = total of 2.8watts

Total as whole [ 8.9watts ]

All this runs at 12volts.
what I need to know is what is the best power source to go for in terms of rechargable batteries,longest lasting and weight.

I think i worked out that if the current is 12volts then i do 8.9watts divided by 12volts = 0.75mah (this is the amps an hour i need to keep it running? correct me if im wrong.) And if I did need 0.75mah, how long would 10x AA 1.2volt rechargeables last at 2700mah ?

sorry if im not explaining myself clearly, just im trying to get my head around it all, any help very much appreciated, thanks

I know some of you maybe asking why Im posting here and not on a motorbike forum so il lay it down for you. Basically I want to run some lights on my motorbike just off of battery power for track race use (as the bike doesnt generate power) and need a few questions answered or help.

I have:

Headlight running two MR16 LED lights 1.3watt each = total of 2.6watt
stop/tail light 2.4watt / 1.1watt = total of 3.5watt
Two Plate lights 1.4watt each = total of 2.8watts

Total as whole [ 8.9watts ]

All this runs at 12volts.
what I need to know is what is the best power source to go for in terms of rechargable batteries,longest lasting and weight.

I think i worked out that if the current is 12volts then i do 8.9watts divided by 12volts = 0.75mah (this is the amps an hour i need to keep it running? correct me if im wrong.) And if I did need 0.75mah, how long would 10x AA 1.2volt rechargeables last at 2700mah ?

sorry if im not explaining myself clearly, just im trying to get my head around it all, any help very much appreciated, thanks

Would you not be better off using a small 12volt motorbike battery and using a standard car charger.Also your plate light wattage sounds like overkill,are they all led?

1.Would you not be better off using a small 12volt motorbike battery and using a standard car charger. 2.Also your plate light wattage sounds like overkill,are they all led?

1. Im not sure, Ive had this in mind but I thought maybe I can have roughly the same output (in running time) with some other rechargeable yet have a lighter battery, as with the motorbike Lead acid batteries most of them as sealed and if I run it down too much it will never recover. so im just exploring my options here (was hoping you had the answer to this).

2. Im not sure what type of lights the plate lights are but I think there LED due to there size. All the other lights are LED yes.

Can you recommend anything? as Ive read lots about different recharagble power sources but cant seem to see what the happy medium is as it were or the best either.

I am trying to understand your question, but your comment about the bike doesn't produce any power. What supplies the ignition coils?

Your machine must have some type of generating system?

Also what type of track racing are you entering that you need number plates?

When race preparing jetskis, we removed the charging circuit to save weight, and used "total loss", ie started the race with a fully chargeed battery, and hope you finished before the battery went flat.

We found that during races, reliablity and durability was important, but will your safety marshalls allow lights to be glorified torches?

Have a look at power tool batteries, also find your local truck part supplier. If you used truck lamps, which run at 24V, you may have better scope of battery weight / current drain / brightness.

If you have the monies, consider laptop batteries. Expensive, but pack one hell of a punch, and very light. (No pun intended)

Last edited by a moderator:
I am trying to understand your question, but your comment about the bike doesn't produce any power. What supplies the ignition coils?

Your machine must have some type of generating system?

Also what type of track racing are you entering that you need number plates?

When I say doesnt produce any power I mean the bike/stator doesnt have a lighting coil so I cant run the lights off the stator/engine if you understand that. (I dont expect anyone to understand as this isnt a motorbike forum i know)

my bike will be doing supermoto and when I say plate just just mean the fender race numbers.

When race preparing jetskis, we removed the charging circuit to save weight, and used "total loss", ie started the race with a fully chargeed battery, and hope you finished before the battery went flat.
This is how I want to run bike. what I want to know is whats the best type of rechargable battery(ies) to use and how long will it last based on calculation, il give you an example but im not sure if its correct, why i need help.

All my lights running together needs 8.9watts all at the voltage at 12volts. So If I did [ 8.9 divided by 12 = 0.741 ] that means it would need 741mah (milli Amp hour), does that mean If I have a battery of 12 volts at 2700mah that i can run my lights for 3 hours or so? or do I have this totally figured out wrong?

Is there anyway of telling how long my lights will last at a certain battery capibility?

Witch battery type to choose?

(as there loads out there, looking for one thats light but can deliver power at the same time, an hour+ if not better lasting time and the least suffering from memory effect,low cap after discharge and things like that)

Just a few of the questions I need answered

ps: I think a laptop battery is lithium-ion or polymer, Ive been reading about different battery types but I still cant get my head round it all and I cant seem to find either of the two battery types I just mentioned above that is in 12v, they seem to come in 3.7v or 11v.

Any more info greatly apreciated as im really confused.

When I say doesnt produce any power I mean the bike/stator doesnt have a lighting coil so I cant run the lights off the stator/engine if you understand that. (I dont expect anyone to understand as this isnt a motorbike forum i know)

my bike will be doing supermoto and when I say plate just just mean the fender race numbers.

This is how I want to run bike. what I want to know is whats the best type of rechargable battery(ies) to use and how long will it last based on calculation, il give you an example but im not sure if its correct, why i need help.

All my lights running together needs 8.9watts all at the voltage at 12volts. So If I did [ 8.9 divided by 12 = 0.741 ] that means it would need 741mah (milli Amp hour), does that mean If I have a battery of 12 volts at 2700mah that i can run my lights for 3 hours or so? or do I have this totally figured out wrong?

Is there anyway of telling how long my lights will last at a certain battery capibility?

Witch battery type to choose?

(as there loads out there, looking for one thats light but can deliver power at the same time, an hour+ if not better lasting time and the least suffering from memory effect,low cap after discharge and things like that)

Just a few of the questions I need answered

ps: I think a laptop battery is lithium-ion or polymer, Ive been reading about different battery types but I still cant get my head round it all and I cant seem to find either of the two battery types I just mentioned above that is in 12v, they seem to come in 3.7v or 11v.

Any more info greatly apreciated as im really confused.
sorry can't really help you with the calculations,but I think you would have to consider the draining effect might not be steady and that your calculations would have to be made in the same way that you would work out compound interest as opposed to simple interest----only in reverse.
sounds like a load of cobblers.........why not just try it out?live test.
A mate of mine years ago when I was living in australia had his whole house running off 12volts......12volt dicroic lamps,12volt tv and fridge all off a car battery,and he used to bring it into work to get charged up every 3or 4 days and that was long before the days of led lamps so he would have been consuming a fair bit of juice. I still think a small motorbike battery is your best bet,I think it would easily last 12hours on the low load that you would be using,so you wouldn't be fully draining it if you were only using it for a couple of hours at a time between recharging.

sorry can't really help you with the calculations,but I think you would have to consider the draining effect might not be steady and that your calculations would have to be made in the same way that you would work out compound interest as opposed to simple interest----only in reverse.
sounds like a load of cobblers.........why not just try it out?live test.
A mate of mine years ago when I was living in australia had his whole house running off 12volts......12volt dicroic lamps,12volt tv and fridge all off a car battery,and he used to bring it into work to get charged up every 3or 4 days and that was long before the days of led lamps so he would have been consuming a fair bit of juice. I still think a small motorbike battery is your best bet,I think it would easily last 12hours on the low load that you would be using,so you wouldn't be fully draining it if you were only using it for a couple of hours at a time between recharging.
I was afraid it was going to come to trial and error, thanks for the info.
Running a whole house off a car battery that pretty good :D. Il try a lead acid and let you know how it goes

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you tried model shops some years ago i got some rechargeable batteries for a model speedboat and the shop was able to make up any battery you wanted by shrink wrapping the individual 1.5V cells together. I ended up with a very small, powerful 12V battery by having 2 rows of 4cells.

Have you tried model shops some years ago i got some rechargeable batteries for a model speedboat and the shop was able to make up any battery you wanted by shrink wrapping the individual 1.5V cells together. I ended up with a very small, powerful 12V battery by having 2 rows of 4cells.
well I was looking to make my own pack up of whatever but I need more information as to how long it would last in terms of use and capacity held, then just a matter of what type of rechargeable batteries type

Just a quick thought towards the fact that you are entering endro racing. How often do you pit stop for fuel, and could you have a "quick change" system. May require two or three spare batteries, but would save weight whilst daylight.

Just a quick thought towards the fact that you are entering endro racing. How often do you pit stop for fuel, and could you have a "quick change" system. May require two or three spare batteries, but would save weight whilst daylight.
I could have a backup yes, only needs to last all in all about 2 hours. my preference would be 1 hour minimum, 2 hours medium, 3 hours would be perfect though :)

Reply to Motorbike lights and running power in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock