Discuss Multiple extractor fans for smelly foods in open plan kitchen in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi guys

I could not find a suitable place for my question so I wanted to post it here. I have a kitchen extension coming up and I wanted to deal with smelly foods for good. A cooker hood just doesn't cut it for me. I could think of many reasons why that would be the case, possibly clogged ducting, or inefficient hood or whatever the case, but as I have an opportunity, I want to take advantage and get an excellent air extraction system in place that deals with food smells effeciently, quickly, completely and without issues with draft (completely sealed when not in use). I also want to consider building regulations of course.

I would like to get ideas on how best this could be accomplished. I thought of a few ideas but not too sure about them.

I was looking for industrial extractor fans that I could just turn on when needed and they would just swoop everything out within a couple of minutes. I couldnt find one that would deal with draft when not in use.

Then I saw some ideas on Amazon like this

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00GY1GL02/ref=sspa_dk_detail_0?psc=1

This could go inside the ceiling and work with some ducting or pipes to take air to the outside.

In inlet could be something like this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Stainless-...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=7EZ84SBTDY44PYQ8P0EG

with a butterfly flap inside to deal with draft.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/100mm-Extr...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=7EZ84SBTDY44PYQ8P0EG

I could have a couple of these turn on with a single switch somewhere to deal with extra smelly food.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Criticisms please?

I am trying to think outside of the box on this, any help would be much appreciated.

The size & design of your kitchen will have impact on the extraction, along with what cooking appliances you intend to use.

Building control will stipulate extraction rate for your new kitchen extension, so ask them first to keep them happy.

You'll also need to bear in mind how you are going to run your ducting, in your ceiling space, bearing in mind joists, pipes, cables etc.

I should have added this detail, I am planning an open plan kitchen alongside dining table and living room all in one. Which makes this especially important. Imagine watching TV or having guests while cooking smells are all over the place.

I should have added this detail, I am planning an open plan kitchen alongside dining table and living room all in one. Which makes this especially important. Imagine watching TV or having guests while cooking smells are all over the place.

Your going to have to go some with that. What cooking appliances will you have, and will they be located in different places in the kitchen?

You could consider a re circulating fan hood above hob/oven, and a separate extraction somewhere else.

I would think about contacting the fan manufactures, Xpelair, Vent Axia etc, and ask for some advice on your intended project.

Rushton got the main one:)

I giggled when i read the "draught flap",as the main draughts would not be there,but the places where those many extractors,were pulling their supply from.

Seen the commercial progression of this,in a pub,where the many kitchen extractors,reversed the flue gas direction,on the snug wood-stove.

Only sensible suggestion that springs to mind,would be a single point of extraction,with ducting to desired points,and heat-exchanger fitted pre-vent.
Nice and expensive,troublesome and impressive.

I want an open kitchen but don't expect smells to be able to escape from the open kitchen.
I want to cook people food but don't want them to allow them to smell it until they are eating it.

I think this one ranks up there with the guy who wanted the regs to change to allow more than one charging socket in a bathroom because he kept forgetting to charge his toothbrush that had years old depleted batteries.

When I'm cooking I want the guest to smell it and get their juices going. I'm with Andy78 in that It's an impossible task.
When I fry up a mackerel for breakfast I do it outside on the portable gas burner. And pretend I'm the hunter gatherer! (In truth it's my wife who hunts and gathers in Sainsburys!)

Hi - just sharing what I've done at home, for what it's worth. House had a largish domestic cooker hood with 150mm outlet but air was recirculated through filters. This just wasn't doing the job, so I created a path out for 150mm metal flue and added a 150mm in line mixed flow fan. This setup now works well :).

When I fry up a mackerel for breakfast I do it outside

if you fried a mackerel here, you'd stay outside.disgusting,smelly,inedible, yuk. same with kippers and other creatures that fornicate in water.

Reply to Multiple extractor fans for smelly foods in open plan kitchen in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net