Discuss NAPIT Assessment Equipment in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

hi Nicolas.A multimeter is not the same as a multi-function tester,the MFT has a lot more functions that are needed to carry out the necessary tests,as trev 1 said google it and have a look

Last edited by a moderator:
Like I have said - Most of the work that I do is changing socket covers, CUs, Switchs, installing showers, etc.

So what would people recommend??

I don't want to shell out a few hundred and not get the use of it.

The work I do is purely the little jobs that mostly do not need notifying, but there will be the odd few now and again. Plus the boss wants me to have the NAPIT instead of using the LA every time - save money!!

It's not really a case of how much use you will get out of it. If you do just one notifiable job then you will need the relevant tester. You will definitley need it for your assesment. And you really should be testing all the work you do to cover yourself and ensure that it is safe to use, regardless of whether it is notifiable or not.

Last edited:
To complete a minor works cert you will need to carry out an insulation resistance test,Zs,RCD operating time ect ect For that you will need the relevant test equipment.Never mind for a CU change!

I have a Level 3 ND in Electrical Engineering (completed in 2005), which NAPIT are more happy with.
They are giving me 1 year to do my 17th Edition and a further year after that to do my Inspect and Test.

They are happy to assess me now with what I have and for me to self cert.

I have been working for the last 7 years doing some electrical work.

I am booked onto the 17th Edition next Tuesday for 8 weeks

I am then going to do my Test and Inspect as soon as I finish the 17th Edition.
I am also looking at PAT as well - I have 2 options:
1. College - Same days as the 17th Edition for over £200 plus VAT
2. Online - £70 and do it in my own time - endorsed and recommended by NAPIT (NAPIT pointed me towards it)
What does everyone think of he online one

Nicholas: How can Napit be happy to assess you if you Don't have the relevant test equipment ? You will need either a Loop / PSC tester, RCD tester & Insulation continuity tester as seperate items or all of the above rolled into 1 in an MFT.

Well this might be the reason Im asking - I need to make sure I have the correct equipment.

They are happy to assess with my qualifications, its all down now to meeting the requirements and pass the assessment

OK: Do you have a Loop / PSC tester, An RCD Tester & an Insulation / Continuity tester & know how to use them properly ? Or A Multifunction tester that Incorporates all of the above functions.

Oh your also going to need a GS38 approved 2 pole tester for proving safe isolation as well.

If you don't have them then you wo'nt pass the assessment & will have wasted your money.

At the end of the day you should be testing every circuit that you work on & if changing a CU should be doing a full test.

Will he need a proving device to test the 2 pole tester?

Good point. But I don't know whether they actually enforce that & make lack of a proving unit a Failure or if it's advise only. A lot of Sparks don't have them, prefering to use a known live source.

Totally agree with you about the Lock off kit, I would have hoped that if he's been working on Electrical installations for the last 7 years he'd have at least the Basics. But it does'nt appear so, don't know what this Spark has been teaching him.

Napit dont require a locking off kit but they do require a approved voltage indicator not a multimeter. you also need a 17th edition multifunction tester such as the fluke 1651-1654b range.

They don't require you to have a lock off kit, that's brilliant. So you have an approved voltage indicator to prove isolation, but no lock off kit to ensure it stays isolated while you work on iy. Priceless.

as far as voltage indicators are concerned.....to GS38..with a max of 4mm probe tip showing..preferably 2mm....and a KNOWN SOURSE OF SUPPLY...such as a proving unit or the incoming side of a double pole isolator...such as those found on CUs ..etc.....

Reply to NAPIT Assessment Equipment in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net