Discuss NAPIT Assessment Equipment in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

Spazz

I have my NAPIT Assessment coming up in the next week and want to make sure I have the right equipment.

If someone can post a list of minimum required equipment that would be great, as most people I don't want to go and buy something else especially if the equipment I have does the job to the standard required.

All they say is:
Instruments - there must be access to sufficient instruments to carry out tests relevant to the scope of work carried out by the applicant and which could include: voltage, insulation resistance, continuity,
polarity, earth fault loop impedance (circuits and external), operation of RCDs.

The basic equipment yes - just making sure they are not going to be picky.
I am newly qualified and as you can expect with colleges they have all the latest, but does not help the average new Joe who has a budget to keep to.

Is there anything you can recommend I should have as a minimum, of course I have a reasonable multimeter, Socket Tester, etc

The only thing i'm not sure about is the operation of RCDs tester?????? - any recommendations as the college had a nice tool which you plug the RCD into - again useless unless you have a few hundred to spend on a tool with one function.

Your Tester/s should also have current callibration certificate

Are you asking about testing your current rcd test instrument or about not owning rcd tester?

Last edited:
This is also another reason why Im asking to make sure that I am ready.

I think I am but always better to have a 2nd opinion.

Minimum would be a multifunction installation tester. Lots of companies make them, I'd have thought a newly qualified spark would be familiar with a lot as his/her company would have some test gear and as you state the colleges have them. If you look hard enough you can often pick them up for reasonable prices.

What is it that you have?
Does it have a recent calibration certificate? If it doesn't get it done or you will most likely fail
Do you have all the required paperwork in order?

I have all the paperwork in order I think - I have had it checked already by the lecture from college and he was happy, a few pointers but all done now - he was just no help when it came to the equipment as hes used to the college ones and dont know what else is on the market.

Thanks for all your help - It appears that I do have one.
<<<<eh?.....you need to know what test instruments you have and how to use em....in a safe manner and in the way they were designed to be used so as to achieve correct values etc......if you dont know this stuff...how are you going to present a full cert for the work you will/should have carried out as per terms of a part p assessment?...hmm....

I have all the paperwork in order I think - I have had it checked already by the lecture from college and he was happy, a few pointers but all done now - he was just no help when it came to the equipment as hes used to the college ones and dont know what else is on the market.
so if your lecturer is not conversant with differeht types of test equipment (different manufacturers etc) then whats he doing lecturing?.....for instance a loop tester ..is a loop tester...some use dloc (robin)..others use low current loop..(megger, metrel, fluke) etc....the same for an RCD tester.....or a low resistance ohmmeter.....

I have the SOK 36 Professional Socket/Earth/Loop/Polarity/RCD Tester.

I only had it about a month ago and haven't used it as yet.

I have tried to post a link but it appears not to have come up - something about a Mod confirming it - hence the delay

I have been with another spark for the last 3 months since I passed, he then had some personal problems so the owner of the company (a property management company) has told me to kit myself up and get the NAPIT assessment done and I will take over.

If I have any problems then I can call on the spark, but due t what happened and how soon I dont want to start asking him questions at this delicate time.

Most of the work that I do is changing socket covers, CUs, Switchs, installing showers, etc.

Its only when the tenant says that something is not working I go in and fix it.

I will also add that ll the equipment we had belonged to the other sparky - so the boss told me to go out get my own stuff and it belongs to me.

I know its an easy way to cope out of servicing etc.

I only got told this on Monday so I was thrown into the deep end, and if I dont I will be out of work till I can sort something else out.

you need a multi function tester. That socket tester is no good. You will be throwing away your assesment fee if you turn up with just that. Your assessment will be over in 10 mins and it won't be a pass!!

Edit to add: You won't even use that socket tester on your assesment.

Last edited:
Nicholas I'm having problems replying to your PM, evry time I try my laptop locks up so I'll respond in detail tomorrow but in the mean time google Multifunction Electrical Test Equipment and you'll get a better idea of what we are talking about.
The gear you're proposing to use is a box of frogs by comparison to what you need. Take a look at testmeter.co.uk you'll get a discount for being a forum member as they sponsor it.
Be prepared to shell out a good few quid and to spend a bit of time learning how to use it and interpret the results.

I have a standard multimeter which does, voltage (AC (500V)/DC(500v)), Resistance (upto 20M Ohms), Current and temperature.
Like I said above I have been thrown into the deep end and want the best chance.

If there is anything that anyone recommends then tell me and I will sort it.

Well it's all down to personal choice really. I prefer Megger myself. I think the new one out is the MFT1730? I also use a Fluke 1652 but given the choice I would have a Megger. However you will get a range of opinions. Your biggest hurdle at the moment though is learning how to use one and knowing what the meter is telling you.

Reply to NAPIT Assessment Equipment in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net