Discuss Napit.. Do you still choose the job, or do they? in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

HappyHippyDad

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
On the Napit certification page there is a little tick box, saying something along the lines of ' I consent to this job being used for my assessment '.
Does this mean Napit makes its own choice, from that list, or do we still choose which job is used for the assessment?

The last time I had an assessment with them I chose which one, to be fair though I don't do much domestic so there was a very slim choice anyway!
That was back in January, so it could have changed.

In the brave new world of YouTube and TicTok we could just make a 5 minute video at a job. Send this every 6 months to the SCAM of choice and do away with the waste of time site check up ?
To be honest, the last 3 site visits until this one have all been over zoom or similar.
I just went to the site and walked round with my phone and showed the assessor what I had installed. No problem at all, nice and easy and took about 1/2 an hour, all paperwork was emailed direct to them so no office visit required either!
Definitely the way forward imho!

I can only assume they've reduced their membership fees accordingly now their inspectors can check probably three times the number of jobs in a day without travelling.
Via Zoom / Face time you could probably rattle through 10 times the amount maybe even 15 times the amount per day

My one is due and they have asked for 3 sites for visit and they will pick one....Thing is all my work is domestic and trying to get a client to be home so you can do a visit is a problem
That sounds a bit different. 3 jobs! Has anyone else had to do the same as @Markyd ?
In the past they have just asked me to choose one job, my choice. Recently, it seems to be more office based, i.e I send in all my details rather than a site visit which I'm more than happy with. Have you been assessed many times @Markyd ? I'm wondering if, after a while, they get a feel for your work standards and adjust their assessments accordingly?

I'm wondering if, after a while, they get a feel for your work standards and adjust their assessments accordingly?
I've wondered this as well, I've not had a proper assessment since 2019, although a guy (same bloke from 2019 and a few before that, even when I was with Stroma..) did appear 2 years ago after I found a job that was 'on his way to another one' he didn't hang around long, it was a very big place that's been ongoing for 8 years with lots of designery features, including loads of galv trunking / conduit, light fittings handmade by me and the designer etc and for fear of seeming to blow my own trumpet is quite impressive for a domestic , quick 'show me an RCD test' and he was gone. Last year...not a dicky bird no mention of an assessment, took my money though (of course) My renewal is coming up so we will see for this year!

My one is due and they have asked for 3 sites for visit and they will pick one....Thing is all my work is domestic and trying to get a client to be home so you can do a visit is a problem
They used to say within 20 mins travel of your 'base' as well (not sure about that now..?) because they wanted to check your office facilities or somesuch as well, which was a challenge for me being somewhat rural.

That sounds a bit different. 3 jobs! Has anyone else had to do the same as @Markyd ?
In the past they have just asked me to choose one job, my choice. Recently, it seems to be more office based, i.e I send in all my details rather than a site visit which I'm more than happy with. Have you been assessed many times @Markyd ? I'm wondering if, after a while, they get a feel for your work standards and adjust their assessments accordingly?
Yes been with them 7 years

I've not had one zoom or in person since June 2021 👌 I have seen that tick box but never tick it, may not be suitable when the time comes depending on customer, imagine going back to a 2 year old job for a customer you may not have worked for since, just weird 😅

Depends on the assessor! I’m very lucky that I have the same top bloke come every time.
I don’t tick that box for notifications as the current arrangement works well. He needs 3 addresses to keep the computer happy. I make it clear which one is easiest for us to attend and closest. Oddly enough that one is picked.
I also know his personal hobbies and if I can find him a job at a historic building or a heritage railway I will as it brightens up his dull day.
My only advice is that if the guy is at all personable (and not a jobsworth robot) then make him a coffee and go the extra mile to be ready and organised with the paperwork, and it pays to develop a good relationship.

My only advice is that if the guy is at all personable (and not a jobsworth robot) then make him a coffee and go the extra mile to be ready and organised with the paperwork, and it pays to develop a good relationship.
To be honest that goes for a lot of things, Many years ago I had two companies running and the dread was always the VAT visit never had the same person twice but they all had stories of being treated like **** on some visits so they made the extra effort to find a problem or prolonged the inspection. We always offered tea or coffee when we were making a brew if we were going out to pick something up for lunch we offered to pick something up for them if they wanted, nothing wrong with being civil no matter how much you may dislike them and most gave good advice to help you out One VAT inspection was funny I thought I recognised the inspector so we spent an hour or so looking at each other with puzzled faces until he said I'm sure I know you then we worked out he was a year or two above me at school and one of his mates was the older brother of one of my mates, surprising how quick the visit was concluded including some advice on reclaiming some VAT we had overpaid
As with many of these assessments / inspections why stress it will show and they will think you have made errors and are worried that they will find something to pull you up on if you are confident and chilled they probably won't bother

One VAT inspection was funny I thought I recognised the inspector
Going OT, but the funniest I've had was when a chap turned up to survey a house I was selling for the purchaser. This was in Oswestry. After coffee and cake we got chatting and randomly discovered two places our paths had vaguely crossed before:
1 - I'd looked around and came close to buying a house he used to own years ago.
2 - I mentioned I used to live in Carlisle - he'd been once, as an away fan when Spurs played Carlisle. I happened to have gone to that match (In the 10 years I'd lived in Carlisle that was one of only two games I went to!)
So we started off best of friends and it was a rather glowing survey.

I've not had one zoom or in person since June 2021 👌 I have seen that tick box but never tick it, may not be suitable when the time comes depending on customer, imagine going back to a 2 year old job for a customer you may not have worked for since, just weird 😅
Huh! Same (October 2021 last one). All my assessments then and before there were no issues with, got on well with the inspectors (had a couple of different ones over the years), good technical discussions, biscuits etc. Wouldn't surprise me if they do a risk assessment based on past performance and use that to determine "date of next inspection" - just like we do with EICRs I guess.

How is it supposed to work with three jobs, you cant say to your customer can you stay at home for the day but we might not even bother showing up. Also we have mainly done insurance work in council type houses this year, I cant rock up to one of them at random, apart from not knowing the tenants they could well be crackheads. Choosing three jobs this year will certainly be a challenge.

@oscar21 totally agree, it's a bit of a mare with some customers especially after a few months has passed, and you are bringing a complete stranger to their castle!
I do maybe 10 domestic jobs a year and sometimes struggle for 1 recent one to show them.

Tbf the assessor I had this year said he will be my new assessor from now on and didn't mind if I took him to see an agricultural or commercial job instead!

I think @Dustydazzler had the best idea, they should be over zoom or similar, or a video of the job you are doing!

Reply to Napit.. Do you still choose the job, or do they? in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net