Discuss Nearby motors damaging LED floodlights in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I do some electrical maintenance for a local church, the main hall is lit by around 12 LED floodlights, (they do look cheap) they seem to be constantly dying, they have asked if a wood work shop across the road could be causing this, with saws and other machinery constantly starting up, I’ve suggested getting a surge protective device to be installed but I can only see that protecting against very high spikes in voltage such as lightning strikes etc.

I know induced currents can cause surges but would it be likely they would damage the LEDs? I think they should probably pay to have replaceable LED lamp lights rather than led chip floodlights

LED lamps are less reliable because they have more components which can fail randomly or by some form of excess eg; voltage, current, temperature. That's why the 'better quality' ones may be more reliable because they use components with higher individual mean time between failures (MTBF) - but the life will generally still be less than promised.

The electronics are sensitive to overvoltage and some LED do have some in-built suppression. Over-voltage of long duration causes them to burn brighter (ie higher current and Ohmic heating) and of short duration causes component failure or premature weakening and ageing.

I'd be tempted to fit a voltage surge suppressor in the supply to the array of LED lamps, to protect against transient spikes in mains voltage and reduce the effect of nearby lightning, such as:

If they are dimmable types, I'd also switch them on using a soft-start dimmer with a rotate to switch on/off (not push on/off) to lessen the electrical shock of a conventional switch energisation eg:

I immediately just thought God moves in mysterious ways but like Pegs comment better :D

Reply to Nearby motors damaging LED floodlights in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock