Discuss Need help with weird electrical issues cant afford to put car in right now in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
The symptoms its been having to start with was the fuel gage only working sometimes and when i play music from my phone when a loud song came on the volume would go down but the stereo would still be on the same volume and id have to turn the volume down and back up and within minutes it would happen again,

ive had the car for a year since then with no other problems until about a month ago my other guages/dash backlight and stereo started cutting in and out (temp, revs, speedo)and sometimes the warning lights would come on (abs, airbag, temp, batt etc),

this progressed to all the warning lights coming on when i start the car and as soon as i would accelerate all the guages/dashlight and stereo would die then when i put the brakes on coming up to a corner or at the lights everything would come back on then when i accelerate they would all die again, my indicators and lights still worked fine and the car was running okay,

since then it progressed further to the batery going flat every night i would have to disconnect my terminals or charge the battery on a wall charging unit the next day, we checked my alternater and was charging with the correct volts and when i would fully charge my batery the indicator would go green but even fully charged id have no guages or stereo,

since then everything seemed okay i would just disconnect the battery every night then two weeks ago my engine area would be very hot i dont know ig the radiator or fans were coming on,,

since then i only drove short trips when i absolutely had to and after a week i smelled the rotten eggs smell of my battery leaking when i got home the battery looked like it was about to explode and spraying out battery acid out the seal,

me and my stepdad tried a new battery and tested the alternater again and it was putting out 27 volts and i havn't tried to use the car soon,

i need to pickup my son and get to my new job soon and need to try fix it asap so any information on how to determine the problem would be greatly appreciated i dont have the money to send it to an auto electrition

one other thing to note my front right headlight closes to the battery is dead now aswel
thanks again in advance

TL;DR
cant really summarise
I'd check all earth straps are present between various components such as battery, alternator, chassis etc first.

Not surprised you have had some lamp failures and unusual faults if the charge voltage had got as high as that.

As above, most likely a grounding issue.
look for any loose or corroded terminals strapped or bolted to the metalwork of the car.

Anything is possible, we were trying to give you the most likely fault as a place to start looking.

Reply to Need help with weird electrical issues cant afford to put car in right now in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net