Discuss Needs rewiring? Asbestos? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hello, thinking of buying a 1968 home. It has what looks like an old fuse box and a small electrical panel. Nephew (electrician) saw the pic and thought asbestos and needs all new wiring. It is a 1600 sq ft house. Any thoughts? We live out if state and can’t view it.

Attachments

• Needs rewiring? Asbestos? 22230B1E-E4B3-4CF9-9BB5-FB516900448D - EletriciansForums.net
    22230B1E-E4B3-4CF9-9BB5-FB516900448D.jpeg
    158.2 KB · Views: 29
  • Needs rewiring? Asbestos? C966CC6D-2F15-496E-9602-B0A018C67FFE - EletriciansForums.net
    C966CC6D-2F15-496E-9602-B0A018C67FFE.jpeg
    123.8 KB · Views: 29
  • Needs rewiring? Asbestos? C562EFCC-BFBF-47B8-B546-644B6955A130 - EletriciansForums.net
    C562EFCC-BFBF-47B8-B546-644B6955A130.jpeg
    124.1 KB · Views: 29
Hello, thinking of buying a 1968 home. It has what looks like an old fuse box and a small electrical panel. Nephew (electrician) saw the pic and thought asbestos and needs all new wiring. It is a 1600 sq ft house. Any thoughts? We live out if state and can’t view it.
@jamade what you have is an old Edison based panel which is probably older than us. If I was you I would upgrade the service and take out the old panel. As far as asbestos you’re friend is seeing the cloth insulation and thinking it’s asbestos. Do I think you need a 100% rewire no I see some fairly new wiring. is your nephew a licensed electrician so he can pull permits and do the work, if not when you get to town you need to find a licensed electrician
[automerge]1573589431[/automerge]
@jamade what you have is an old Edison based panel which is probably older than us. If I was you I would upgrade the service and take out the old panel. As far as asbestos you’re friend is seeing the cloth insulation and thinking it’s asbestos. Do I think you need a 100% rewire no I see some fairly new wiring. is your nephew a licensed electrician so he can pull permits and do the work, if not when you get to town you need to find a licensed electrician
I got to add that this panel is ugly and scary looking. Good luck and welcome to our forum. Keep in touch

I think it could do with an upgrade, however it looks from the pictures to be serviceable.

the only thing that MIGHT be asbestos is the blue backing in the panel shown in picture 1
however if it is not disturbed it could still give many years service.
if you are concerned about the possibility of asbestos, then it would be wise to have a survey done that specifically looks for it.

it could be found in many places, fuse holders, heating flues, gutters, pipework, cladding, etc.

the list is endless, back in its day it was seen as a wonder material and used for all sorts of things.
it is strong, water resistant, heat resistant, cheep. why wouldn't you use it?
but back then they didn't know the dangers of cancer linked to it.

I expect that for a couple of hundred $ you could get a survey done, if it finds a bit here and there then I expect the cost could be offset against the agreed purchase price?

Reply to Needs rewiring? Asbestos? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock