Discuss Network Powerline Adapters with Dual Split Consumer Unit in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

D

Deleted member 107174

We're looking to get our consumer unit replaced and local electrians are suggesting a dual split unit so the 'workshop' can be on its own RCD.

My question (which no one seems to be able to answer) is will network over powerline adapters work if one adapter is on one 'side' of the split and other adapter is on the other side?

I hope that makes sense.

We need an internet connection in the workshop and we currently get this via such adapters (like these TL-PA9020P KIT | AV2000 2-Port Gigabit Passthrough Powerline Starter Kit | TP-Link United Kingdom - http://www.tp-link.com/uk/products/details/cat-18_TL-PA9020P-KIT.html)

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Mine work over multiple CCU's/RCD's.

The only time I have seen them not work is though a meter.

I used the ones you linked on a 110m long supply when I wired a friends workshop up at the bottom of his garden.

Make sure your supply is nice and beefy/oversized if you have long run for a small supply. Basically the thicker the cable the better as you can get slow speeds and drop outs on long runs as I found out at home.

Other options are

1. Ethernet cable
2. Wireless bridge if you have line of sight
3. Directional outdoor access point

Last edited:
TP Link are a good make. I have one but the signal goes between beakers and not between RCD's.
Its good to hear that they do work through RCD's as some on here have said in past posts that there may be problems.

I have some in our house across a RCBO CU - no issues

BUT I have seen issues on customer sites

Manufacturers of these products assure you they will work with RCD's - I can tell you that their confidence that they will always work is misplaced.

I use Devolo products - these come with a handy "cockpit" so you can see the connectivity speeds across the devices you have.

Doesn't everyone have some form of WiFi connection for the whole house? Thought I was in the technology dark ages, feel quite a yuppy now, or is it guppy. Or is that a fish?

I have some Solwise powerline adaptors - they work pretty well between the two RCDs on our split load consumer unit. I would say that the network connection does seem slightly quicker and more reliable when the powerline adaptors are on circuits on the same RCD but there's not a great deal in it.

Recently I went round nipping up the connections in the sockets that are on the circuits with the powerline adaptors - this appeared to give an appreciable improvement in network speed.

Reply to Network Powerline Adapters with Dual Split Consumer Unit in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock