Discuss New build 2nd fix after original contractor gone AWOL in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Bellendian

-
Arms
Reaction score
As the title really....been asked to 2nd fix a couple of new builds....original contractor no longer available, I don't know why. 1st fix completed, everything plastered up...
Somehow these houses need to be completed, but I'm not signing an EIC stating that I've first fixed when I haven't...
This must come up all the time, so I guess their must be a workable solution that keeps everyone happy?

Cheers

As the title really....been asked to 2nd fix a couple of new builds....original contractor no longer available, I don't know why. 1st fix completed, everything plastered up...
Somehow these houses need to be completed, but I'm not signing an EIC stating that I've first fixed when I haven't...
This must come up all the time, so I guess their must be a workable solution that keeps everyone happy?
you need your eyes wide open on this one op ,I would think like 123.alarm bells might start ring .

I with the OP, guess it happens on more than one occasion, you know what builders (developer's) are like. When monies involved I bet it gets swept under the concrete carpet.

Ha! I'm with nic, apparently original guy was as well. Nic reckon one option is to see if bco will accept eicr rather than eic to enable bco to issue a completion cert. I.e. I would not notify the work via self cert scheme, bco would issue part p compliance, and I would issue eicr to confirm all my work in order....
What bothers me is what happens when I'm testing, and turns out IR is ----ed since cable pinched or screwed through as 1st fix was pony.....
It's gonna be daywork I think...

What bothers me is what happens when I'm testing, and turns out IR is ****ed since cable pinched or screwed through as 1st fix was pony.....
It's gonna be daywork I think...
you know the nic do not do third party , so it down to the builder to sort that out .not you .
good luck if it was me I would walk away .just remember your insurance has well .

Last edited:
That's strictly not true. The BC may accept their qualifications and allow them to notify directly ...
In that case, there will be a paper trail of who done the work.
You'll all hellbent on thinking the worst have you ever thought that the original electrician may have had to stop working for health reasons for example. This can't have been the first time that this has happened. You know who the contractor was he may well be able to sign off an electrical installation certificate for the first fix. Before you take on this contract this is something that you need to address with the builder regarding issues outside your contracted role. The NICEIC and LBC should be helping you to do the right thing this may well be that this is now through LBC and the extra cost taken out of the previous electrician's retention monies.

Yeah, we aren't talking 3rd party here, even if nic did operate such a scheme, i'd only sign off if i'd witnessed 1st fix before boarding.
Eicr route effectively means bco taking responsibility for first fix as I see it. Question is; will they? Find out tomorrow I guess...

Yeah, we aren't talking 3rd party here, even if nic did operate such a scheme, i'd only sign off if i'd witnessed 1st fix before boarding.
Eicr route effectively means bco taking responsibility for first fix as I see it. Question is; will they? Find out tomorrow I guess...

Not all BCO's will accept EICR's .........

Eicr route effectively
third party is not niceic goes I afraid.
again, it is down to the builder . I would not do it .I have been down that road before .either strip out or except it ,and I will be down to you. good luck .

Eicr route effectively
again, it is down to the builder . I would not do it .I have been down that road before .either strip out or except it ,and I will be down to you. good luck .

Eicr route effectively

Reply to New build 2nd fix after original contractor gone AWOL in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net