Discuss New career. I hope in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all, been working a long time as an industrial electrician, for last ten years as a crane inspector. Just passed my 2394 2395 2392 etc at great personal expense tbh but well worth it (still have to pass my practical but I'm quietly cobfident) am hoping to go part time as am still employed. Is it true don't need competent person scheme for pirs. Just pl??

Welcome!

PIRs are now called EICRs. You do not need to be a member of a CPS to carry out those, only if you sre installing notifiable works.

My CPS (NAPIT) insist that you must have Professional Indemnity insurance (in addition to PLI) if you are doing EICRs. You need to cover yourself if the report that you produce is wrong!

Thanks for the prompt reply! I am aware that they are now electrical installation condition reports which Is why I have spent twelve weekends of my life going through this course plus a week off work. Sorry don't want to sound arrogant but the 2395 was the hardest exam I've done and the Hnc i done five years ago was a breeze compared to this lol

Not to be funny, but EICRs should only be completed by competent persons experienced in such installs - a "12 weekend" course would lead me to think you are neither of the above.

How ironic. I would love to have your knowledge of industrial electrics. Instead I only know how to wire house/offices etc. I think industrial electricians are real electricians somehow. Its the real deal in with 11kv and up I am only graded to 1kv. Still at least I am relatively safer in domestic office environments. At my age it is too late to pick up the knowledge of industrial electrics but would have loved to really. I cant imagine why you would want to go domestic, but welcome anyway. I think there is something to what Hightower said. Having been around domestic light commerciall installation for forty years I feel quite happy to move over to Inspecting and testing instead of the hard graft of installation. Crawling under floorboards crouching in lofts up and down ladders and stairs. But years of that is what gives the basis of later inspection and testing. As you know every little subtlety of house/office wiring. I imagine its the same if I tried switching to industrial, I dont think I could really do it now. I'd start with your own house if you have not already and try a few friends houses first for EICR. Its one thing in the classroom but so very different in the real world and there are so many things to check and tick it can get a bit crazy, you really have to have your marbles about you. I wish you good luck with your change. And once again welcome.

Thanks all for the welcome, I know that doing EICRs are not for the inexperienced which is why I have done this course, going from 16th ed to 17th was an eye opener plus the part P requirements, but have had a bit of house wiring experience down the years which is why I will appreciate any hints n tips you fellows can provide thanks

With your knowledge you will be absolutely fine. One of the main things is noticing details. I do not expect you would be alive today if you did not tread carefully around industrial electrics. And be very observant. I reckon you will do ok.

Hi Pico and welcome along, I too can't understand anyone going from Industrial to Domestic but there's nowt so queer as folk :D
I only do Industrial/Commercial so can say with confidence if you too have had a career in industrial and crane inspections then Domestic should be a Doddle. ( Ready for the onslaught from the Domestic Godessess :p )

You just need to apply the same logic as you would when inspecting a crane, Are there any immediate dangers, or can you see a potential danger or even something that is safe but needs improvement.
I have seen what can go wrong when cranes are not maintained and inspected correctly, nearly lost a good friend once when a 20 ton hoist came crashing down from above and missed him by a few feet.

Just apply all your experience and skills to adapt to your new surroundings and good luck.

Yeah granted going from the odd jobs to running a company is a huge step, just today had to to condemn an outside lighting circuit cos it was run off a plug with no cpc! It's frightening what you find out there jobs being done by cowboys, next job found an exposed terminal block literally
melted to the top of a kitchen cabinet cos the kitchen fitters find it acceptable once they pass their part P to leave 12v cabling exposed, I dunno but this is why I enjoy working on domestics I suppose

Reply to New career. I hope in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net