Discuss New circuit to detached shed/garage in garden. in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

DPG thanks because I want a tidy job in the garage so would like to know how you guys would go about it if you were not wiring up to CU. But it appears that most of you wouldn't do this job unless wiring from CU

Spoon I did several times and again today. He said he was happy with LED lights and that he would have a kettle and a fridge. And I said what about in winter with heater etc. However I checked his ring and there is not much on it. They have very little going on in the house.

Spoon I did several times and again today. He said he was happy with LED lights and that he would have a kettle and a fridge. And I said what about in winter with heater etc. However I checked his ring and there is not much on it. They have very little going on in the house.

Make sure you have that is writing/email, so if he complains later on you are covered.

Minor works cert Charlie?

Yes.. Is one of the reasons you want to spur off existing so you don’t have to do an EIC on the main installation?

Any records of when the house was last tested?
You have a duty of care as a qualified/competent electrician to take into consideration whether or not the installation you are utilizing is safe and fit for purpose

"Any records of when the house was last tested?
You have a duty of care as a qualified/competent electrician to take into consideration whether or not the installation you are utilizing is safe and fit for purpose." Thanks for reminding me Charlie. This is actually more important than my questions. No probably hasn't been done for donkeys years and I will need to run a few tests beforehand. Thanks. And although I thought it might be notifiable due to cable running outdoors I can't find anything about that in Building Regs so guess not notifiable after all.:)

found a similar thread on another forum :

"You could do a fused spur (13amp) off the ring, use an 2.5mm SWA to feed an RCD double socket in the shed. You would have to do another fused spur (3 amp)from that socket to feed a light."

"spuring off the socket circuit is allowed but don't forget only 1 socket per spur unless fused.

You would need to use armoured for burrying, and also would need rcd protection and bonding.

Your cheapest option would be to install an RCD spur in the house, come out of this with an armoured into the shed for a couple of sockets with a switched fused spur to switch the lights. This means your maximum load will be 13A."

"The problem you've got is leaving enough capacity in the ring for everything else it serves and not throwing the ring out of balance (it's easier to overload the shorter leg of the ring if a large point load is away from dead-centre (very easy if it's less than one third of the way around)."

Are you registered with a scheme?
I like how you snap at someone stating you know the regs yet in your first post you ask for an experienced electrician (if you knew the regs surely you would be) and that you knew the basics....are you an electrician and surely you shouldnt have taken on such a job if you then come onto a forum asking for someone to help you design a circuit only to not take into consideration what they are saying when they offer you good FREE advice.

thanks magnoliafan. In all honesty I signed up here because the site was advertised as "the uk's friendliest electrical forum" As it is well known that electricians can sometimes have an attitude I didn't want to be in the firing line. It is odd isn't it that although I am very grateful for the time and advice given that no one gave a direct answer to the question of how they would design the circuit in a garage if taken from a spur. And yet digging around a bit more on other electrical forums found a few posts where almost the exact same question was asked and straight forward answers and solutions were given. I am sure this is mostly down to my not so good communication for which I apologise. I have the C&G BS 7671 But like I said lacking practical experience i.e. nuts and bolts in wiring an outhouse. Also I have just realised that It is talk.electriciansforums.co.uk which is the one that has the sub header "the uk's friendliest electrical forum" thanks for your input.

Well you cant expect people to give you step by step instructions.
Im guessing you're either not an electrician or you may just be starting out as one, because if you honestly believed it was as straight forward as asking how and getting an immediate or simple response you are very naive.
You still never answered the question i asked which may in itself be an answer but ill try again...
What scheme are you registered and also what are your qualifications?

Thanks Magnoliafan. Well I agree. I am just starting out and should have mentioned this at the outset. I am also newly registered with a competent person scheme. Qualifications. Part P. 18th edition. level 3 inspection and testing. 15 years self employed builder. Masters in Building crafts.

Thanks Magnoliafan. Well I agree. I am just starting out and should have mentioned this at the outset. I am also newly registered with a competent person scheme. Qualifications. Part P. 18th edition. level 3 inspection and testing. 15 years self employed builder. Masters in Building crafts.

My 2 pennies worth ......... you are critical that people aren't jumping to give you step by step guides BUT remember, you could be bidding for work and the customer could be on here asking for advice on how to do it DIY ...... would you be handing out step by step advice to them?

Most of these forums are over run by chancers / DIYers and to say the least so of the "advice" is dubious to say the least.

My final advice is make sure your quote and invoice clearly state the design limit of the circuit .................so the customer can't haul you back in later to ask why he can't run a kiln in there without blowing the fuse!

Reply to New circuit to detached shed/garage in garden. in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net