Discuss New consumer unit installation in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I have just installed a new consumer unit in a fairly old house. There were some recently added circuit and some original circuits. The original wiring is very short and there were joints in the old consumer unit using connector blocks. What is generally accepted practice in a situation like this?

The connection must be made so there is no undue stress. Most people now revert to Wago style connectors, I try and tuck them out of the way behind the protective devices to give a neater finish.

Last edited:
I have just installed a new consumer unit in a fairly old house. There were some recently added circuit and some original circuits. The original wiring is very short and there were joints in the old consumer unit using connector blocks. What is generally accepted practice in a situation like this?
Personally I would install a suitable IPm rated box in place of the existing CU, or as close as possible, use Din Rail connectors and extend the entire set of outgoing circuits, far better than stuffing connectors of whatever sort inside the replacement CU, a far neater and more professional installation in my opinion, of course it will be more expensive for the client, something to discuss with them I think.

Personally I would install a suitable IPm rated box in place of the existing CU, or as close as possible, use Din Rail connectors and extend the entire set of outgoing circuits, far better than stuffing connectors of whatever sort inside the replacement CU, a far neater and more professional installation in my opinion, of course it will be more expensive for the client, something to discuss with them I think.
Unless it’s moving the existing circuits and CU a fair distance then that method is completely unnecessary in my opinion.
Cost wise that is.

Unless it’s moving the existing circuits and CU a fair distance then that method is completely unnecessary in my opinion.
Cost wise that is.
Like I said it was / is my opinion if you have cables that are to short for whatever reason, it's the best method
Of course we all have our own opinions, if you feel that way then that's YOUR opinion which differs from mine fair enough in my book.

If it’s just one or two cables require lengthening then wagos in the board and poke behind the devices.

If it’s more than 3 cables that require lengthening I would go down the box and din rail and just extend the lot

Like I said it was / is my opinion if you have cables that are to short for whatever reason, it's the best method
Of course we all have our own opinions, if you feel that way then that's YOUR opinion which differs from mine fair enough in my book.
I quoted once to install CU with din rail job to extend existing circuits, new CU was going lower. It was a Connexbox enclosure, with the Wago din rail connectors. The worked out more expensive that the new CU. Didn’t get the job.

However, I’d would quote a similar install, faced with the same situation. One or three Wago/splices is ok, not a whole load of them.

Have extended some existing circuits in MF boxes (left in ceiling void), and retired feeds as well.

I quoted once to install CU with din rail job to extend existing circuits, new CU was going lower. It was a Connexbox enclosure, with the Wago din rail connectors. The worked out more expensive that the new CU. Didn’t get the job.

You should be able to get a nice metal Rittal enclosure, din rail and terminals for < 50 quid.

I used to buy terminals from a company called Scattergood and Johnson, maybe worth checking them out. They also sell Rittal among other brands of enclosures, I went direct to Rittal, but as a company we were spending >20k a month with them so could get a direct account.

None of my work was domestic, but the terminals and boxes aren't exactly field specific.

MW how much did the entire din rail solution cost ?
You should be able to get a nice metal Rittal enclosure, din rail and terminals for < 50 quid.

I used to buy terminals from a company called Scattergood and Johnson, maybe worth checking them out. They also sell Rittal among other brands of enclosures, I went direct to Rittal, but as a company we were spending >20k a month with them so could get a direct account.

None of my work was domestic, but the terminals and boxes aren't exactly field specific.

Can’t recall the exact price, but around £70ish. It was the Topjob connectors that pushed the price up.

Can’t recall the exact price, but around £70ish. It was the Topjob connectors that pushed the price up.

That tally’s with a din rail box I just priced up , coming out at about £80 ish all in ..

You can, for anything up to 2.5mm sq., also consider the Ideal in-line splices. In some instances these can make for a cleaner install compared to Wagos.
If you opted to go the Wago method, would that constitute a MF joint, or accessible?
Can't quite see how it will be MF as the cables wouldn't be secured etc, neither would the Wagos be accessible without isolating the entire CU, an interesting conundrum, ripe for discussion, or derision whatever stance you take.

Weidmuller screw terminals are the ones I generally use, will use spring terminals if there's a chance of vibration.

Not overly priced. I got a heavy discount as I got 1000s a month, but I think even list price they are under a quid.

The Topjob ones I speak, having just checked on the Connexbox web site, range from 50p to a £1 plus vat. Which was a bit cheaper, me thinks, when I priced a few years back.

As an aside, the job was around A3 time, and I got some conflicting guidance on whether this enclosure should comply (don’t shoot me, I know it’s not defined as). Interestingly, Connexbox did have some pretty pics of their plastic enclosure being used to extend new CU. I rang one of their reps, who was extremely annoyed of what was being said to me. However, I can’t find those pics on their web site now.

Reply to New consumer unit installation in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock