Discuss New control panel required or not? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hello folks

I'm after some advice with my domestic property control box. I'm not an electrician, I'd kill myself wiring a plug, so I called in the professionals who on entry to my house stated my control panel was obsolete and wouldn't be safe to keep, (it's 12 years old). Normal looking panel with about 16 switches. Never had a problem with the panel or the electrics, just wanted it testing. They quoted me £500 + VAT for a new control panel. So my question is, does this sound right to you guys? Thanks for any thoughts.

There are some occasions where changing the fuse board is the best way forward. Especially if you are having significant electrical works done.

If you could give us a bit more info on why they were there in the first place and a couple of pictures of your fuse board.

When you say ‘control panel’ presumably you mean fuse box / consumers unit L

Posting a picture may help but if it’s really only 12 years old then I wouldn’t necessarily say it requires changing at all

I have heard quite a few stories of electricians telling home holders they need a brand new consumer unit simply because their old one is plastic.
Some of these a 17th
Ed dual boards less than 5 years old

I have heard quite a few stories of electricians telling home holders they need a brand new consumer unit simply because their old one is plastic.
Some of these a 17th
Ed dual boards less than 5 years old
Yeah it’s either massive ignorance on their part of the requirements/regulations or they are out to line their pockets?

There are some occasions where changing the fuse board is the best way forward. Especially if you are having significant electrical works done.

Hi, thanks for replying. No significant electrical works being done, I just wanted to ensure my fuse box / control panel was safe as it hadn't been tested for a number of years. Was told very quickly my current box isn't "compliant" and a new one needed. I'll try and get a picture for you guys.

It is unlikely to be compliant to the latest regulations as they only came out this year, the good news is that regulations recognise that it would be rude to make all existing installations suddenly dangerous so they do not mandate that all existing installations are upgraded , in fact, us electricians cannot deem an installation un-satisfactory purely based on the fact that it was installed to a previous edition of said regulations. So it comes down to how an upgrade is sold. If yours is to the 16th Edition regs, then i do believe there are some advantages that the latest regulations gives to the safety of the homeowner. My preferred board for todays regs is a metal consumer unit with individual RCBOS (special breakers).
You will need to ask what board you will get for your £500 as there are many ways to meet the latest regs some better than others.

The reg's aka the bible,
are update regularly to incorporate new technologies and techniques to improve safety on new installations.

testing should be just that, make sure the installation is as safe as it was when it was installed.

when you take your 12 year old car in for an mot, do they tell you its unsafe and you should buy a new one?

after all it no longer incorporates all the latest improvements.
you should upgrade it because it hasn't got

ABS
Seatbelt Tensioners
Collision avoidence
206 airbags
automatic coffee maker
child muting system
for that matter, wife muting system!!

NO, they just make sure its safe.

unfortunately many, many people go out regularly to do condition reports, price it cheap for the report and scare the living ---- out of the poor home owner so they feel they must urgently upgrade their UNSAFE ELECTRICS.

shame on them.

Not a great pic but hope it helps. The guy seemed really professional and knowledgable, not saying for a second he was misinforming me, just wanted to get a second opinion if possible. Really appreciate all the replies.New control panel required or not? ConsumerUnit - EletriciansForums.net

Ideally that does want changing in my opinion.

I'd probably be slightly more than £500 with that amount of circuits so price seems ok. As above though this depends on what is and how it's fitted. You won't get all RCBO's for that money I bet.

Reply to New control panel required or not? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock