Discuss New control panel required or not? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

So if I get the new board, bring down the circuits from 16 to maybe 13, RCBOs each circuit, and now add on SPD as well. Will this be the Crème de la crème of CU's or are there 10 other abbreviations I need to know about :) This property has been good to me so I'll install whatever you guys advise for a really decent upgrade.

As said before, you need to have that CU (and associated wiring EICR'erd) before moving forward. What is the property exactly, how many bedrooms/bedsits etc etc?

Out of interest, is there any way I should prepare the property before the EICR is carried out, will the electrician need access to every plug socket in every room etc? Is there anything I can do at the property to make the job easier?

Ideally the electrician will want access to every socket, light, switch or other point of connection. It's not essential but can help to get the most accurate test results if every appliance or other connected load can be isolated.

Ideally that does want changing in my opinion.

I'd probably be slightly more than £500 with that amount of circuits so price seems ok. As above though this depends on what is and how it's fitted. You won't get all RCBO's for that money I bet.
Price is way to low are they qualified electricians

Hello folks

I'm after some advice with my domestic property control box. I'm not an electrician, I'd kill myself wiring a plug, so I called in the professionals who on entry to my house stated my control panel was obsolete and wouldn't be safe to keep, (it's 12 years old). Normal looking panel with about 16 switches. Never had a problem with the panel or the electrics, just wanted it testing. They quoted me £500 + VAT for a new control panel. So my question is, does this sound right to you guys? Thanks for any thoughts.
I take it you mean by "control panel" you are talking about the CO (Consumers Unit) Fuse board as known by the uninitiated.
If these "Professionals" just came in and stated that the CU needed changing, without any testing or other checks then I would have smelt a Rat.
There may well be cause to change the CU, does your electrics have RCD protection? is there any Main bonding present? are there any records from the past to scrutinise?
Arrange fo an EICR, (Electrical Installation Condition Report)to be carried out, don't use the Blokes who came and said your control box needed swapping, not sure of prices in your area, or how many circuits you have, at a guess £350:00 should be about right, the Regulations are not retrospective, probably OK at the time of install, but if you are concerned go for the EICR. Missed the picture before I posted, I see no RCD. It may be that all is required is an upfront RCD covering the entire board, this brings with it the problem of nuisance tripping ( one fault and you temporarily lose the whole installation) and bonding if there is none hard to tell from the photo,

Last edited:

Reply to New control panel required or not? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock