Discuss New kitchen electrical safety question in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Who did the design? When I did the electrical install for a kitchen refurb, the kitchen designer position the appliances. It was then down to me, as the electrician, to ensure there was suitable points/supplies for the appliances. If the kitchen supplier did the whole thing, someone like Magnet, they are sometimes responsible for the whole lot,
Though I agree, it all depends on what the kitchen supply company quoted for. As you rightly re-iterate in your next post, the details of exactly what the kitchen supply company are responsible for should be stated. I have come across kitchen companies that just offer supply & install and in their small print it states that alterations to M&E services are not included. If the kitchen company are responsible for the complete job then the customer has every right to complain and get the job rectified free of charge.
When having a large job done such as a kitchen it is a good idea to sit with the designers explaining what you want. Positions of sockets is pretty important, not just for a dishwasher but for all the other small appliances as well.

If like some people, whose kitchens are a fashion statement and are paying the price of a small fortune for their bespoke kitchen, they deserve to sit back, and let everything to fall into place for them.

Then there's some, that want to skin a fart. In that case, they need to keep a fine eye on the details. That said, I've missed the odd socket for a cooker hood before now. Silly billy, but I put it right FOC.

Installing a new socket under the kick boards on the ring is surely a better option here. Id imagine though the kitchen company if a large company like Howdens etc will not have allowed for electrics and assumed the client would sort it out for themselves.

Whenever doing kitchen installs im always sourced by the homeowener as instructed by the kitchen company.

Installing a new socket under the kick boards on the ring is surely a better option here. Id imagine though the kitchen company if a large company like Howdens etc will not have allowed for electrics and assumed the client would sort it out for themselves.

Whenever doing kitchen installs im always sourced by the homeowener as instructed by the kitchen company.
Howdens only sell the kitchen on to the fitter....wickes,wren etc offer a full fitting service.......I’ve made loads of em good :tearsofjoy:

I'm such a pedant...so am intrigued by the idea of a 5 meter extension cable...
I suppose the meters would be volts, watts, amps maybe, but what about the other two?

Thanks, I will probably put a complaint in as I wasn't advised that i needed another plug socket.
Hi Pete, you are right to complain about this provided that it was indeed the Kitchen supply company's responsibility. A good kitchen designer would generally make good suggestions and advise that you may require additions/alterations to your M&E services. This said I have come across many inexperienced designers who are just out of college and with respect haven't a clue.
You haven't stated in this thread exactly who was responsible for the electrical design of this install. Again, an experienced electrician, (like many of the folk who have commented on this thread) would have asked to see the kitchen design and then advised/designed the electrical services to suit your new requirements.
Either way it was a poor job done, but to be fair mistakes can be made and should be rectified satisfactory. In my opinion, though the extension cable solution might well be ok & safe to use, it is a poor cop out.

I'm presuming that by the lack of reply from @Peter2009 to @James the Spark1976 question in post #9 and me asking it again in post #17 that the electrical work may not be included in the new kitchen or it is not the responsibility of the kitchen supplier.

I don’t know if this makes things worse, but Howdens are now stocking electrical and plumbing bits so your local handyman can fit a complete kitchen in one go without worrying about getting other trades in. :eek:
The stock in their catalogues are just what would be needed to move a few sockets in a kitchen, no sign of any rcd’s... just sockets, switches, back boxes and cable. All MK accessories... so I guess it saves a trip to Homebase for the fitter.

What I did laugh at was the sockets shown were round edge... the cooker switch and dp switches were square edge....
brand new fitted kitchen, nice new units and shiny worktop...complete with mismatched electrical accessories. :rolleyes:

I don’t know if this makes things worse, but Howdens are now stocking electrical and plumbing bits so your local handyman can fit a complete kitchen in one go without worrying about getting other trades in. :eek:
The stock in their catalogues are just what would be needed to move a few sockets in a kitchen, no sign of any rcd’s... just sockets, switches, back boxes and cable. All MK accessories... so I guess it saves a trip to Homebase for the fitter.

What I did laugh at was the sockets shown were round edge... the cooker switch and dp switches were square edge....
brand new fitted kitchen, nice new units and shiny worktop...complete with mismatched electrical accessories. :rolleyes:

Do they not sell 5 meter long extension leads?? That's a bit naff..

Hope everything has manufacturer's instructions with it so we know how to use it.

Reply to New kitchen electrical safety question in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock