Discuss New LED panels in 1975 home in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

AVTeckie

DIY
Reaction score
I helped my parents update their basement lights as a Christmas gift. Replaced very old flourecent fixtures with new LED panels. I later discovered that the panels are still glowing even when the switch is off. Google suggested a couple options, but I thought I should check to see how much voltage is in the line with the switch off and I measured just under 2 volts.

Now, I do have a little electrical experience and a technician diploma so I understand the fundamentals. So my understanding is that the nearly 50yr old grounding isn't terribly good anymore (if ever). I know I could just install a neon indicator light to help "burn" that last 2 volts but my real question is, ghosting aside how concerned should I actually be over it?

TL;DR
2v still left in lighting line with switch off causing LED ghosting
It's not necessarily a fault at all. It's quite common with LED lamps, especially if there's 2 way switch wiring involved. Capacitive coupling between adjacent wires allows enough current to flow to allow a LED lamp to glow.

In this case, it's not two way and the only other wiring in vicinity is at the switch for different areas in the basement. I have a hard time imagining there's enough coupling happening to generate that much voltage. I actually could isolate it entirely if I really wanted to check now that I think of it... The 3 different switches happen to be on 3 different fuses

If it is just coupling, then a snubber (capacitor and resistor in series) connected across the lamps terminals should help. Otherwise, just consider it a free night light.
The lamp at the top of my stairs (four switches), will give just about enough light to find your way up and down, if the switches are off in certain combinations.

If it is just coupling, then a snubber (capacitor and resistor in series) connected across the lamps terminals should help. Otherwise, just consider it a free night light.
The lamp at the top of my stairs (four switches), will give just about enough light to find your way up and down, if the switches are off in certain combinations.
Just gave it a try and no change. Actually measured 2.4v this time too which is a mildly curious change.

Right now it only bugs me since I'm sleeping in the basement over the holidays, but mostly I wanted reassurance that I shouldn't be arranging for an electrician quite yet

Reply to New LED panels in 1975 home in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net