Discuss New Shop Supply in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

Spudnik

Evening all,

Along with the TV shop refurb, im also in the process of a new installation in a kitchen showroom.

Anyways, long story short, the DNO came in to install, what i thought would be a 3 phase supply. but apparently (unknown to me) have installed a single phase 3 wire.

Any reason for them only supplying 2 phases and not 3?

I wasnt there at the time so i couldnt ask them but this is what they gave us:

New Shop Supply {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

New Shop Supply {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

Cheers!

Hi Jason
Ive fitted the trusty old ampy meters good multi purpose meters ! anyway looks like either they got wires crossed pardon the pun and only supplied as you said 2 of 3 phase id call them if you require the full 3 phase ! either that or the meter recert/opp was bursting for a pee and got carried away and only gave you 200a instead of 300a.
Regards
Kung.
No ident or phase colours either.
Worked with some right idiots at scottish and southern energy (still southern electricity board to me) what you have to reolise is that out of 50 recert ops i knew only i had qualifications and 1 was training so none of them had a clue of what the supply is used for ie loading etc they just replace like for like so new installs etc baffle them jointers supply the feed and cutouts and meter installers do rest upto outgoing meter feed to supplied cu tails or fit as you have tripple pole isolator.
Hope this helps
Kung.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Kung,

The customer didnt ask for three phase and its not even really needed.

There is a fair bit of equipment going in, but certainly not enough to warrant 3 phase.

I think a call to the DNO is needed as you say.

Cheers.

Hi again Jason whoever ordered the supply prob told DNO that demand was between 100a-200a so they provided the 200a to feed 2 cu's etc at least your know what to ask for !
Regards
Kung.

Mmmmm

Strange one that buddy, dont understand why if they weren't asked for a 3P supply they would install anything other than 1P.

As for the 2P the only time I've seen it is in old church installations where the DNO used to supply 1P for power and lighting and 1P for the old electric heating, and they would insist on it being done this way.

:confused:

Mmmmm

Strange one that buddy, dont understand why if they weren't asked for a 3P supply they would install anything other than 1P.

As for the 2P the only time I've seen it is in old church installations where the DNO used to supply 1P for power and lighting and 1P for the old electric heating, and they would insist on it being done this way.

:confused:

Agreed Lenny it is strange ! ive seen lots of houses with 3ph cutouts and only 1 ph is used and the other 2 have blanks carriers sometimes they do install these in prem where you may need another ph later they just need to blank ph 3 off and leave the single that ampy meter will do any ph combination handy ones they are ive used these on 1,2 & 3ph.
Regards
Kung(Tony) at last the stig has finally revealed his name ! :D

25sq mm ann copper pvc sale code 583026 ABB cables Aghafad Longford Ireland we used 50mtr drums managed to forget i had 2 reels in my garage when i left !

Last edited by a moderator:
Following on from Jasons post I know it all depends on ib but practically what are you looking at demand wise when going from 100amp single phase to two phases like in jasons shop

Could it be Jason, thats what was there before and the board have installed like for like perhaps, or a mistake at there end on there paper work, strange innit that though must admit.

Could it be Jason, thats what was there before and the board have installed like for like perhaps, or a mistake at there end on there paper work, strange innit that though must admit.

No, its a brand new suuply brought in from the road.

Before this supply was installed, it was only single phase.

You would have thought it would be 3 phase then. Perhaps you could speak to the dno? One way to check if its split phase is if you have 460volts between phases. Hope this helps. Any way off out now to have a few beers.:d:d

You would have thought it would be 3 phase then. Perhaps you could speak to the dno? One way to check if its split phase is if you have 460volts between phases. Hope this helps. Any way off out now to have a few beers.:d:d

First job Monday, is to contact the DNO.

Enjoy the beer!

Will be intresting to hear what happend Jason ! Is worth checking for split but norm in rural/remote areas unless requested.
Regards
Kung.

Hi Jason, could it be that they are using a 2 rate meter using the second line for storage heaters? (trying to balance the loads) I'am not saying this is right, its just an idea, worth just checking to see if you have 400v between phase’s at the TP & N isolator, we will all look forward to see what the out come is on this one is. :)

Quick update.

Turns out its 2 phases.

The owner had requested 3 phase and when they came to install it, there was only 2 phases available in the street, so thats what we got!

Cheers

Reply to New Shop Supply in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock