Discuss New to forum - laser cutter / general grounding help needed! in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Nadine

-
Reaction score
Hi everyone

So my electric-based knowledge is pretty low, but I have my own laser cutting business so am having to get to grips with a few things! Any answers are helpful.....

I run a 45W laser from a residential building, this is an import from USA. I have been looking at upgrading the laser, but need to check its grounded properly (as apparently it sends up to 20,000V thru tube when live!).

Because it is a US system, obviously the plug can't go straight in the wall....
It goes through the following system:

Laser plug (w. ground pin) -> US 4-gang socket (w.ground pin)
US 4-gang socket with air pump etc.(w.ground pin) -> 110V to 220V EU transformer (supplied by laser manufacturer)

The plug coming off this transformer then has no ground pin, but it has the grounding contacts seen on EU plugs.
And the adaptor (again supplied by manufacturer) has no ground pin.

I've attached images, hopefully in sequence so you can see.

My very elementary question, if there is no ground pin in the plugs going into the plug socket, is there a problem with my ground connection from the laser?

Explanations to convince me I'm safe (and ridicule!) welcome

New to forum - laser cutter / general grounding help needed! 20180316_161507 - EletriciansForums.net

New to forum - laser cutter / general grounding help needed! 20180316_161529 - EletriciansForums.net

New to forum - laser cutter / general grounding help needed! 20180316_161558 - EletriciansForums.net

New to forum - laser cutter / general grounding help needed! 20180316_161632 - EletriciansForums.net

As you say the US / UK adaptor has no earth.

The transformer plug has no earth.

Is the transformer part of the Laser package? or is it "compatable" and is just a transformer?

Any part number or coding on the transformer? Look for SELV / PELV perhaps

Hi Nadine and Welcome to the Forum!
I'm sure you'll get the help you need here :)
The need for earthing will depend on the design of the connected equipment and since it had an earthed plug for use in US, it's likely it will need one here too. Perhaps some pics of the things connected to the transformer?

Hi Maddocks

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly

Yes the transformer plug has no earth - I was sent the whole thing as a package from the US, but it is not manufactured by the supplier, and they seemingly don't ship many to the UK. (It is a really dumb question coming from me - if the plug has no earth, the supply is not earthed through the house wiring?)

Transformer: No numbers - its SIMRAN 110V
Simran Thg-1000t Step up & Down Voltage Transformer Converter for 110v & 1000w | eBay - https://www.ebay.com/p/Simran-Thg-1000t-Step-up-Down-Voltage-Transformer-Converter-for-110v-1000w/840650943
Believe it might be this one
Again shipped from the supplier

Thanks

Nadine

I do not like the look of that white power supply the pins look incorrectly spaced from the edge.

Westward10 - do you mean the adapter with "Europe" written on it? (Final image). As this is the one I'm worried about! The others are US plugs so I have no comparison to what they should look like ...

Wilko - connected to the transformer .....
Full Spectrum Laser - https://fslaser.com/Product/Hobby This laser machine
A 110V air assist pump
A 110V exhaust fan
A 110V water pump system
(All 4 in the 4-gang US power strip, which then goes into the transformer) ... transformer then into the white square adapter with Europe written on it, then into the wall socket

Does the transformer have a data plate?

Personally I would bin the Euro to UK adaptor, cut the Shucko plug off and fit a UK plug.

However the above would only be carried out once the earthing and power requirements of the transformer are known.

Agree with all the adapter concerns. It's something you don't want. I do think the machine looks like it should be earthed for safety. An alternative might be to run the dingus off a balanced 110V site supply - what do you think Brainiacs?

A few years back, I installed a circuit and made the connection for a laser cutter imported from China.
Whilst making the connection, I was very surprised to see the size of the internal Earth conductor.
Looked no larger than 1mm2, whilst the live conductors were 6mm2 or 10mm2.

Hi everyone

Thanks so much for all of your replies - good to know I wasn't being daft thinking this plug converter was garbage!

Strima - I would prefer to rewire a UK plug onto the transformer....
But the information I know about it is limited.
From the side of the transformer:
Input: 220V
Stepdown transformer
Max 500 Watts
500 Watts Step Down Voltage Converter - http://www.220converters.com/500-watts-step-down-voltage-converter.htm

I think the inside earth connection for the laser is solid.
I have attached an image, it earths the case + the PSU case.

New to forum - laser cutter / general grounding help needed! 20180319_113120 - EletriciansForums.net

Reply to New to forum - laser cutter / general grounding help needed! in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock