Discuss Newbie pricing help please. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Casper, anyone can do electrical work WITHOUT actually doing any course what so ever.....You pass your driving test at 9am, then at 9.01am you’re legally allowed to drive on a motorway at 70+mph.....

Hi fitzy what qualifications did you gain from the course you went on mate?

Grow up fitzy. What a ridiculous thing to say. Yes you don’t have to do courses but you are going into peoples house and they are paying you. You said your doing it part time well that is silly in its self. How are you going to gain the experience you need doing it that way. Ultimately what happens when you get a fault or a problem. Personally I think you are delusional.

Ha, ha, you’re so funny Casper, I think you’re the delusional one mate.

As I said, I already have a full time job, hence doing it on the side to gain the experience, before deciding if I want to make full time career change, I know I have a long, long, long way to go to gain any sort of experience, but we all have to start somewhere.....If I get a fault or problem I will work to fix it (won’t be calling you though), do you know how to fix every fault/problem without asking for help? We all sometimes pay good money to strangers for everyday jobs to be done, because that person has said they can do it....You probably have more experience than I’ll ever learn,but that doesn’t mean I don’t have the right to try and gain some of that experience for myself.

Casper, anyone can do electrical work WITHOUT actually doing any course what so ever.....You pass your driving test at 9am, then at 9.01am you’re legally allowed to drive on a motorway at 70+mph.....

Yes but just because you pass a Electrical course does not mean your an Electrician.

An for people to do a 4 week course do the part p and Regs then join a scheme and be allowed to work in people's homes should be made illegal.

Anybody doing private work in someones home should have so many years on the tools the appropriate electrical apprentiship or electrical tech certs, Am2 and nvq 3.

Or make it against the law to work In someone's home without insurance and a mandatory factor in getting that insurance should be the obove.

In my oppinion

NO you will not be ringing me. I have enough experience to sort all faults out otherwise I wouldn’t be working for myself. I mean about the part time electrician bit is you have to do it full time. I still read up and learn things in the evening to make myself even more knowledgable. But you are doing it part time to see if you like it. You sound like an 18 year old who’s playing at it. My problem initially was with the 4 week courses not you but then you come across as a spoilt little brat who thinks it’s fine to just go into peoples houses and charge money to fiddle about when you have no clue whatsoever as to what you are doing. Let’s just hope luck is on your side and nothing goes wrong and no one gets hurt.

As I said before Casper, you are funny.....

So you’re saying your the Big Headed “I know everything” bloke.....There’s always one.....Only reason I can’t go all out full time is because ima grown man with a mortgage and bills to pay, so need a steady wage coming in. I’m talking years and years down the line will I even consider a full career move. As for “spoilt brat”, a brat maybe (been called worse by kids), but definitely not spoilt, had to work very hard for everything. I’m meticulous and methodical in everything I do. I didn’t come on here to get in to arguments or slanging matches,just for help and guidance, which on the most part I’ve got, but you seem to have this chip on your shoulder and a holyer than thou attitude.

You have your opinion, I have mine and others have theirs, I’ve already agreed that I have a very long way to go to gain the experience that you and others have. I think we need to shake hands (virtually of course) and move on.

I wish you all the luck in the world my friend.

NOT big headed. I don’t know it all. When I started as a 30 year old I had a mortgage 4 kids two cars and I went for it full time. I started on £10 per hour. Very hard but I was committed to it. However you are playing at it. Like I say spoilt little brat.

Well said Spoon, apologies if I upset anyone, all said in the heat of the moment, all forgotten by tomorrow. ;) ;) ;)

If you price a job why the hell would you offer a discount for finishing early ?
I've done that a few times ........ mostly when I'm doing a "long" list of jobs and I've given a very vague estimate of time. You can't charge for 3 days when you've only been onsite for 2!
Not really talking about an estimate here though. If a quote was accepted then you carry the risk if it takes longer so why shouldn't you reap the rewards if it takes less time?

If you price a job why the hell would you offer a discount for finishing early ?

Not really talking about an estimate here though. If a quote was accepted then you carry the risk if it takes longer so why shouldn't you reap the rewards if it takes less time?

I think it's a great idea. Think about it..
Just imagine a customer telling all his mates that an electrician gave him money back as he finished the work earlier than expected...
How many are going to say "What an arse" and how many are going to say "What's his phone number"?

I think it's a great idea. Think about it..
Just imagine a customer telling all his mates that an electrician gave him money back as he finished the work earlier than expected...
How many are going to say "What an arse" and how many are going to say "What's his phone number"?
All well and good, but are they going to give you extra for it taking longer than you had anticipated?

All well and good, but are they going to give you extra for it taking longer than you had anticipated?

True, hence why sometimes it’s prudent to over estimate. I also do shirt printing with my wife and we always give a longer lead time to complete a print run than it really does and completing it earlier has gotten us plenty of repeat work.

It’s unjust that you can put the same accreditation on your van that I and others in this forum can.
I 100% agree with that idea everyone in life being given the opportunity to retrain and change their careers ,to better themselves.

But I will never agree that someone after 20 days can safely and legally complete electrical work in somebody’s home.
All this is ruining the publics confidence in scheme providers as they can no longer be seen as a certification of competence.

Also the saturation of the domestic sector caused by this part p scam is causing wage compression on a huge scale.
ANYONE CAN MAKE A CIRCUIT WORK it’s a lot harder to make it disconnect in time and for the circuit to be safe.

somewhere around 50ma can kill a human being.
I wouldn’t let you anywhere near my house after 20 days in a training centre.

You’re a risk too my children’s life’s, and let’s be clear the public wouldn’t let you anywhere near their property if they knew the extent of your training and what could go wrong.
Learn some humility earn your stripes get some experience. Your a electricians mate, a improver at the very best.

our vocation isnt easy we work with a force that as a species we don’t fully understand.

Slow down, charge less and work with and learn from a experienced electrician

But to get the accreditation from one of the regulatory bodies I still have to pass the same assessment as everybody else, to prove my competence. I appreciate all your opinions....

Reply to Newbie pricing help please. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net