Discuss Newbie pricing help please. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

The spice girls music is really good = OPINION

Your not safe to work unsupervised in someone's home = FACT

The scam providers have the same requirements as your training provider.

Do you have a pulse?
Do you have a credit card?
Welcome to the NICEIC

Mods???????? before it's too late
The spice girls music is really good = OPINION

Your not safe to work unsupervised in someone's home = FACT

The scam providers have the same requirements as your training provider.

Do you have a pulse?
Do you have a credit card?
Welcome to the NICEIC
Just about the best description of the Scams entry qualifications I have seen.

[QUOTE="Your not safe to work unsupervised in someone's home = FACT[/QUOTE]

In your opinion.....

But as long as NICEIC, ELECSA, STROMA or NAPIT, say I’m competent then that’s all that matters, they said you was competent, but that’s not a FACT, just their opinion.....

At least I was honest that I’d only done a week course, how many others on here have kept that quiet.....

As I’ve said many times, I know I’m on a very long, long road of gaining experience, I’ve even arranged to do a few days of following/watching a 25 year veteran sparky (unpaid) to gain some on hand experience.

I nearly crashed the mewp when I read “why do you need a pulse” lol

In response to fitzy. I really don't won't this too turn in to "mine is bigger than yours"

I don't know when In time I became a electrician, I just know now that I am one.

You can wave all the bits of paper you like in my face it doesn't mean nothing compared to experiene .
Skilled trade means, just that a SKILL.
Skills are earnt though hard work not brought with hard cash.

If you don't have any respect for the vocation of being an electrician than at least have some respect for electricity.
Poor Tony cable who has being working with electricity since man was on the moon knows 5 electricians dead" that's right DEAD.

We just need another MP's daughter to be electrocuted and this madness can all end.
It's all a very bad dream

20 days to be a sparks
What's next
35 days to be a gynaecologist?

@Fitzy

Have you been interested in the electrical field for a while or have you just started learning?

I’ve been dong electrical work on my own properties and a few family & friends for over 30 years whilst being in the fire service. Me and my brothers have always fitted our own kitchens from stripping out to refitting, the majority of it was all done before part p came in in 2005, only the odd socket, light here and there since then. So as I’m coming up for retirement from the fire service I thought I need to look for a trade after I retire. I’ve worked alongside veteran sparkies in the fire service, doing the first fix etc, but never took notice of what they were doing on the second fix as I was helping other trades at that point of the builds.

Which one have you joined?

I haven’t joined anyone yet, I’m gonna be concentrating on only small non-notifiable jobs to begin with until I’ve gained some experience, before I take on any notifiable work or even think of doing an assessment.

I haven’t joined anyone yet, I’m gonna be concentrating on only small non-notifiable jobs to begin with until I’ve gained some experience, before I take on any notifiable work or even think of doing an assessment.

Good idea because you can't do any harm with non notifiable work can you.

Next time you go abroad I'll be interested to hear your reaction if the pilot comes on the PA saying something like

"Good morning this is your captain speaking. This is my first time flying an aircraft, although I did a few weeks in the classroom on Flight Simulator. I thought I'd skip the rest of the training as I can practice on short budget flights like these where no one wants to pay much. Enjoy the flight"

I would recommend trying to get experience by working as an electricians mate.It's alright having the qualifications but its the practical experience to go with it.To do it in a training cubical is totally different to walking into someone's house where the electrical installation installed and added to over years sus out how it is wired and can you add a few double sockets to it.

I 100% agree with the above post !!

A little story..
A few days ago an old mate of mine text me and said" how much to add a socket half way up my wall for a wall mounted TV."
I thought to myself oh no, it's a newbuild its an akward job, its an old mate so I feel I cant make much money, Im in the process of setting up on my own and the phones been non stop.
I could really do without this !
Anyway I kind of ignored the message, I thought to myself I'll reply at the weekend. (I know what your all going to say).

Anyway yesterday afternoon he rang me from his Car, at 7:30pm he wanted to talk to me about this Electricain ( his wife's friends husband, or something) thats is still in his house.
He wanted to know if it's right that it usally takes 2days trying to install a twin socket he's said the guys been drilling holes everywhere and struggling, I don't think he knows what he's doing, he continued to tell me how this guys been trying to line holes up from upstairs to downstairs.
I the end he had to go to help the bloke pull a cable down.

I was checky and asked the price it was less than £150 and the chaps been there 2 long days already and he was still there !!
It looked from the pics that the chap had really tried the end job was probably safe but, 2 days ??

Anyway what the guys are saying is, although you may work safe, it's the little things we pick up when we all did our training that matter.

Simply things like unrolling cable, using trunking lid etc to fish cables up dot and dab walls etc. Leaving a bit of slack when second fixing lights etc, hundreds of tips past on from the older generation that hopefull we will be able to pass on.

Please don't get offended, but Electrics can be a gutty unrewarding job sometimes, and domestic is the worse :(

Im not bothered if anyone gets offended. No body asked me if I was offended when they infiltrated my profession.

Real electricians of the world unite, pick up you stock and die and wage war, rage against the infidels amongst us.

In the name of the true prophet Tony cable let's take back our land.
We're electricians
were skilled professionals.
We are not 4 week Wonder's.
We've earn't a place at gods table with our crooked knees and our arthritic fingers.
We walk amongst legends we ARE gods.
They can take our jobs but they will never take our freedom.
Death to part P

do you know what type of wall it is? if its brick youre going to regret your 3 hour price

I have chased walls before, for over 30 years since I was at school. Before someone invented a machine to do it as well.....I find it very therapeutic. Originally I thought it was the complete job in one go, chase, install, wire it up, test and complete the certificate, but now it’s first and second fix which is easier and more achieveable.

Fitzy dont take this the wrong way but looking at your profile you are not a newly qualified sparky and you may want to think about your profile title. This thread has gone a bit of topic as you wanted advice on pricing a job but you have to respect the fact that qualified sparks on here have spent years training and learning all aspects of the job. One of your posts stated you are a bit to old to go and gain all the qualifications needed yet some mature forum users on here are well into there 40's and have taken the long route to becoming fully qualified. Some of the competent person scheme requirements are very basic with years experience in domestic installations and testing and some are just laughable take your money make me a cup of tea here's your new logo for your van certificate scams.
By all means do small non notifiable work within your capability but always remember its not always about just connecting up a couple of sockets charging a customer for the privilege and worrying about undercutting local trusted sparks. This forum is a world of knowledge and information and will help anyone but if you are getting ripped apart there is normally a reason behind it.
Good luck for the future and remember you are never to old to learn.

Reply to Newbie pricing help please. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net