Discuss Newbie pricing help please. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Charge by the quarter of the hour after the first hour.

If you try £65 per hour, you won't get much work ............................ as there are very few people who will pay £487.50 per day for a spark.

Obviously the £65 per hour is for odd jobs here and there, if I’m quoting on jobs that’s going to take a full day I’ll have a set day rate. I’ve already got full time job at the moment so it’s not about the money at present, it’s more about going the invaluable experience, so if I have to lower my rates to a more reasonable figure, then I can, but I definitely don’t want to severely undercut the local sparky’s and have a war on my hands.

£65 an hour for odd jobs seems optimistic too

As said previously, it has to be worthwhile to do the job, so based on the previous comments, £65 to install a new socket seems reasonable to me.

I’ve quoted the job at 2-3 hours and they only pay for the time it takes, if it goes over 3 hours I’ll suck it up to begin with, I’ll get faster/better as time goes on, so it will be more achieveable in the future.

I’ll see how this system works out and go from there, if I have to, I’ll reduce my rates.

If I cut my arm off today on the carpenters table saw as I’m cutting noggins, and I required the services of a local electrician to finish my extension at my home.
I would not and I repeat would not pay more than £25 an hour on a daily rate.

A small job say a socket added to a A3 radial next to an existing socket. It would have to be chased in, under filled with bonding thistle coat, meeting all the requirements of bs7171 and I’d wont to be presented with a minor works certificate.

I’d be happy to pay no more than £80. That’s including materials.
So looking at the job, getting your tools in, doing the job tidying up, doing the required tests, then driving to the next.
Your looking at wasting at least three hours of your working day. Then minus the materials

Your Never be rich in this game no matter what they told you on the phone at the training Center or what some chump sais down the pub.Money is equated to penis size it’s always a lie when someone sais £65 an hour cut it In halve , at the least!!
If you won’t £65 an hour get yourself a flux capacitor and go back to when you was 16 then train as a lawyer.
Good luck

Good news.....The customer has accepted my quote of £150 for 3 hours, plus materials (guessed at £50), one wall is a plasterboard stud wall, so pretty simple to mount the back box (he has a room plan from when the house was rewired 5-6 years ago and the cables run alongside both walls), the other is an external brick wall, where he now wants 2 x double sockets, which aren’t gonna be seen as they’re going behind/in his wife’s new, all singing, all dancing dressing table (it’s all in a bare non-decorated bedroom). He also said his got a mate coming over in a couple of weeks to make good the plastering around the 2 chased in back boxes & cable runs and also said he’ll pay me another hours labour to come back and second fix these 2 sockets and complete the paperwork.

The best previous quote was from the electrician who done his rewire and that was an eye watering £500.

I’m happy with my first quote/job to be honest.

Thanks for all your help guys..... :) :) :)

The best previous quote was from the electrician who done his rewire and that was an eye watering £500.

£500 for fitting 2 sockets..
3 possibilities:
1. The electrician is trying it on...
2. The electrician is busy and doesn't want the job.
3. The customer was a complete pain to the electrician, when he did the rewire, and he doesn't want to go back.

Hope for your sake it's not 3....

I've been asked to add a couple of new sockets to ring final and was unsure on how to price the job. Per hour plus materials or a set price based on the individual jobs. Per hour I thought about £25 plus materials or £40-£50 plus materials per individual job.

I'm not after what any of you guys charge as that's your private business, I just don't want to under price myself, but get a gauge of at least being in the ballpark. The last thing I want to do is to severely undercut other electricians in my area and cause problems, but at least being the same ballpark allows the customer to make the final decision.

I’m based in Redhill, Surrey, so I’ll be working mainly in Surrey & Sussex.

The clue was in his first post "Surrey"

"Most of the sales in Redhill over the past year were flats which on average sold for £239,669 . Semi-detached properties had an average sold price of £420,329 and terraced ..." (off tinternet)

£500 for fitting 2 sockets..
3 possibilities:
1. The electrician is trying it on...
2. The electrician is busy and doesn't want the job.
3. The customer was a complete pain to the electrician, when he did the rewire, and he doesn't want to go back.

Hope for your sake it's not 3....

Not that after 4 weeks you'd be competent enough to be working for yourself. Four years maybe..

If I was doing Domestic I would factor in the average house price of the area and what's parked on his drive. Those at the higher spectrum of the earnings ladder don't mind paying more for a good Electrician who's knows his job I'm sure.

Isn't Surrey where all they bankers..footballers and chief executives live...?

Last edited:
Good news.....The customer has accepted my quote of £150 for 3 hours, plus materials (guessed at £50), one wall is a plasterboard stud wall, so pretty simple to mount the back box (he has a room plan from when the house was rewired 5-6 years ago and the cables run alongside both walls), the other is an external brick wall, where he now wants 2 x double sockets, which aren’t gonna be seen as they’re going behind/in his wife’s new, all singing, all dancing dressing table (it’s all in a bare non-decorated bedroom). He also said his got a mate coming over in a couple of weeks to make good the plastering around the 2 chased in back boxes & cable runs and also said he’ll pay me another hours labour to come back and second fix these 2 sockets and complete the paperwork.

I’m happy with my first quote/job to be honest.

Thanks for all your help guys..... :) :) :)

Good news well done.

Hopefully that will be start of things to come for you.

I’m not going full time working for myself just yet, got a few years of gaining experience yet, this is just gonna be on my days off as I work shifts, so get a good set of days off all the time. My aim is to go part at my main job and be a sparky part time as well, it’s too late in my life to be looking at a complete full time career change.

Yep, do your best, get it right, test before and after.
Protect the carpet and all other things around from damage. If needed take a quick photo before and after which also helps if you need to move anything.
It’s a great feeling when you extend a ring across a room, take up carpet, underlay, boards, make holes, run cables, test and then put everything back and the customer says to you that it’s like you’ve never been in there!
You punch (pocket punch) the air and know word of mouth will come.
Enjoy experience, it does take time.

Protect the carpet and all other things around from damage. If needed take a quick photo before and after which also helps if you need to move anything.
It’s a great feeling when you extend a ring across a room, take up carpet, underlay, boards, make holes, run cables, test and then put everything back and the customer says to you that it’s like you’ve never been in there!

Luckily enough it’s a bare bedroom, the customer is remodelling as it’s the master bedroom, no carpets just bare boards, all walls to be re-skimmed and made good, then decorated, carpeted and new expensive light up dressing table being fitted. As I said he has a detailed drawing of each room in the house, showing where all the cables are run, rough location of every socket, switch etc, very nice detailed job done by previous sparky.

Luckily enough it’s a bare bedroom, the customer is remodelling as it’s the master bedroom, no carpets just bare boards, all walls to be re-skimmed and made good, then decorated, carpeted and new expensive light up dressing table being fitted. As I said he has a detailed drawing of each room in the house, showing where all the cables are run, rough location of every socket, switch etc, very nice detailed job done by previous sparky.

I'm not too far from Surrey,
most people in my area charge £200-250 a day, or between £50-70 per socket.

If you work out what you want to charge per point, work out roughly how long the job will take (including materials) and reach a happy medium you should be ok.

I'm fortunate that where I live alot of folk will pay a bit more for someone they know and trust, you will always get those charging silly money, the generally mentality in my area, is get 3 quotes and pick the middle one.

Absolutely terrifying to think someone is doing electrical work in a house after 4 weeks. I have had an apprentice for one week and I would not be leaving him in another 3 weeks. Scary stuff that these courses are allowed to be run.

Casper, anyone can do electrical work WITHOUT actually doing any course what so ever.....You pass your driving test at 9am, then at 9.01am you’re legally allowed to drive on a motorway at 70+mph.....

Grow up fitzy. What a ridiculous thing to say. Yes you don’t have to do courses but you are going into peoples house and they are paying you. You said your doing it part time well that is silly in its self. How are you going to gain the experience you need doing it that way. Ultimately what happens when you get a fault or a problem. Personally I think you are delusional.

Reply to Newbie pricing help please. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net