Discuss NICEIC approved contractor first visit in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Info for anyone currently looking to join,

Whilst I was very nervous the night before, there is no need to be, as long as you know how to test and your upto date with the regs, then this is a breeze,

Inspector arrived 9am,
Quick meeting explaining about the scheme.
Went through the office audit,
Check all paperwork etc, compliance with building regs, HSE, Risk assessments, safe isolation procedures, QS qualifications, no photocopies allowed, looks at your testing equipment and means of calibration. Selects 3 test certificates.

Then onsite to site visit, had 3 new builds to show them, looks round at the general standard of work and that everything complies with building regs etc,

Carry out safe isolation, lock off, remember to keep the key in pocket, first test was ze. Explained why your doing it and what the allowances are for each earthing system, then PFC, explain why we do it, (icn values) then full test on final ring, end to end, prove all polarity, across neutrals also, then R1+R2, (do cross connections at a socket if you do not want to tackle the ccu) compares your result to what you have on your test certificate, should be exactly the same. Explain why we do insulation resistance test, and expected results, what are allowance for different voltages. Board back on, carry out rcd testing, explain what happens in the test and expected results, (1/2 1x 5x I delta n) explain disconnection times allowed etc. Second job, looks around, checks bonding, makes sure everything complies, look inside board, check everything is all ok, another rcd test on both rcd's, checks against cert. live zs test on sockets (your measured zs will be higher if you are testing through rcds, as you are testing with no trip) zs = ze + R1+R2 these calculations prove the circuit is compliant. Asks some more questions about the regs, nothing to catch you out, if your unsure look it up, they are there to give you advice, your allowed to ask questions, guy was a really nice bloke. Onto 3rd, again looks around, main bonding checked, quick look on board, he is just checking your work is consistent, 3rd job had board in garage, again safe isolation, did R1 + R2 on a radial circuit, checks your results, board back on, live zs test, rcd check, checks against cert.

Back to the office, fills out his paperwork, tells you if you have any non conformances, in my case I had 3, one on each job, although nothing major, it was simply you have to have a circuit details chart next to the board, mine was in the welcome pack, (nobody wants this on the wall in there house, he understood that) just advised sticking it to the inside of the ccu door.

It was a pass, now an approved contractor along with domestic installer.

Like I said before, if you now how to test properly and why you do the tests, expected results along with the relevant regs, you'll breeze it.

Whilst I was very nervous the night before, there is no need to be, as long as you know how to test and your upto date with the regs, then this is a breeze,

Inspector arrived 9am,
Check all paperwork etc, compliance with building regs, HSE, Risk assessments, safe isolation procedures, QS qualifications, no photocopies allowed, looks at your testing equipment and means of calibration. Selects 3 test certificates.

Then onsite to site visit, had 3 new builds to show them, looks round at the general standard of work and that everything complies with building regs etc,

Carry out safe isolation, lock off, remember to keep the key in pocket, first test was ze. Explained why your doing it and what the allowances are for each earthing system, then PFC, explain why we do it, (icn values) then full test on final ring, end to end, prove all polarity, across neutrals also, then R1+R2, (do cross connections at a socket if you do not want to tackle the ccu) compares your result to what you have on your test certificate, should be exactly the same. Explain why we do insulation resistance test, and expected results, what are allowance for different voltages. Board back on, carry out rcd testing, explain what happens in the test and expected results, (1/2 1x 5x I delta n) explain disconnection times allowed etc. Second job, looks around, checks bonding, makes sure everything complies, look inside board, check everything is all ok, another rcd test on both rcd's, checks against cert. live zs test on sockets (your measured zs will be higher if you are testing through rcds, as you are testing with no trip) zs = ze + R1+R2 these calculations prove the circuit is compliant. Asks some more questions about the regs, nothing to catch you out, if your unsure look it up, they are there to give you advice, your allowed to ask questions, guy was a really nice bloke. Onto 3rd, again looks around, main bonding checked, quick look on board, he is just checking your work is consistent, 3rd job had board in garage, again safe isolation, did R1 + R2 on a radial circuit, checks your results, board back on, live zs test, rcd check, checks against cert.

Back to the office, fills out his paperwork, tells you if you have any non conformances, in my case I had 3, one on each job, although nothing major, it was simply you have to have a circuit details chart next to the board, mine was in the welcome pack, (nobody wants this on the wall in there house, he understood that) just advised sticking it to the inside of the ccu door.

Like I said before, if you now how to test properly and why you do the tests, expected results along with the relevant regs, you'll breeze it.
And you're OK with this carp are you? of course you are silly of me to ask.

Well done with your approval

Out of interest only
Is it usual for niceic approved contractors to show only domestic work ?
I thought that different installation types had to be shown

Out of interest only

Didn't think it was allowed, it never used to be... but then again it's all £££££££££££££

Out of interest only
not if that's the only work you have done

@Des 56 You normally just show them 3 jobs in the scope of work you carry out...they can request you show more jobs if the assessor things your works carp or he thinks your trying to pull a fast one by showing 3 minor jobs. On your annual assessment he likes to look over the paperwork of a few EICR's you've done. I normally show a decent sized commercial job, a big house that's got the lot in and a small basic new build. My assesor is very thorough and knowledgeable but a nice bloke. Going to blow my own trumpet here.....just had my annual assessment and my assessor said to me I'm the best QS on his patch :D:p

@Des 56 You normally just show them 3 jobs in the scope of work you carry out...they can request you show more jobs if the assessor things your works carp or he thinks your trying to pull a fast one by showing 3 minor jobs. On your annual assessment he likes to look over the paperwork of a few EICR's you've done. I normally show a decent sized commercial job, a big house that's got the lot in and a small basic new build. My assesor is very thorough and knowledgeable but a nice bloke. Going to blow my own trumpet here.....just had my annual assessment and my assessor said to me I'm the best QS on his patch :D:p
That could change Lee if I ever moved to Kent:D

Bet he says that to all the QS he meets, the old smoothie :p:D

Inspector arrived 9am,

What was his name as the one that we had came from Nottinghamshire, north Northamptonshire was the only patch that came up but I think a patch has come available (due to retirement) in your part of the world if it is the same one sound bloke he's off tools been electrician to Q.S. knows in practical terms not one of these pen pushers everything black and white.

I'm not surprised at that Lee, my assessor said my surface clipping and general workmanship was the best he'd seen for ages. Mind you I did make a fuss of his guide dog.:D

Reply to NICEIC approved contractor first visit in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock