Discuss No bathroom RCD in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I still can't see wha'ts wrong with just putting them on a click connector. When you have unplugged it and are sitting with it on your knee I think all poles would definitely be isolated, not that its needed as has been mentioned. If your overly worried about doing the manufacturers job for them just stick an FCU in the loft and run it off that. I think you will find most householders want a minimum or other crap stuck anywhere including above doors.

It's building regs where the requirement for fan isolators came from.
So that lights can be left on to work on the fan.
BS 7671 does not require triple like isolation as said above.
I agree that we shouldn't have to fuse down fans because the manufacturer can't be bothered to make parts to a higher current rating!!
Anyway under amend.3 we only have to take manufacturers instructions into account.... Not follow them like sheep!!

It's building regs where the requirement for fan isolators came from.
So that lights can be left on to work on the fan.
BS 7671 does not require triple like isolation as said above.
I agree that we shouldn't have to fuse down fans because the manufacturer can't be bothered to make parts to a higher current rating!!
Anyway under amend.3 we only have to take manufacturers instructions into account.... Not follow them like sheep!!

Also at per Reg, if it has a window (for light) is doesn't require an isolator for the fan!!!!

Also at per Reg, if it has a window (for light) is doesn't require an isolator for the fan!!!!
Reg 132.15.202; Every fixed electric motor shall be provided with an efficient means of switching off, readily accessible, easily operated and so placed as to prevent danger.

Not sure which book but I know 100%

That's OK then. :lol:

Basically it's common sense some of the regs. Eg if you have no window you can't see without a light so you need an isolator to keep lights on

By that logic, it would be impermissible to install an in-line fan in a loft unless there were also a loft light installed so that you can see to maintain it. :rolleyes4:

That's OK then. :lol:

By that logic, it would be impermissible to install an in-line fan in a loft unless there were also a loft light installed so that you can see to maintain it. :rolleyes4:

There's exceptions to everything really, so you would still be an isolator. And a touch, but you can't do everything the same way, like a tt system and a tncs requirements are different as to zs

Which part of that reg requires a local fan isolator ?
Reg537.3.2; devices for switching off for mechanical devices (is an electric fan a mechanical device?). Reg 537.3.2.1, 'notes' gives examples for switching off for mechanical maintenance; multipole switch, circuit breaker, CPS, control switch operated contactor & plug & socket.

Last edited:

Reply to No bathroom RCD in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net