Discuss No bathroom RCD in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

No bathroom RCD {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

As per pics, this is good enough for me. Window no isolator, no window isolator

Don't get me wrong, i always install them but if the install will be a pain in the backside, if it's got a window I can choose to exclude one

What book is that? It doesn't look like an approved document as per your earlier statement.
It looks more like an IET picture book guide

Indeed. It's not even the On-Site Guide, let alone BS7671. Interestingly, the On-Site Guide doesn't make any such statement.

Nevertheless, I usually fit a 3 pole isolator for bathroom fans, simply to allow the householder to easily switch it off in the event of it becoming noisy (while waiting for it to be repaired or replaced) or for any other reason that takes their fancy. (Like Midwest's midnight pee!)

Last edited:
It's electricians guide to the building regs , so it must be in the building regs somewhere, also refers to on the front covering approved document p electrical safety and bs7671 WIREING regs which is all IET aswell

It's electricians guide to the building regs , so it must be in the building regs somewhere, also refers to on the front covering approved document p electrical safety and bs7671 WIREING regs which is all IET aswell

That does t make it part of an approved document or the regs, just the opinion of the author.

Thats for a bloody great lathe or a conveyor, not a piddling bathroom fan.

At what point do you make the distinction? Can you quantify 'bloody great'?
Can you give a specific power rating at which an isolator is required?

An inline fan contains a motor, and it will at some point require Maintainence so it needs a means of isolation.
It is my opinion that a plug/socket connection is the most sensible soloution to this.

And there is the scenario of isolating the fan at night, so one can go for a silent pee. Not sure that's in the regs though!
We have isolators above doors. Not sure how that eliminates me kicking the bed corner and walking in to the door frame. Isolator or not, there's nothing quiet about a midnight pee when I'm involved. [emoji3]

Just searched through building regs. Can't see anything in there to that effect.

Read the page posted, it's all should and it is usual.
Not must be and it is required.

But it's written in a book published d by the IET therefore it must be taken as gospel and holy scripture and followed at all times by everyone capable of blindly following along like sheep and incapable of independent thought.

But it's written in a book published d by the IET therefore it must be taken as gospel and holy scripture and followed at all times by everyone capable of blindly following along like sheep and incapable of independent thought.
Not so, because we remind people that publications such as the GNs, OSG, articles in Wiring Matters, etc. are just author's opinions, not Regulations.

Reply to No bathroom RCD in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock