Discuss No cpc, really. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I might be going out on a limb here, your good work aside, would you be suggesting to your client to consider rewiring, unless they were elderly with not too many years left on this mortal coil?

What makes you think a rewire may be advisable?

It looks like 1960's cabling to me?

And I know where we are going with this, if it tests out ok etc etc. But last time I checked, cable manufactures give their cables a 20 year life span, so we are looking at 50 years plus. When is a good time.

Peeves me that some people will spend mortgages on new kitchens & bathrooms, but won't spend anything on the infrastructure of their properties.

I might be going out on a limb here, your good work aside, would you be suggesting to your client to consider rewiring, unless they were elderly with not too many years left on this mortal coil?
Actually the installation doesn't have a huge amount wrong with it. A new rcbo board was put in by other parties a few years ago to a good standard. Very little has changed since it was put in apart from a new kitchen power circuit. We did suggest it may benefit from a rewire should it become vacant but what is wrong is nearly all put right just a few outside lights to replace which have corroded away. All cpcs now sleeved and connected into the roses one broken batten to replace.

TBH I feel you guys are being a tad harsh, if the cpc's were tucked out of sight behind the ceiling roses, with no connected cpc's at the rose termination, then it's not unreasonable to code it as no cpc's present at the point of termination. Of course the fact that they were present should have been observed, but it's hardly the crime of the century. The fact that there is a sticker clearly stating the circuit numbers suggests this was not a 'drive by' EICR as stated, the inspector had in fact noted a defect......you cant do that from a van parked outside.

TBH I feel you guys are being a tad harsh, if the cpc's were tucked out of sight behind the ceiling roses, with no connected cpc's at the rose termination, then it's not unreasonable to code it as no cpc's present at the point of termination. Of course the fact that they were present should have been observed, but it's hardly the crime of the century. The fact that there is a sticker clearly stating the circuit numbers suggests this was not a 'drive by' EICR, the inspector had in fact noted a defect......you cant do that from a van parked outside.
He noted a defect which was not existent. It was worthwhile redoing all the lighting points as some of the cpc connections were somewhat tenuous so apart from what I can't see it is sound enough. I would say again this was inexperience, they saw no cpc at the roses and thought no earth but I looped to the fixing screws which were clearly 2BA and not wood screws. Tap through the back of the roses indicated metal boxes.

Actually the installation doesn't have a huge amount wrong with it. A new rcbo board was put in by other parties a few years ago to a good standard. Very little has changed since it was put in apart from a new kitchen power circuit. We did suggest it may benefit from a rewire should it become vacant but what is wrong is nearly all put right just a few outside lights to replace which have corroded away. All cpcs now sleeved and connected into the roses one broken batten to replace.

That makes sense. I do get errked when some feel frightened of suggesting the 'R' word on a very old installation, just 'cos it tests out ok. I had to replace a damaged socket on a similar aged property, that had the horrible 'green goo'. It tested out fine, but I advised considering a rewire. Not that I would consider the job meself.

He noted a defect which was not existent. It was worthwhile redoing all the lighting points as some of the cpc connections were somewhat tenuous so apart from what I can't see it is sound enough. I would say again this was inexperience, they saw no cpc at the roses and thought no earth but I looped to the fixing screws which were clearly 2BA and not wood screws. Tap through the back of the roses indicated metal boxes.
My issue is really with the 'Drive by' EICR comment, because very clearly it was not, a defect was observed even if digging a little deeper would have resulted in a different outcome. I feel we all need to bear in mind that when carrying out an EICR only a percentage of points are removed for inspection and the correct procedure is to carry out the test with a minimum of dismantling. This inevitably means that an inspection, no matter how conscientiously carried out, can never be exhaustive and is always likely to miss a defect. Smartasssparks later finds that defect and suddenly that EICR is branded a 'Drive by' and the original report rubbished. Unless we are all carrying out 100% sampling, (be honest, nobody is) then those in glass houses should be very wary of lobbing bricks.

I don't believe I have ever used the term drive by. A defect was not observed, there was no defect to observe. The notice states three circuits have no cpc, not true they are evident in the consumer unit. I looped all ceiling roses in less than 15 minutes and removed one to verify the presence of the hidden cpcs. The previous individual saw no cpc present and made an unfounded assumption instead of realising they were fitted to BESA boxes.

And I know where we are going with this, if it tests out ok etc etc. But last time I checked, cable manufactures give their cables a 20 year life span, so we are looking at 50 years plus. When is a good time.
The last time I saw 20 years listed for cable life was for VIR/TRS cables...

It looks like 1960's cabling to me?

Peeves me that some people will spend mortgages on new kitchens & bathrooms, but won't spend anything on the infrastructure of their properties.

I believe they give cables a minimum lifespan of 20years loaded to their full current carrying capacity 24/7.

It would be advisable to rewire if significant alterations are needed/going to be made to avoid a lot of joints or mismatched wiring, but not essential.

I believe they give cables a minimum lifespan of 20years loaded to their full current carrying capacity 24/7.

It would be advisable to rewire if significant alterations are needed/going to be made to avoid a lot of joints or mismatched wiring, but not essential.
So you agree with me then.

So you agree with me then.
Every jobs different though, isn't it. You can get to see lovely jobs done in the old stuff. Plenty problems occur when additions and alterations are made, especially involving the original CU's which are lacking in capacity, as well as standards. Old installations, invariably, have so few outlets.

Reply to No cpc, really. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net