Discuss No Power for Washing Machine, Help! in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

L

linzilou72

Does anyone know anything about washing machines??

WM wouldn't turn on this morning no power or lights on panel, checked the socket and found reverse polarity:eek: Checked 13A fuse in plug, still fine.

I have lived here 5 years and the landlord has never had Periodic not once.

Anyway would this have blown the circuit board?? or do you reckon it might be one of the componts gone which could be replaced?

Didn't have time to take it apart this morning gonna have a look later, hope it's something simple cos I don't fancy washing the ol mans skidy's in the sink for next few days:rolleyes:

Oh and the drum didn't spin in opp direction like we were taught at college cos of pole reversal, why not?

Reverse Polarity of the single phase supply for a washing machine does not effect on machine, it might be some anyother problem...

Asif

washing machine motors are by no means standard, have various windings for different speeds etc and are run from an electronic circuit board, and I think (but am not sure and am open to correction) that the motor is DC.

Cant see why reverse polarity would all of a sudden cause a problem, if it hasnt for previous 5 years, could be a coincidence.

I would whip the top/back off it, and if its nothing obvious get an appliance repair person in, because he/she might just say 'happens all the time with these,you need X,Y,and Z and it will work again'

Then again they might not.

And make him wash his own skiddys.

washing machine motors are by no means standard, have various windings for different speeds etc and are run from an electronic circuit board, and I think (but am not sure and am open to correction) that the motor is DC.

Cant see why reverse polarity would all of a sudden cause a problem, if it hasnt for previous 5 years, could be a coincidence.

I would whip the top/back off it, and if its nothing obvious get an appliance repair person in, because he/she might just say 'happens all the time with these,you need X,Y,and Z and it will work again'

Then again they might not.

And make him wash his own skiddys.

Yeah probably one of the internal fuses, get your multimeter out. Chances are the electronics have gone anyway, built in obsolescence, so it might be cheaper to just throw it away. You could argue the case that the mis-wired socket caused the fault but chances are the landlord would make you go to court, negating any money you might get. You could try pushing him by saying the electrics are dodgy and need a full I&T, that will upset him

Last edited by a moderator:
>>if the motor is a universal series>>
A domestic appliance will not have that motor set up.
Or your hoover could blow instead of suck, your cooker hood would blow rather than extract, your fridge would get hot rather than cold and host of other stuff.

Even if you reversed motor windings, it would still run in one direction only, no matter what the incoming polarity (assuming no pole reversing motor switch gear was used)

So even though you are being pedantic with reasons of how to alter direction, it is not possible by changing polarity at source and thus direction of the motor by swapping L&N, the motor will still run as configured.

Try it, cut your hoover cord, and place a pole reversing switch between, the hoover will still suck

Last edited by a moderator:
>>if the motor is a universal series>>
A domestic appliance will not have that motor set up.
Or your hoover could blow instead of suck, your cooker hood would blow rather than extract, your fridge would get hot rather than cold and host of other stuff.

Even if you reversed motor windings, it would still run in one direction only, no matter what the incoming polarity (assuming no pole reversing motor switch gear was used)

So even though you are being pedantic with reasons of how to alter direction, it is not possible by changing polarity at source and thus direction of the motor by swapping L&N, the motor will still run as configured.

Try it, cut your hoover cord, and place a pole reversing switch between, the hoover will still suck

Watts old chap, I was not being pedantic, just responding to your statement that you cannot reverse them without using capacitors, which is incorrect

I wrote my reply as I did to PROVE what you are saying not argue with it!

Of course, if you reverse both field and stator (or just incoming supply) motor will run in the same direction.

And since when do they not fit universal series to domestic aplliances?????? erm.......you know that many washing machine motors have brushes? In fact many domestic appliance motors have brushes - why? Obviously if they were induction motors (squirrel cage) then there are no brushes, so they must be (*Shakey titters at the memory of nearly 20 years teaching motors and generators to technicians*) Universal series

And i wasnt being pedantic:p:p

Watts old chap, I was not being pedantic, just responding to your statement that you cannot reverse them without using capacitors, which is incorrect

I wrote my reply as I did to PROVE what you are saying not argue with it!

Of course, if you reverse both field and stator (or just incoming supply) motor will run in the same direction.

And since when do they not fit universal series to domestic aplliances?????? erm.......you know that many washing machine motors have brushes? In fact many domestic appliance motors have brushes - why? Obviously if they were induction motors (squirrel cage) then there are no brushes, so they must be (*Shakey titters at the memory of nearly 20 years teaching motors and generators to technicians*) Universal series

And i wasnt being pedantic:p:p

Is pedantic a word youve nicked out the regs book.:confused:

the easiest way to fix washing machines is to substitute bits off others ,go down the tip and rob a few control panels and try it ,you might be lucky and find one the same as yours .or they might have one in that works ,thats what i would do
good luck:)

Cheers chaps, fixed ol washimg machine it's up and running, rang a washing machine repair man that did PAT and said got power coming in to capacitor then circuirt board, going out to relay switch etc etc. He said he didn't know what I was talking about my knowledge was way beyond his;)Suggested I throw it away.

I had a look at all the connections blew on them replaced them and would you believe it the bloody thing worked. Think something might have come loose.

Eveything that breaks down now I open up and take a look, fixed a fan for cheap landlord the other week, switch mechanism gone. Why throw things away when they can be fixed for few pence?????

Hi Shakey thanks for that.
Perhaps I misunderstood the comment in the first post in this thread
>>Does anyone know anything about washing machines??
Oh and the drum didn't spin in opp direction like we were taught at college cos of pole reversal, why not?>>
So I presumed it would be a single phase induction motors, so in the context of the question I said you cannot reverse the motor by changing polarity, what I should have said, you cannot change direction by reversing polarity at source. I presumed most people would not dismantle the motor and reverse field.
‘A domestic appliance will not have that motor set up’ -as in context with the original comment, washing machine.
I should have said a domestic appliance will not have pole reversing capability. (simply by reversing polarity at source)
I may be wrong of course, but I thought most if not all domestic washing machines used induction motors.
I’m not sure, but even if a universal motor was connected to a dc supply rather ac, pole reversing at source would still make no difference to direction, would it?

Hi Shakey thanks for that.
Perhaps I misunderstood the comment in the first post in this thread
>>Does anyone know anything about washing machines??
Oh and the drum didn't spin in opp direction like we were taught at college cos of pole reversal, why not?>>
So I presumed it would be a single phase induction motors, so in the context of the question I said you cannot reverse the motor by changing polarity, what I should have said, you cannot change direction by reversing polarity at source. I presumed most people would not dismantle the motor and reverse field.
‘A domestic appliance will not have that motor set up’ -as in context with the original comment, washing machine.
I should have said a domestic appliance will not have pole reversing capability. (simply by reversing polarity at source)
I may be wrong of course, but I thought most if not all domestic washing machines used induction motors.
I’m not sure, but even if a universal motor was connected to a dc supply rather ac, pole reversing at source would still make no difference to direction, would it?

absolutely right Watts old fella, reversing at source will make pretty much make any motor spin in the same direction

I am not really responding to the original post, just the bit about reversing using capacitors, and domestic appliances not using universal series, both which were incorrect

some washing machines use induction, some use universal (which is why they have brushes!!!)

and hey its good to talk;)

Yeah it’s good to talk, especially about anything not to do with placing a socket/fan/light within 2nano mtrs of a bath tub -;)

I know where I get the idea washing machines always use induction motors (I now realise they don’t always,- brushes wear out, good after business sales for washing machine manufacturers/repair guys)

Anyhow a year or so ago I read an article about some guy whom used an induction motor from an old washing machine, (hence I automatically presumed all washing machines used induction motors, perhaps an automatic washing machine -: ))…he converted it to a generator, powered by the wind, in effect an early day wind turbine.

It did work but I remember he had problems with stable useable voltage, a very expensive dimmer switch I thought at the time.
Well I’m a bit crazy myself, maybe the motor would be better powered by a fast running stream/river?

Would that be possible, would it be possible to get 500watts say, from a standard washing machine motor, even if only 100v ac?
I know the motor/generator would need to spin at a good rate of knots, but I presume that would be possible with clever gearing.

Going further into madness, could universal motors be used, the same in a fast running stream/river, perhaps several wired in parallel which would provide a dc output, which in turn would power an ac motor/generator?
Going if possible even crazier, sun magnification, like err ..loads of magnifying glasses, you know point the mag glass at the sun, set fire to paper type of thing.
Well why not make real big ones that will boil water, a steam turbine..a power station without coal/gas/oil. I know the sun don’t always shine, but the wind doesn’t always blow, yet friggin windmills are springing up all over the place
Ok I’m going crazy but to me seems easy..

I want to go on scrap heap challenge -;)

Yeah it’s good to talk, especially about anything not to do with placing a socket/fan/light within 2nano mtrs of a bath tub -;)

I know where I get the idea washing machines always use induction motors (I now realise they don’t always,- brushes wear out, good after business sales for washing machine manufacturers/repair guys)

Anyhow a year or so ago I read an article about some guy whom used an induction motor from an old washing machine, (hence I automatically presumed all washing machines used induction motors, perhaps an automatic washing machine -: ))…he converted it to a generator, powered by the wind, in effect an early day wind turbine.

It did work but I remember he had problems with stable useable voltage, a very expensive dimmer switch I thought at the time.
Well I’m a bit crazy myself, maybe the motor would be better powered by a fast running stream/river?

Would that be possible, would it be possible to get 500watts say, from a standard washing machine motor, even if only 100v ac?
I know the motor/generator would need to spin at a good rate of knots, but I presume that would be possible with clever gearing.

Going further into madness, could universal motors be used, the same in a fast running stream/river, perhaps several wired in parallel which would provide a dc output, which in turn would power an ac motor/generator?
Going if possible even crazier, sun magnification, like err ..loads of magnifying glasses, you know point the mag glass at the sun, set fire to paper type of thing.
Well why not make real big ones that will boil water, a steam turbine..a power station without coal/gas/oil. I know the sun don’t always shine, but the wind doesn’t always blow, yet friggin windmills are springing up all over the place
Ok I’m going crazy but to me seems easy..

I want to go on scrap heap challenge -;)

Hi
Over the last few years i have collected an imense amount of info about sustainable energy ,including old patents from the late 1800s ,its nothing new most old electrical text books cover the subject in some way or another as for "electricity from the sun" i think you will find telefunken have got that all worked out there patents are available on line and make interesting reading,as does all the other stuff if your into it
i have designs of my own which would work but to develop them on a large scale would not be practical.
as for hydro electric if you dam the rivers you dam the people,thats the problem,but at least drowings better than being suffocated by CO2.
I often find im at odds with some of my friends as i think necular power is the only practical way to go as the amount of energy we consume world wide is so great .
and as far as washing machine motors are concerned,car altenators work better if you want your own windmill
have fun:)

Nope, I don't want no dave cameron type futile domestic turbine, they are just greenwash. I have to agree nuclear energy is the only practical solution at present...but who knows, some geek may invent a super conductor generator, 3mw from a hamster wheel....i'm on it.
ps I don't think hydro always means dams, maybe a generator powered by niagra falls, victoria falls etc. The main problem it seems to me, is inventing a super efficient generator, not the natural resources already available.

Reply to No Power for Washing Machine, Help! in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock