Discuss Nuisance tripping after splitting a ring main in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Evening everyone

Had to re post as I started a post within a post:grimacing:

here's hoping I'm posting in the right part or I have started off on the wrong foot.
Long story
Asked by a friend to look at his friends electrics as the kitchen ring was tripping the RCD.
New colours cable
on 32amp B MCB
one of only 3 on the this bank protected by an RCD
5 double sockets
plus a bank of 6 FCU's

Before I went there I had him remove all the plugs plus and turn off the FCU's
believing that this would help narrow down the problem.
But it did not.
so drove to Leytonstone about 45 mins from me
where we split the ring at a double socket and we believed that we had found a the problem which was a bit of cable in the wall between one of the FCU's and a socket in the cupboard.
all this time the other leg was working fine.
So we managed to replace the cable and we seemed to be on the home stretch, when the other leg started to trip I been there for about 5 hours and it was 9pm by now so turned the ring into a radial thinking this will do until I get time to investigate further.
so left at 10:30pm and everything seemed fine only to get a call today saying that the MCB had tripped but not the RCD and thoughts apart from run.

Thought,
There's a fualt on the rnig.

Did the 2 halves test O.K, without the "faulty" bit of cable,
Thought,
There's a fualt on the rnig.

Did the 2 halves test O.K, without the "faulty" bit of cable,
As I had to admit at the start I rushed stright in without testing as I thought I had asked the right questions and had got them to remove plugs and turn off FCU's

I know big mistake

You going back tomorrow?
You should forget about what you have already done.
Just start off methodically, test out the complete circuit, L-N,L-E,N-E.
Don’t take any short cuts, you will find it in no time.
If not tomorrow then at some point this week
Are you saying reconnect the two legs and test it as a ring?
This will sound lazy and that's what's got me in this position a few of the fcu's have neons fitted so would it be ok to test at 250v rather than 500v

Yes I would put everything back as it was and start again from sqaure1.
Just switch all the FCUs off or remove the fuses and unplug all appliances.

Ok will do
Asking questions now because of distance to job
If they come back as ok
Or I get a fault what would you suggest my next course of action should be in either case
Bearing in mind I thought I'd solved the problem by turning the ring into a radial

What he said ^^^^.

Because, you've got a fault you didn't appear to have at the start. (does friend's friend know the difference between RCD and MCB?

You may find it's something (silly, in a rush) you've done, go back to everywhere you've been.
Is the old bit of cable still there?

Morning everyone
i did double check the MCB RCD question and he assures me that this time it was the MCB.

As for the colours at the board they are the same and on the few sockets that we investigated they were the same

Did you down rate the MCB when converting the circuit to a radial? If so, possibly something is being switched on that has a high start up current that is causing the MCB to trip?

Did you downrate the MCB when converting to a radial? If so, possibly something is being switched on that has a high start up current that is causing the MCB to trip?
No as I did not have a 20 amp on the van at the time and I knew that I was going back there and that with the stuff he had running there was not a danger. Almost wish that was the case

update on tripping
fridge and freezer were plugged into an extension lead which was plugged into a circuit that is controled by the other RCD at 9 am this morning and has not tripped but the orignal RCD tripped about 30 mins ago with nothing running in the kitchen.
Any thoughts please

Reply to Nuisance tripping after splitting a ring main in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock