Discuss Nvq for cps membership. in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Oh sorry i didn't realise this was school.

I could tell from your self importance by making the whole thread about you even though nobody said anything about you that you'd try to crack the E-whip because you wanted to be able to say what you wanted without anyone trying to refute it. 'Wah i wanted the last word but you responded, i'm staff don't you know!1111' Pathetic.

Spoiler: nobody actually cares that you're 'staff' around here. It's an online forum for chatting. If you don't like what i say then ban me or something, it'll make you feel really big and i literally won't care.
Have to correct you there chap.
Most of us care. SparkyChick is one of the members I rate highest on this forum. In terms of her knowledge and professional attitude.

Just to clarify, you should have renewed in September last year right?

I'm going to phone member services tomorrow and make some enquiries - for a friend ;)

Quite frankly I think it's disgusting they are giving you the run around... less than 12 months and you've got to jump through all the new member hoops... it's just wrong!
Update please SC.
Did you get around to ringing them?
You know we expect and need updates immediately, otherwise we suffer withdrawal symptoms.

Unfortunately, I've not had time. Things beyond my control... well... mostly.... me shoving a drill through two of my newly installed cables on the rewire I'm working didn't help, and today time has just run away from me.

I'm not working on Monday as I have to be home to have our dead gas meter swapped out, so I'll give them a ring then.

Just to highlight anomalies like this I have a curious case of disappearing competencies going on. This year I saw that I no longer have EICR as a competency. As I did the 2397 (now extinct) I was told that C&G regard that as the C&G2394. It is in fact a qualification at lvl 3 for inspection and testing and verification. It also involved being tested on a very large rig with random faults lasting four hours etc. So there is no doubt I have a level 3 cert for Initial testing and verification, as such it is equivalent to 2394. I also have the 2395, which also included 7 hours (I kid you not) of random faults generated through switches and resistors etc. not to mention the then written test which is pretty stiff I can tell you.
I have had the EICR competency for several years through STROMA, NICEIC, and latterly NAPIT. I have done literally hundreds of EICR commercially (mostly) and domestic and have fifty years experience in the trade. But I cannot now do EICR???? according to the scheme. Yet a Johnny come lately can, crazy! I don't mind too much as I am retired now and only doing bits and bobs but still it is galling.

I think there are probably a number things that need to be addressed after the changes to and the implementation of the EAS requirements last September whether these are looked at remains to be seen

I have never understood how can you have existing members whose training and certificated level is below the new 2021 entry requirements and not require that they meet the new standard within a defined timescale to continue their membership

As in the OP's lapsed membership case why can't they allow a membership "renewal" on the condition that they achieve the level needed to meet the September 2021 entry requirements within a defined period

It begs the question as to why the EAS standards were set so low in the first place, the synical amongst us would probably suggest that the schemes found a way to make a quick buck and rode on the back of the supposed skills shortage and now having realised that their standards are being criticised they are closing the gate on a long since bolted horse

Just to highlight anomalies like this I have a curious case of disappearing competencies going on. This year I saw that I no longer have EICR as a competency. As I did the 2397 (now extinct) I was told that C&G regard that as the C&G2394. It is in fact a qualification at lvl 3 for inspection and testing and verification. It also involved being tested on a very large rig with random faults lasting four hours etc. So there is no doubt I have a level 3 cert for Initial testing and verification, as such it is equivalent to 2394. I also have the 2395, which also included 7 hours (I kid you not) of random faults generated through switches and resistors etc. not to mention the then written test which is pretty stiff I can tell you.
I have had the EICR competency for several years through STROMA, NICEIC, and latterly NAPIT. I have done literally hundreds of EICR commercially (mostly) and domestic and have fifty years experience in the trade. But I cannot now do EICR???? according to the scheme. Yet a Johnny come lately can, crazy! I don't mind too much as I am retired now and only doing bits and bobs but still it is galling.
And this just sums up how stupid the industry has become

They would rather have sham EICR's rather than genuine EICR's that have been conscientiously carried out and correctly reported

Unfortunately, I've not had time. Things beyond my control... well... mostly.... me shoving a drill through two of my newly installed cables on the rewire I'm working didn't help, and today time has just run away from me.

I'm not working on Monday as I have to be home to have our dead gas meter swapped out, so I'll give them a ring then.
Thank you for your help.

I tried several times to get through to them yesterday but kept getting a recorded message telling me they were unable to answer my call, so I'm waiting for them to call me back.

I tried several times to get through to them yesterday but kept getting a recorded message telling me they were unable to answer my call, so I'm waiting for them to call me back.
Maybe you are a blocked number🤣🤣

@BruceBanner ,

I had the conversation this morning... essentially there is a limit of 2 years in which your last assessment report can be used as evidence of relevant experience after that you need to meet the new member joining criteria.

Unfortunately they phoned me at a somewhat inconvenient time and I wasn't able to have a deeper discussion than that I'm afraid.

Hi,

Yeah I spoke to someone i deal with there yesterday to. Basically they cant offer me anything but an nvq course, cant go live with them til thats completed.

On further discussion with them it was admitted they have ''Thousands'' of members/applicants in the same boat. Both previous members and new applicants who have every ticket going except the nvq/am2, years of experience & previously allowed under grandfather rights by proving competence, but missed the deadline. Their was provision for lesser qualified members to extend membership or get in before that, with no conditions on attaining further qualifications. However no allowance was made for time served applicants who missed the deadline, to gain membership on the condition the nvq part was attained, which I was already looking at doing.

I have found this previous this on a previous thread from 2017, still looks to be valid. Spoke to Napit about this also, they are well aware of it as a perfectly valid option for sparx who didn't want to join a scheme etc.

https://www.------.org/career/profe...ctricians/electrician-competence-recognition/

I am now going down this route, still going to do the NVQ but may well end up not joining a scheme at the end, I am pretty ----ed off with the whole thing at the moment. The powers that be have got it wrong on so many levels.

Many thanks for trying anyway.

Reply to Nvq for cps membership. in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock